7.62x39

Lloyd90

Does anyone shoot a 7.62x39 here in the UK?

I have a slot for a 308 / 7.62 and am considering picking up a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 in a CZ 527 - great looking little guns. 

I am just wondering if I will be able to get any factory ammo? If not I can always reload but worth checking? 

Not sure if I would have to ask for a variation for it or not? :hmm: 

I can get Sellier & Bellot 139g FMJ for £61/100 locally. You should be good depending on the RFDs around you.

South Yorks were happy with calibre instead of chamber, so x51, x39 or x54R or .308 were all good on the one slot. West York used to be very fussy though and I had friends who had 54R refused as their FEO insisted 7.62 was NATO

3 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Yes I have one great little fun rifle and a few options for factory ammo though not widely stocked.  I stalk with mine so have to reload to get the velocity and expanding bullets. 

You’ve got the CZ 527 in 7.62x39? 

What do you stalk with it mate? Just Roe or other deer as well? Apparently quite good out to distance as well. 

As said, in standard form it does not come up to the legal requirement to shoot der here in the UK but with care it can just be handloaded to make the grade and with the right bullet can be an excellent cartridge for our smaller deer.     Even better still necked down to 224.:yes: starts to get on par with the 22 Bench Rest.

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You’ve got the CZ 527 in 7.62x39? 

What do you stalk with it mate? Just Roe or other deer as well? Apparently quite good out to distance as well. 

Yes I use a 7.62x39 cz 527 as does another stalking mate.  123grain Hornady SST 311 bullets on RS36 gets to deer legal in both just under book max but I’ve a slightly hotter load as well.  I shoot roe and fallow with it. 

it’s accurate but lots of drop at range, it’s a carbine I use it woodland stalking so most shots 50-100 yards but we’ve messed around on a range shooting clays at 300 yards consistently.  Open land longer shots I prefer my 308 or 30/06.  

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Yes I use a 7.62x39 cz 527 as does another stalking mate.  123grain Hornady SST 311 bullets on RS36 gets to deer legal in both just under book max but I’ve a slightly hotter load as well.  I shoot roe and fallow with it. 

it’s accurate but lots of drop at range, it’s a carbine I use it woodland stalking so most shots 50-100 yards but we’ve messed around on a range shooting clays at 300 yards consistently.  Open land longer shots I prefer my 308 or 30/06.  

What do you think is better then a CZ 527 in 7.62 or say a short (20") barrelled 308? For a bit of all round plinking and stalking? 

308 is much more versatile than the 39 especially with a standard (20”) barrel I shoot mine at woodland deer but can also reach out to 600 yards comfortably.  

the 39 is a fun second stalking rifle great in woodland no good on the hill imho.  Fun to plink with I’ve used mine on steels to 500yrds it’s like a mortar 

a short barrelled 308 (16”) is another option in the woods and short range (300 yards)  range work plinking etc. 

I’m closer to you now if you want to pop down and have a look at the 39 give me a shout. 

37 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

308 is much more versatile than the 39 especially with a standard (20”) barrel I shoot mine at woodland deer but can also reach out to 600 yards comfortably.  

the 39 is a fun second stalking rifle great in woodland no good on the hill imho.  Fun to plink with I’ve used mine on steels to 500yrds it’s like a mortar 

a short barrelled 308 (16”) is another option in the woods and short range (300 yards)  range work plinking etc. 

I’m closer to you now if you want to pop down and have a look at the 39 give me a shout. 

where you moved to? 👍🏻

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Lloyd, Welsh Warrior is talking a lot of sense on a subject where bull and loyalty to calibre reigns.

I have used a 20 inch barrelled .308 since 1989 for stalking ( no range work). Money couldn’t buy it from me!

What do you use mate? 

I know Daf knows his stuff 👍🏻 He’s a very good gunsmith. 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Lloyd, Welsh Warrior is talking a lot of sense on a subject where bull and loyalty to calibre reigns.

I have used a 20 inch barrelled .308 since 1989 for stalking ( no range work). Money couldn’t buy it from me!

I shot a very light barrelled (20 inch) 7x57 for a number of years and succesfully killed a lot of animals including the desent sized aoudad at 300yrds. It always put the first round on the button but after two fired it would slowly creep upwards and to the left in about 1/2 inch increments. No problem as I never remember needing more than two shots.

It was a Stutzen stock and eighed in at just over 6lbs and was a joy to carry and use.   My main stalking rifles today all have 16 1/2 inch barrels and do not struggle to bring home the bacon.  Picture in my lap 6500ft up the New Zealand Alps where the weight was much appreciated. It still took a bull tahr at 400yrds no problem.

Do not be afraid of short barrels they will do the job if you can.

003.JPG

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What do you think is better then a CZ 527 in 7.62 or say a short (20") barrelled 308? For a bit of all round plinking and stalking? 

I have a Ruger American 20in in 308, but I prefer the cz527 in 762x39.  But in NC our woods are so thick that we don’t get shots past 100yards really.  But here the x39 is half the price of 308.  If I was out is Wyoming where you have 1000 yards stalks it would be different. 

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I shot a very light barrelled (20 inch) 7x57 for a number of years and succesfully killed a lot of animals including the desent sized aoudad at 300yrds. It always put the first round on the button but after two fired it would slowly creep upwards and to the left in about 1/2 inch increments. No problem as I never remember needing more than two shots.

It was a Stutzen stock and eighed in at just over 6lbs and was a joy to carry and use.   My main stalking rifles today all have 16 1/2 inch barrels and do not struggle to bring home the bacon.

Mine is a bit heavier than that, Neville. It weighs about 8lbs. The barrel is only just over 1/2 inch diameter at the muzzle though. Three quick shots warm it up but will cloverleaf. Any more than that and you can’t touch it. It would be useless, I imagine, for range work, but I have never been on a (centrefire) range. It has brought home A LOT of bacon!  Biggest was a huge Kudu bull my mate shot with it.
You mention 7x57. I shot my first deer with a 7x57 (Beale’s) near Hereford, next door to your stalking.

6 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Lloyd thank for the kind words.

My 3006 weighs in at 7lbs with scope and mod has worked all over the world put 5 in 1/2” at 100yrds.  My 308 is a heavier Mauser build and replicates my 375 (which had a spare 404 J barrel) which is its twin.  

That wood it amazing

Edited by NoBodyImportant