Waterproof boots

mgsontour

From experience....Matterhorn, Meindl Douvre ( have both currently ) Gronel. 
From experience avoid Harkila and Le Chameau. 
Have had two pairs of the former; both leaked, but recent vendors have informed me the ‘heel’ situation has been resolved. Have had two types of the latter; both cracked over the toe...subsequently the pair I still own are dry weather boots only. 
Forgot my Scarpas! Light, warm and waterproof. 

Edited by Scully
Scarpas!

Boots are a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit another.

Quality and fit is what is the most important. 

Never ever buy second hand boots, as they're broken in to someone else's feet and will never be a proper fit to you.

Years ago I was told a proper pair of boots costs at least a weeks wage.

For years individual soldiers have tried to find a perfect boot, the search continues and will probably never end.

What works in summer maybe hopeless in winter and vice versa. 

My son prefers Lowa boots and wears them for everything.

I prefer Danner Acadia an American boot, now available in this country, mostly high grade leather with side panels in cordura, gortex and thinsulate lined. They have a vibram, commando type sole which can be replaced by a good cobbler or returned to Danner for same.I use a foot bed supplied by Danner and a precisely cut to size charcoal insole. However, they are a winter boot only for me unless it's unusually cold or wet. They come with an unconditional two year guarantee. They're the only boots that I know of that don't need breaking in and can be worn straight out of the box for hard work. Mine are so comfortable I can wear them with bare feet if its warm enough. I usually use a thin Bridgedale sock, or if I want a high leg sock, I wear kilt socks with a high wool content.

I bought mine in 1996, they get around 6 months continuous wear a year now, more in the past or if its a wet summer or I was fishing/shooting/walking/beating/climbing. They're approaching there first resole within the next 2/3 years. Never been cleaned with anything but cold water and a scrubbing brush, followed by natural drying then Kiwi boot polish.

20200111_114208.jpg

Edited by Centrepin
Add image

1 hour ago, dm800 said:

Whats the sizing like. Did you go up 1 size from normal?

Hi no had couple pairs now went normal size , while I agree with the comment about not buying second hand , grade one surplus really are like new , 

Edited by spurs 14
Added extra comment

My Spanish sister in law recommended chiruca boots and said she'd bring me a pair back when she next went to visit her folks. I got the ibex, and they have not disappointed so far this season (one of the wettest I can remember) and are very comfortable without being too warm, as a lot of lace up boots seem to be thinsulate lined these days. 

Not sure where they stock them in the UK though a quick Google search indicates several online stockists who sell in the uk, if you are prepared to risk buying before trying. They cost me just over £120, so very reasonable. 

6 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Boots are a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit another.

Quality and fit is what is the most important. 

Never ever buy second hand boots, as they're broken in to someone else's feet and will never be a proper fit to you.

Years ago I was told a proper pair of boots costs at least a weeks wage.

For years individual soldiers have tried to find a perfect boot, the search continues and will probably never end.

What works in summer maybe hopeless in winter and vice versa. 

My son prefers Lowa boots and wears them for everything.

I prefer Danner Acadia an American boot, now available in this country, mostly high grade leather with side panels in cordura, gortex and thinsulate lined. They have a vibram, commando type sole which can be replaced by a good cobbler or returned to Danner for same.I use a foot bed supplied by Danner and a precisely cut to size charcoal insole. However, they are a winter boot only for me unless it's unusually cold or wet. They come with an unconditional two year guarantee. They're the only boots that I know of that don't need breaking in and can be worn straight out of the box for hard work. Mine are so comfortable I can wear them with bare feet if its warm enough. I usually use a thin Bridgedale sock, or if I want a high leg sock, I wear kilt socks with a high wool content.

I bought mine in 1996, they get around 6 months continuous wear a year now, more in the past or if its a wet summer or I was fishing/shooting/walking/beating/climbing. They're approaching there first resole within the next 2/3 years. Never been cleaned with anything but cold water and a scrubbing brush, followed by natural drying then Kiwi boot polish.

20200111_114208.jpg

Those look ( and sound ) very much like the Matterhorn boots I like. Must admit I fancy a pair of Danner boots; I’ll maybe get round to a pair sometime. They do look to be a quality bit of gear. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Those look ( and sound ) very much like the Matterhorn boots I like. Must admit I fancy a pair of Danner boots; I’ll maybe get round to a pair sometime. They do look to be a quality bit of gear. 

I think they're very similar to the Matterhorn in design and fit. Very popular in the 90s in the Army. What put me off Matterhorn was I think, if memory serves me right, they have a diamond or oval shape insert at the back that occasionally splits. Other than that I think they were found to be amongst the top 3 or 4 boots available at that time suitable for heavy military useage.

I can highly recommend the Danners, if you get on with them, and theres no reason you shouldn't it'll be the last pair you ever need, they're that good.

I sometimes think they're too much boot for what I now need them for.

8 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Meindl Antarktis 4 seasons in, from grouse moors to driven days to walked up days. Over 240 days in the field and still faultless.

If you want cold dry feet buy the Dovre as they don't have the thermal lining! 

I’ve worn the Dovre for two seasons now, haven’t had cold feet yet! 🤔

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve worn the Dovre for two seasons now, haven’t had cold feet yet! 🤔

Was merely pointing out that the Antarktis are as good as the Dovre but have an insulated lining making them warmer. It's a boot often overlooked but was recommended to me on that basis by 2 or 3 highland grouse keepers who spend much of their time on the hill in snow. That was their complaint with the Dovre.

They are also a few quid cheaper!

23 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Was merely pointing out that the Antarktis are as good as the Dovre but have an insulated lining making them warmer. It's a boot often overlooked but was recommended to me on that basis by 2 or 3 highland grouse keepers who spend much of their time on the hill in snow. That was their complaint with the Dovre.

They are also a few quid cheaper!

Strange that, as I also beat with both lowland and highland ‘keepers ( from Ousby Moor, Alston, including Garrigill ) and they all recommended the Dovre Extreme to me, which is what I have. They’re all gore-tex so I can’t understand why anyone would have cold feet. Like I said, I never have. 

On 11/01/2020 at 17:39, adzyvilla said:

My Spanish sister in law recommended chiruca boots and said she'd bring me a pair back when she next went to visit her folks. I got the ibex, and they have not disappointed so far this season (one of the wettest I can remember) and are very comfortable without being too warm, as a lot of lace up boots seem to be thinsulate lined these days. 

Not sure where they stock them in the UK though a quick Google search indicates several online stockists who sell in the uk, if you are prepared to risk buying before trying. They cost me just over £120, so very reasonable. 

My local RFD stock them I have had a pair for 3 year and still going strong just got to remember to look after the leather so the don’t crack they are only ankle boot though bought some jack Pyke hunters leaked through the bottom lace hoops the first time they got wet had jack Pyke tundras  these where great for 2 year then wore where the toes bent