Don't know what to do.

Robden

Shooting O/T Friday.

Friend shoots on peg one and moves to peg two as I get ready to call for the bird on peg three. As I mount the gun, I notice that my front bead is hanging off and shout "Oh eff it."  My friend then says "What's the matter?"      And *** do I do?!!??  I swing the LOADED gun round to show him. It was only for a second or so, but it would have been enough to....................

Now, I can't stop thinking about it and have even had a dream about it (although in the dream, for some reason, it was Dara O'Briain.) I was supposed to be shooting a comp today but cancelled as my mind would be all over the place. Friend says not to worry about it. It's just like having a near accident in a car.

My only saving grace is that, out of habit, my finger only goes on the trigger as I call pull.  Even while typing this, I still can't believe I did it.

Edited by Robden

5 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Life is full of “What if’s”

Move on, anyone who hasn’t ever done anything silly with a firearm/ power tool/car / plane ( ok, got me there 🙂 ) is lying......

Yup, opened my slip and then the gun at the second (fox) drive to see two 3 inch magnums in the chambers, quite chilling at the time but a learning outcome. Never done it again, check twice every time.

You'll be fine in time and even more careful because you realised how different the outcome may have been, if you had been flippant about it I would be more concerned.

My customers customer was shooting in a duck hide and they both jumped up for the same duck . He blew his mates head off . He told me this 20 years ago and it’s stuck with me. 
things happen and you’ve learned from it with no one getting hurt so move on and enjoy .

id put a loaded air rifle in the slip years ago and it shot through the bag in the house. I was so angry at my self and haven’t a clue why I’d done it but 15 years on I’m safer than ever

48 minutes ago, henry d said:

Yup, opened my slip and then the gun at the second (fox) drive to see two 3 inch magnums in the chambers, quite chilling at the time but a learning outcome. Never done it again, check twice every time.

You'll be fine in time and even more careful because you realised how different the outcome may have been, if you had been flippant about it I would be more concerned.

this is one of the things that ive always been paranoid about , im not sure why , i just am . i always empty my gun and show that its empty (if im with someone), but i still sometimes have to take my gun back out of the slip to check.

OH dear, 

Interesting post this. 

I dont think i will list all the silly things ive done in my life.

I once shot a friend in his foot with a gat gun.

Threw a dart in the air and it landed in my sisters head. i was about 7. 

We all do silly things, and most of us learn from them. 

28 minutes ago, Dougy said:

OH dear, 

Interesting post this. 

I dont think i will list all the silly things ive done in my life.

I once shot a friend in his foot with a gat gun.

Threw a dart in the air and it landed in my sisters head. i was about 7. 

We all do silly things, and most of us learn from them. 

I shot a bow and arrow straight up in the air when I was about 11 or 12 to see how high it would go. The wind caught it and it went clean through somebody’s conservatory roof.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

this is one of the things that ive always been paranoid about , im not sure why , i just am . i always empty my gun and show that its empty (if im with someone), but i still sometimes have to take my gun back out of the slip to check.

I'm the same, constantly checking after a drive and at end of day, also when in a hide. 

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

My customers customer was shooting in a duck hide and they both jumped up for the same duck . He blew his mates head off . He told me this 20 years ago and it’s stuck with me. 
things happen and you’ve learned from it with no one getting hurt so move on and enjoy .

id put a loaded air rifle in the slip years ago and it shot through the bag in the house. I was so angry at my self and haven’t a clue why I’d done it but 15 years on I’m safer than ever

Now which finger was it you almost cut off ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Joking apart, I remember that duck hide incident and it struck home , just how easy in a split second how it could happen.  I say again... granny was right......

CARELESS IS AS CARELESS DOES and we have all been there and some of us more than others because we have lived a long time to tell the tale.

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Now which finger was it you almost cut off ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Joking apart, I remember that duck hide incident and it struck home , just how easy in a split second how it could happen.  I say again... granny was right......

CARELESS IS AS CARELESS DOES and we have all been there and some of us more than others because we have lived a long time to tell the tale.

Was it a local incident nev ?? 

we are so tight on safety on the splash 

A saying that has stuck with me is.....

In life your born with 2 pots . One is full of luck and the other is empty with experience. The trick is to fill the experience up before the luck is empty.

You’ll learn from that and luckily it didn’t end in tragedy. I remember a time shooting clays on a friends land when when one of the shooters swung his loaded gun across me standing next to him to pick up a crosser, 15 years later I still remember that and shudder at the consequences.  It happens and count yourself lucky that all was ok. 

don’t beat yourself up it will make you anal about safety just like I am after that experience.