sxs opened for steel

captainhastings

3 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Cheers thats what I  wanted to know. Excellent 

But for traditional lightweight game guns - SbS (?) -  you could see what BASC - in their "steel shot what you need to know" piece - and the UK proof houses have to say. In brief CIP say 1/2, but the proof houses say 1/4. You pays your money and takes your choice

It’s a good gun from a reputable maker, ( if it’s a 101 it’s a rather old gun ....somewhere around the 1980’s ) but information seems vague. General consensus states you can fire non HP steel through any choke ( including full ) in any gun not proofed for steel, but nothing tighter than half in the same gun for HP steel.
Personally I have on occasion, fired HP steel through any gun and any choke, steel proofed or not. 

hello, i would question the seller when most general side by side 12 g shotguns come with 1/2 and full, saying that i have never shot a steel type cartridge but from research more open chokes seem the way to go, the only way to confirm is have it checked by a gun smith with internal bore micrometer if that the right description,  our friend Gunman would know, i do not mean those brassy types you shove in the barrels, when the true size are determined you can decide to get both bored out to a more suitable size, years ago i did have a 23, good classic Japanese engineering 

23 hours ago, prem1234 said:

Yes minimum size for Steel being Half/Modified choke, so as above I would think they've opened up the full choke to Half.....Can always get your local gunsmith to check just to be sure.

Minimum size for steel?

If you were planning to use small steel shot, I would not worry what the chokes are. By small I mean size 3 or 4.

14 minutes ago, motty said:

Minimum size for steel?

If you were planning to use small steel shot, I would not worry what the chokes are. By small I mean size 3 or 4.

Yes so the original post called detailed a SBS and the general guidelines for traditional light weight game guns are that CIP recommends a choke no greater than half while the British Proof Authorities recommend no more than quarter choke.

I lifted this off of steelshot.com http://www.steel-shot.com/faq-f5-3

"You can safely use 2 ¾’’ 32gram steel loads using shot size 5 & 4. If you choose to use a larger size then a higher performance steel shot proofed gun must be used. 1/2 choke can be used with smaller shot sizes, it is recommended to use ¼ choke or no choke at all for larger sizes. The tighter patterns given with steel due to its hardness means choke is not as necessary as with lead".

18 hours ago, prem1234 said:

Yes so the original post called detailed a SBS and the general guidelines for traditional light weight game guns are that CIP recommends a choke no greater than half while the British Proof Authorities recommend no more than quarter choke.

I lifted this off of steelshot.com http://www.steel-shot.com/faq-f5-3

"You can safely use 2 ¾’’ 32gram steel loads using shot size 5 & 4. If you choose to use a larger size then a higher performance steel shot proofed gun must be used. 1/2 choke can be used with smaller shot sizes, it is recommended to use ¼ choke or no choke at all for larger sizes. The tighter patterns given with steel due to its hardness means choke is not as necessary as with lead".

Not quite what your original post suggested.

I think in general, people are way too cautious with steel shot, believing it to be some kind of really dangerous shot medium.

Just now, steve s×s said:

When this is done does the gun need re proofing with certification 

Not for opening the chokes it doesn’t!! It is your choice whether you subsequently submit the gun for Superior steel shot proof!.......... it’s the up to the proof house to advise whether the gun is acceptable for such proof!......

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Not for opening the chokes it doesn’t!! It is your choice whether you subsequently submit the gun for Superior steel shot proof!.......... it’s the up to the proof house to advise whether the gun is acceptable for such proof!......

Well that shocks me a bit, so any person with limited knowledge can ream out a choke and away you go.