If Only!!

pigeon controller

I had a call in the week " 400 on the rape" so we set out to find this mega flock of birds. We had looked at this farm last week twice and found nothing so I was amazed with the report. We arrived at the farm at about 09.00 and counted fifteen birds in the trees around the rape . DB phoned the farmer to report our findings and he was assured that the " Other Pigeon Shooter"  had told the farmer they were on the field but it needed two shooters as they move off and need another shooter to move them back!!!!

We left the farm and drove to the farm we found last week, we parked in the yard and walked down to the rape field only to find it ploughed in!! It's a difficult field that you are unable to see from the road or farm. So we looked at two more rape fields on other farms , no birds. 

We decided to drive back to some standing maize we had shot before Christmas to find it covered with birds , but we are unable to decoy it or walk in it or put the dog in to retrieve birds. The wind was very strong and also it was raining , so we split along the mature hedge and found a holly bush each. The plan was to shoot any passing birds above us and drop them in the grass field behind us and then pick up at the end of the day.

We shot for approx three hours and picked up forty two pigeons , DB would not take a photo as he was miffed with what we had picked up. 

I enjoyed the shooting as they were all high fast birds but it was frustrating when the very strong wind blew them back into the maize and were lost.

I know how he feels, the last month as got worse and pigeons seem to-be braking up, sat by a small wood last week watching a few pigeons and all I could hear was pigeons cooing, out on the patio today and the thermometer was reading 69F in the sun, think we may be struggling this winter on what little rape as survived the flea beetle attack, still there’s always spring sowing to look forward to, only problem being there’s likely to-be lots of it.

Tomorrow does not look good, forecast for heavy rain.

Looking at your result from a sporting situation  , you shot at and killed some first class sporting pigeons in three hours shooting , if they had a long tail and you were standing on a peg , the quality of shooting wouldn't had been any better , in fact from a sporting point of view your type of shooting might well have been better than some of the game shoots , the big difference would had been the cost , your sport cost you next to nothing and if they had been long tails you might had to part with from around 12 to 1500 pounds , mind you that would had been shared between you and D B , after all , if we are honest , that is why we mainly go pigeon shooting , for the sport .