Lark decoy

Walker570

I have memories of seeing pictures of a decoy appliance which had mirrors which rotated and where for attracting larks. Does anyone have any photos of such.  I saw what I believed might have been one today and would like more details.

The one today was clockwork and made in brass with an iron ground stake

Edited by Walker570

Similarly I read somewhere that in years gone by  mirrors were useful in attracting Crows. However, neither could not be used today for the purpose of taking wild birds - see Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981 section 5 (c) (vi)

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have memories of seeing pictures of a decoy appliance which had mirrors which rotated and where for attracting larks. Does anyone have any photos of such.  I saw what I believed might have been one today and would like more details.

The one today was clockwork and made in brass with an iron ground stake

I saw one a few years ago that was built like a pyramid with small pieces of mirror glass on the three sides , this one rotated round so it would catch the sun in any direction , unlike the one ditchman spoke of , this one was to deter Pigeons and not to encourage them .

Sorry to go off course a bit , but this one was nothing to do with Larks . 

I have seen one working  either in the dvd collection of Out Of Town or the Bygones collection. Might find on Youtube if you haven't got. Operated by by spring and pulling a cord. I understood from my dad and other ol boi's that they were supposed to attract by birds thinking the reflection was  a shimmering puddle/ source of water. Remember one my granddad made and used knocking around when we were kids.     NB

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

I have seen one working  either in the dvd collection of Out Of Town or the Bygones collection. Might find on Youtube if you haven't got. Operated by by spring and pulling a cord. I understood from my dad and other ol boi's that they were supposed to attract by birds thinking the reflection was  a shimmering puddle/ source of water. Remember one my granddad made and used knocking around when we were kids.     NB

You're right NB, Jack Hargreaves shows how they worked in one of the Out Of Town DVDs entitled the Lost Episodes, comprising of a circular disc with pieces of mirror on it.

OB

Thanks everybody. I have looked Lark decoys up and come up with a number similar to those shown above BUT non show any resemblance to the piece of equipment I want identifying so I might just be wrong about the purpose.  Unfortunately I cannot get pictures before Thrusday next week so will post them then or Friday.  Watch this space.

I am wondering if the article I have seen was designed to cause a projectile to fly up for target practise similar to a clay. When wound up it spins at great speed and is directional.

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks everybody. I have looked Lark decoys up and come up with a number similar to those shown above BUT non show any resemblance to the piece of equipment I want identifying so I might just be wrong about the purpose.  Unfortunately I cannot get pictures before Thrusday next week so will post them then or Friday.  Watch this space.

I am wondering if the article I have seen was designed to cause a projectile to fly up for target practise similar to a clay. When wound up it spins at great speed and is directional.

iv'e seen something like that for sending wind vane type targets into the air ,and I advised the bloke to get some targets made rather use the antique ones that where in the boxed set up  !      hope this is of help DD 

also seen a Lark Mirror that was tee shape with two strings that  spun it round and pulled back again .

Edited by derbyduck

26 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

iv'e seen something like that for sending wind vane type targets into the air ,and I advised the bloke to get some targets made rather use the antique ones that where in the boxed set up  !      hope this is of help DD 

also seen a Lark Mirror that was tee shape with two strings that  spun it round and pulled back again .

I have a feeling that you may be on the right track. I will have photos toward the end of the week.  Certainly an interesting piece of equipment.  It is just too well made to be just a decoy.

Found it via good old Google.   It is a Bussey's Patent Gyro Pigeon launcher.  I'm no good at putting pictures on here but if interested before Friday pull it up on Google.

One full kit was sold at Bonham's in 2007 for over £400.   It was designed to launch propellor type targets into the air.

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Found it via good old Google.   It is a Bussey's Patent Gyro Pigeon launcher.  I'm no good at putting pictures on here but if interested before Friday pull it up on Google.

One full kit was sold at Bonham's in 2007 for over £400.   It was designed to launch propellor type targets into the air.

thats the one !

On 09/01/2020 at 19:59, marsh man said:

I saw one a few years ago that was built like a pyramid with small pieces of mirror glass on the three sides , this one rotated round so it would catch the sun in any direction , unlike the one ditchman spoke of , this one was to deter Pigeons and not to encourage them .

Sorry to go off course a bit , but this one was nothing to do with Larks . 

apart from the homosexual sparrow that flew backwards for a lark😉

The one you are on about was on antiques road show years ago .

If I'm correct it was what looked like a length of wood with mirrors attached at different angles to reflect sunshine while it was spinning at speed

something on the lines of this one but I think the one on tv was flatter / longer 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-larks-skylark-decoy-wooden-491249108

vintage-larks-skylark-decoy-wooden_1_6603d9fb4ddce1911c3e0f957299b25e.jpg

Edited by hodge911

• 2 weeks later...

This reminded me of the old French song `A`loutte` (spelling !), anyone remember it ? Used to sing it at school.

Translated it was about plucking a lark ready for eating. I bet the snowflakes if they`ve ever heard it, would go mental, or more mental than they already are.

All part of French life then, possibly still is.

OB

Alouette, gentille alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Aloutette, gentille alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tete
Je te plumerai la tete
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le bec
Je te plumerai le bec
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le nez
Je te plumerai le nez
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le cou
Je te plumerai le cou
Et le cou
Et le cou
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le dos
Je te plumerai le dos
Et le dos
Et le dos
Et le cou
Et le cou
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette je te plumerai
Alouette je te plumerai

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I wonder how it would have sounded if The Singing Postman have sang it after a couple of pints of 4xs , mind you , even without a beer you would have had a job to understand him and his little nicotine gal 

🎵"molly wimbley ...she smoke loike a chimeny...she's moi little nictotine gal ".............................a ya gort a loit ....ay yew gort a loight boi..."🎼

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:
Alouette, je te plumerai
Aloutette, gentille alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tete
Je te plumerai la tete
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le bec
Je te plumerai le bec
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le nez
Je te plumerai le nez
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le cou
Je te plumerai le cou
Et le cou
Et le cou
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le dos
Je te plumerai le dos
Et le dos
Et le dos
Et le cou
Et le cou
Et le nez
Et le nez
Et le bec
Et le bec
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
Oh
Alouette je te plumerai
Alouette je te plumerai

You've clearly got too much time on your hands TC to type all that out :hmm:

On second thoughts, you're probably on nights........ and bored.

OB