sxs opened for steel

captainhastings

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Just like screw cutting anyone can chop a few threads into the end of the barrel and use it without having it reproofed but if you want to sell it it needs to be reproofed. 

With a rifle yes! But with a shotgun after the chokes have been opened/eased, it’s perfectly legal to sell to anyone with a shotgun certificate without it being reprooved!

8 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Can you not use LIGHT steel shot through any choke have seen Fowler’s using standard steel through guns choked 1/2 and 3/4 High performance steel then I think you need a more open choke 

I would use HP steel through ANY magnum proofed gun. If the shot sizes were under no.1 (4mm or thereabouts) I would use them through ANY choke.

3 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Only asked because of the pattern side of things :)  I may get gun smith to check it out of curiosity or buy a gauge off amazon 

A plug gauge is not definitive!......choke is the difference in measurement between the current bore size and the constriction at the muzzles!.........Get a report from a competent person using a bore micrometer!

1 hour ago, wigeon jim said:

Choke measurement means nothing it's the pattern the gun produces with whatever shell you use which will vary greatly between cartridge types,. Jim. 

Jim, whereas normally I would agree 100%, it's not the case in this instance. What we are measuring here are the physical barrel dimensions - bore and choke - to ensure that the level of the reduction in diameter will not cause excessive pressure resulting from the the unforgiving nature of the steel load.

On 13/01/2020 at 20:52, captainhastings said:

no no 12. Looking forward to getting my eye in on the pigeons ready for the ducks next season

0KmTjUh.jpg

Yes Winchester 23 these are 3” chamber and if the chokes have been opened (in my eyes defacing a classic but that’s only my opinion) they well handle the pressures no problem👍