Springer Neuturing

Mickthemiller

25 minutes ago, B725 said:

Both my previous dog's and my niece's bitch put weight on and the fur grew thick and curly, why are you having it done? 

Local vets only reason I'm having it done was a local bitch came into season and it was driving him mad, never had a problem with him humping, or going after other dogs until now, he did a runner on my wife and went across a main road, could have been bad, so we will have to see what happens, vet said it would cut out the problem that he may get testicular cancer.

One local vet recommend I have my latest Springer done for the same reason ( but they won't dock tails ) that's also the reason my niece had her bitch done, she hasn't been the same since.Iwill only have it done if its abosutly necessary .The two previous dog's had a lump appear on one testicle but at the first one was around 14 and the other around 12 that was the only reason they both had them off. It's only my opinion but I cannot see the point unless there's something wrong .

6 hours ago, Mickthemiller said:

Local vets only reason I'm having it done was a local bitch came into season and it was driving him mad, never had a problem with him humping, or going after other dogs until now, he did a runner on my wife and went across a main road, could have been bad, so we will have to see what happens, vet said it would cut out the problem that he may get testicular cancer.

by that vets logic if you also have the dog PTS he won’t develop any other cancers either. 

Lots of Vets are against docking but happy to lop off your dog nuts for a fee, or spay a bitch which is far more invasive. 

On 12/01/2020 at 11:50, Mickthemiller said:

Having my two and half year old Springer neutered, any one who has had this done noticed any adverse effects

The incidence of testicular cancer in dogs is very low. 

Fluffy coat and weight gain are common in neutered dogs. Also bad dandruff can occur.

If you want a temporary trial of neutering to calm him down till he is older have a Suprelorin implant. its injected like a microchip under the skin. It wears off after 6-12 months depending on size of implant and dog.

I had our male deerhead chihuahua implanted when he was 18mths old as he was driving our Setter mad trying to hump him constantly. He lost his silky coat to thickened wool. Went from 5kg to 6kg despite restricting food and his testicles shrank. After a year his testicles went back to normal size, his coat went silky again and he is 5.3kg. He has got over his desire for our male setter too now he is more mature.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-Long-Term-Health-Effects-of-Spay-%2F-Neuter-in-Sanborn/dbb5e0bf4332299c4071fc7336e225270d40189a

This paper on the pros and cons of neutering and spaying is worth a read.

Below the summary is a pdf file to download for the whole paper written in easily understood layman's terms. There are other papers out there more recent too.

Mate had the implant for his black lab, dog was humping anything and everything, legs, other dogs, tree stumps, car tyres, rolls of barbed wire. 12 month implant and when I saw him a week or 2 later wasn’t trying to hump anything. Not repeated the implant but still no humping (including the bitch he was meant too 🤣)

My vet recommended not have my Labrador neutered for reasons highlighted above in the paper. 

She did recommend if I really wanted to is to trial the implant which I did. For the first 6 weeks I thought it did nothing but when it kicked in he is a lot calmer and no longer  jumping on ever bitch he sees. Did make he’s balls smaller though.  That was about 6 months ago so time will tell with him. 

I have all of my dogs castrated at between 15 months and two years (labs). Reason is very simply I want to reduce all of the silliness you get with testosterone. I can have mine in the back of a pickup with any number of dogs or bitches they don’t know and not a problem. It calms them down, I get less marking, sniffing at other dogsand generally calmer behaviour. I don’t breed from my dogs there are enough good people out there doing that.

I have not noted any adverse effects over about twenty years of doing this. It does not remove drive and weight is about diet and exercise.

if you feel it is necessary I would not worry for a second.

good luck

Thank you ail for your replies, they were very helpful, we have decided to go ahead, mainly due to our age, to old to chase him, we have an enclosed garden but he has managed to escape, just going to keep our fingers crossed it all works out ok. I would like to add the vets didn’t try to convince us one way or the other so our decision 

Edited by Mickthemiller