Size is deceptive

oowee

Out foxing on Monday night and bagged a good sized fox noticeably larger than any other recently. It weighed in at 22lb which is pretty hefty given the average weight is around 15lb, making it about 30% heavier. I wouldn't bother weighing them ordinarily but a mate had a set of scales handy, so why not.

To put it in perspective the largest shot in GB (Wiki) is a gigantic 38lb shot in Aberdeenshire in 2012. Roy Lupton shot a 35.5lb in East Grinstead also back in 2012. There are some true monsters out there.

I thought he might be worth a bit of taxidermy on the tail for prosperity too 🙂 

copy fox - Copy (2).jpg

4d764282-99af-4185-9f50-102e08fa61fa.jpg

14 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I might have some somewhere if I have a think. He was a big boy. The kids decided they wanted to take him home, they hung him off an electric fence post to carry him back, it was a sight! If I remember right he was 42 inches from nose to tail and 36lb. I'll try and find the pictures. 

At 36lb I suspect much bigger than 42 inches. This one measured at 43. What surprised me most is that it was not a lot heavier given how big it looked to be. The lupton one at 35.5lb measured at 51 inches. 

I remember him being big that's all. I dug him not far from the border of a little shoot. He was sat in the bottom of the hole growling at the dog. I expected to find a lot of feathers in the hole because he'd been helping himself to poultry and pheasants galore. What I wasn't expecting was 3 massive, half eaten lambs in the hole. He'd had to travel a very long way to find them. He was a beautiful fox and pre ban would have made for a good days hunting!