A O/U try-gun for a SxS fitting?

4535jacks

14 minutes ago, 4535jacks said:

I am trying to book a gun fitting session to get a side by side fitted.  The ground I am looking at only has an O/U try-gun (despite their website saying otherwise!).  How important is it to use a try-gun that is the same type as the gun you want fitting??

If you are going to the bother and expense of having a gun measured and then fitted to you, do it correctly and go to a ground that does it regularly or go to an individual fitter who may come to you!

It will be money well spent if done properly.

Ask Welshwarrior for his recommendation or availability.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
SPELLAGE!

It is not always necessary to use a try gun for a fitting . Yes it can help , just as much as to what shooting experience and how open minded the person being fitted is .

Yo can NOT use an O/U try gun to get the dimensions for a SxS or vice versa , just as you can not transfer measurements from one to the other  .

If you want fitting for  SxS then go to someone who is used to dealing with them and game shooters whether they have try gun or not . 

Dont forget the gun can fit you but will you fit the gun ? Old learned habits can be very hard to break so if you have shot O/U's then it may be a matter of learning all over again .

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I currently live near Cambridge but spend the working week in Nottingham.  I am booking in for a fitting session near Newark.

The gun I want fitting is not valuable - it is a 25" Gunmark Arietta Sidelock.  I have recently got back into rough shooting after 7-8 years away due to having a child and my focus switching to deer stalking.  I used to prefer short barrelled SxSs and so decided to get another churchill-style gun.  My game shooting is predominantly walked up and I prefer the short barrels for snap shooting.  Since I plan to keep this gun long-term and the importance of gun fit for snap, instinctive shooing, I would like to get this one fitted.

51 minutes ago, 4535jacks said:

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I currently live near Cambridge but spend the working week in Nottingham.  I am booking in for a fitting session near Newark.

The gun I want fitting is not valuable - it is a 25" Gunmark Arietta Sidelock.  I have recently got back into rough shooting after 7-8 years away due to having a child and my focus switching to deer stalking.  I used to prefer short barrelled SxSs and so decided to get another churchill-style gun.  My game shooting is predominantly walked up and I prefer the short barrels for snap shooting.  Since I plan to keep this gun long-term and the importance of gun fit for snap, instinctive shooing, I would like to get this one fitted.

Have an Arrieta 25 myself, great wee gun