Zeroing rest question

powler

To be honest I made my own with a car scissor jack but had I seen that I would have purchased one. Excellent price and they do make a huge difference when needing to really get the rifle spot on.

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Myself and everyone I know just zeroes off a bipod. If you’re actually shooting ‘bench’ disciplines then I can see the point, but not really if you’re shooting in the field, in my opinion. 

I think he said for just zeroing Scully.  I wouldn't carry one around for sure.

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

To be honest I made my own with a car scissor jack but had I seen that I would have purchased one. Excellent price and they do make a huge difference when needing to really get the rifle spot on.

I think he said for just zeroing Scully.  I wouldn't carry one around for sure.

Yer just for zeroing chaps. Bipod in the field. Just want to get sights smack on then I know its all down to my skills.

Problem with divorcing your self from the shooting process (ie on a stand ) and zeroing .is that when you do take an in the field shot your poi can be off (presuming no wind ). Your body is part of the zero .if you always flich to the right ,for example , then its no good having a gun thats zeroed on a stand but hits left when your shooting in the field (due to your flinch ) .

Also there can be a huge difference between a zero taken in the prone position and one in the seated . 

47 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Problem with divorcing your self from the shooting process (ie on a stand ) and zeroing .is that when you do take an in the field shot your poi can be off (presuming no wind ). Your body is part of the zero .if you always flich to the right ,for example , then its no good having a gun thats zeroed on a stand but hits left when your shooting in the field (due to your flinch ) .

Also there can be a huge difference between a zero taken in the prone position and one in the seated . 

I have been using a bench for checking the zero of MY RIFLE for well over 40yrs and once I know the rifle is on then THAT is the time for me to see if I am and will fire a couple of shots off my elbows to check.   What this type of bench does is to reduce to almost nothing your input, then it is up to the shooter to sort out his/her problems.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I have been using a bench for checking the zero of MY RIFLE for well over 40yrs and once I know the rifle is on then THAT is the time for me to see if I am and will fire a couple of shots off my elbows to check.   What this type of bench does is to reduce to almost nothing your input, then it is up to the shooter to sort out his/her problems.

This is what I'm looking to do, I just put a scope on a .223 and struggled to get myself happy with zeroing but my rifle shooting has been a bit poor lately and also not been doing enough of it lately. Was looking to make sure everything is spot on then do some more shooting off bipod and sticks and sort myself out.

Mick

1 hour ago, powler said:

This is what I'm looking to do, I just put a scope on a .223 and struggled to get myself happy with zeroing but my rifle shooting has been a bit poor lately and also not been doing enough of it lately. Was looking to make sure everything is spot on then do some more shooting off bipod and sticks and sort myself out.

Mick

:good: