Don't know what to do.

Robden

2 pots, like life, always half empty half full IF your playing it right.  All those readin g all this rubbish just STAY SAFE and double up on CARE. When like me you are out and about on your own, safety can often slide.  I now talk to myself and make sure I over emphasise the safety features of my outings. Slide my shotgun out and break it open in full view of other guns etc etc etc

I SAY IT AGAIN STAY SAFE, THINK SAFE.   You rarely get a second chance.

Many moons ago, probably late 50s  I was at a Young Farmers Clay shoot and a gun turned around and let the hammers down on his old gun. It went off, blowing the side of a young mans foot off. I was only a yard away and will never forget the sight of that foot.  I knew him into old age and he survived with a severe limp.

Edited by Walker570

Particularly well posted. I would imagine that it's now highly unlikely that you'll make the same mistake again and hopefully it will encourage others not to do the same. It reminds me of a column in a RAF flying magazine in which aircrew could detail their mistakes without fear of retribution called "I learned About Flying From That". Also, back along I was doing the practical assessment of a PAS Course and had set a booby trap. One lady student fell for it as the clay was going into the boundary hedge. I think she knew what she was doing a split second before she pulled the trigger but couldn't stop and was absolutely distraught. I passed her being sure and certain that that was the one thing she'd never ever do again.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

2 pots, like life, always half empty half full IF your playing it right.  All those readin g all this rubbish just STAY SAFE and double up on CARE. When like me you are out and about on your own, safety can often slide.  I now talk to myself and make sure I over emphasise the safety features of my outings. Slide my shotgun out and break it open in full view of other guns etc etc etc

I SAY IT AGAIN STAY SAFE, THINK SAFE.   You rarely get a second chance.

Many moons ago, probably late 50s  I was at a Young Farmers Clay shoot and a gun turned around and let the hammers down on his old gun. It went off, blowing the side of a young mans foot off. I was only a yard away and will never forget the sight of that foot.  I knew him into old age and he survived with a severe limp.

What is it with feet?

I got shot in both of mine on a fox drive in Norfolk. Fortunately and although it hurt like hell it wasn't too bad - I'd been a standing gun and had sunk somewhat into the soft ground and was wearing stout leather boots. A few minutes earlier two groups of guns were walking to the next drive when a Gun in the other dropped his gun which went off. How on earth no one was injured I'll never know. The second incident did it and the three of us left with me hobbling wishing we'd gone after the first.

Way back out with a mate walking around on very wet ground and grass which had soaked our shoes within a few minutes. Got to a low wire fence so unloaded, stepped over, reloaded and was about to move off when matey's 10b went off. I'm quite prepared to fall down dead but don't seem to feel any pain. Turned around and there he is looking down at his foot. Unload and go back.The end of his soaking shoe had a 10b sized hole in it which looked as though it could have been cut with a laser had we then known what one of those was. Not only was the piece of shoe missing, but so was his sock and not even the slightest scratch on his toe. Yep, trigger on barbed wire.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

What is it with feet?

I got shot in both of mine on a fox drive in Norfolk. Fortunately and although it hurt like hell it wasn't too bad - I'd been a standing gun and had sunk somewhat into the soft ground and was wearing stout leather boots. A few minutes earlier two groups of guns were walking to the next drive when a Gun in the other dropped his gun which went off. How on earth no one was injured I'll never know. The second incident did it and the three of us left with me hobbling wishing we'd gone after the first.

Way back out with a mate walking around on very wet ground and grass which had soaked our shoes within a few minutes. Got to a low wire fence so unloaded, stepped over, reloaded and was about to move off when matey's 10b went off. I'm quite prepared to fall down dead but don't seem to feel any pain. Turned around and there he is looking down at his foot. Unload and go back.The end of his soaking shoe had a 10b sized hole in it which looked as though it could have been cut with a laser had we then known what one of those was. Not only was the piece of shoe missing, but so was his sock and not even the slightest scratch on his toe. Yep, trigger on barbed wire.

Bl..... h.... If I ever get invited out with your mates I am busy. :lol:.  That was a very lucky escape. Easy done. 

It's obvious from your post, that it has really affected you. Also clear that you have no intention of it ever happening again (not that you did in the first place) and this is now in the forefront of your safety thinking.

Be thankful that no one was hurt and that your shooting partner was understanding.

Don't let it get to you and spoil the sport that you obviously love.

clear from your post this has unnerved  you  which is why you will never be hasty again        plenty have done the same  but will not say  but will slate you       plenty have shot and wish they didn't         you will never repeat and always be conscious    thinking about others   (a safe shot  in my book ) ill shoot with you any day            put it behind you  it was a laps of concertation  not an unsafe shot     (again I would shoot along side you any day )

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

clear from your post this has unnerved  you  which is why you will never be hasty again        plenty have done the same  but will not say  but will slate you       plenty have shot and wish they didn't         you will never repeat and always be conscious    thinking about others   (a safe shot  in my book ) ill shoot with you any day            put it behind you  it was a laps of concertation  not an unsafe shot     (again I would shoot along side you any day )

Thanks very much for that. But TBH you would probably be safer sitting on the trap-house the way I've been shooting lately. 😊

Years ago my friend and his girlfriend came up from London to stay for a weekend, my pal and I were shooting our annual big driven day on the Saturday. On the Sunday his girlfriend wanted to see what the fuss was about (and no doubt he wanted to impress her with his prowess) so they suggested we went to the local straw bale clay shoot. His girlfriend is an ex-model, very slight and not at all a country person. Anyway, when her turn comes my pal drops two in for her (no tittering at the back) and instructs her to pre-mount the gun, call pull, pretty much ignore the clays and then get a feel for firing the gun into the blue sky.... she calls pull and fired into the sky, the recoil clearly surprised her and she was knocked backwards heavily. She had clearly had enough after one shot so (with my pal’s gun *still loaded*) turns back to us saying “I don’t like it”. The barrels were coming in our direction at face height, safety off and a live cartridge stil chambered. My wife and I, stood 10 yards behind with the rest of the gallery, dived to the side out of the way whilst my pal managed to deflect and point the gun to the floor and take it off her. End of trip and never shot with them again. I still have flash backs about it. If people want to learn to shoot they can pay for lessons with an approved instructor. 

They eventually got married, had children and lived happily ever after. It could have easily been very different for us. 

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Gamekeeper on my shoot was shot in the face today (single pelllet). Pierced the skin and drew blood, level with his eye half way back to the temple. He was a little unhappy about it, he will heal quickly but shouldn’t have happened. He’s not sure who shot him, I am very glad that I didn’t fire a single shot on that drive (volunteered to be a stop as I’d had a great morning).