Hare shoot

Essex Keeper

Sorry if I’m wrong section 

right it’s that time of year again we hare coursing !! going on everywhere on the fields not to much of a problem , not good

but now there driving though the cover crops I’m now going to have a hare session 

but I want a good game dealer who will take them  What are people getting paid for head shot hares 

8 minutes ago, Essex Keeper said:

Sorry if I’m wrong section 

right it’s that time of year again we hare coursing !! going on everywhere on the fields not to much of a problem , not good

but now there driving though the cover crops I’m now going to have a hare session 

but I want a good game dealer who will take them  What are people getting paid for head shot hares 

I am sure there is a market, in Yorkshire (not recently) the rabbit dealers would take hares, a price I don't know, try asking the scrotes what they get LOL, it's a massive shame you have to do this, it's a wonderful world 🙄

14 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

I am sure there is a market, in Yorkshire (not recently) the rabbit dealers would take hares, a price I don't know, try asking the scrotes what they get LOL, it's a massive shame you have to do this, it's a wonderful world 🙄

? Why's that?

15 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Last year they were paying £5 per hare. But like Pheasants, you could sell a days shooting them for a lot more. 100 hares, 20-30 guns >£4k/day.

Really? Wow there are so many down here I could organise a shoot. How is it done? Are they driven or walked up? 

Just now, oowee said:

Really? Wow there are so many down here I could organise a shoot. How is it done? Are they driven or walked up? 

Both, stand one, walk one. Normally 1/2 standing in a line and the other half walking towards the line. The walking line could start >1 mile away from the standing line! Both standing and walking lines shoot. When the walking line gets to about 350-400metres from the standing guns a whistle goes off and everyone can only fire "behind" them and not forward. The walking line then starts to make a sort of horseshoe shape with the ends closing into the standing guns. sometimes the circle gets quite tight and the last few hares literally escape the circle through your legs! 

The standing and walking line guns are spaced at about 40m apart.

Father used to go on quite a lot of hare shoots, organised pretty much as described by silver pigeon69.   Farmers would generally be standing, each would provide a stockman or tractor driver for the beating line, and often him lend an ancient hammer gun for the day, so there could be several rather inexperienced folk shooting.   Dad always reckoned they were rather hazardous events, even by the standards of the 1950s and 1960s, but I don't remember hearing of anybody getting peppered.  

10 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Can't you spend a few minutes with a digger and stick a ditch across the entrances just big enough to stop a 4x4 or even a few trail cams on the entrances to get a few number plates. Poaching is one thing but showing no respect and flattening crops is another. Daft **** 

Is it not criminal damage, trespass with intent and god knows what but never seems to lead to a conviction, lack of evidence ********🙄