1300cc suzuki swift n/a

ditchman

been checking the MPG over the last couple of months of my little gay blue swift 08 model...........i horse the motor every now and then and use it as a daily drive to the shops and stuff..

53 MPG.............quite pleased with that..........

im sure if i was lightfooted and on longer runs it would be quite a bit more..

im useing the 99 octane fuel...

34 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Where do you fill up ditchy?

local bp station on brundall rounderbout....not cheap either

it works out that i put in 17 litres and get 200 miles...or thereabouts ...thats from the fuel light coming on to fuel light coming on

200 div by 17= then times 4.54=53 odd mpg

Edited by ditchman

26 minutes ago, Davyo said:

We both run little Suzuki's, wife's 2019 Ignis is returning average of 62mpg (1.2 Dualjet).My 2019 Swift zt boosterjet returns 53mpg (1lt turbo).Love Suzuki engine especially the 1.2 Dueljet.

i like the engine ...mainly because it hasnt a bloody timing belt to worry about...it has a self adjusting timing chain....real no brainer......

40 minutes ago, ditchman said:

local bp station on brundall rounderbout....not cheap either

it works out that i put in 17 litres and get 200 miles...or thereabouts ...thats from the fuel light coming on to fuel light coming on

200 div by 17= then times 4.54=53 odd mpg

I've always used shell and it gives better mpg in any vehicle I've had, never used BP, 53 odd to the gallon can't be bad though 👍

1 minute ago, sandspider said:

Does it actually do any better with the 99RON fuel?

i try and use good higher octane fuel as it burns clearner and keeps the valves cleaner at lower speeds....ive seen the difference it makes on enjine parts....its no big deal the engines are desighned to use lower spec fuel...........proberly me ...allowing my mind to be played with by the fuel companies..............

when i had the last of my new discos i always used a fuel addertive for the TD5............christ what a difference it used to make ...but that was desiel...

Thanks. I've tried high octane petrol and high cetane diesel in various cars and never seen much difference in MPG or performance, probably because none of my cars have been designed for the top spec stuff (even my old Porsche!) I still treat them to the odd half tank every now and then, can't hurt to give their innards a bit of a clean.

The ultra high compression non turbo 2ltr Skyactiv petrol engine in my Mazda is rated at 120bhp in every market including America where the standard fuel is 87 octane. BBR who tune Mazdas, dyno tested the engine with 99 octane at 138bhp. Believe me the difference is noticeable in both performance and mpg. I can get over 55 mpg with careful driving.

23 hours ago, Davyo said:

We both run little Suzuki's, wife's 2019 Ignis is returning average of 62mpg (1.2 Dualjet).My 2019 Swift zt boosterjet returns 53mpg (1lt turbo).Love Suzuki engine especially the 1.2 Dueljet.

I have a vitara with a 1.6 non turbo petrol engine,it returns around 46 mpg around town,bit more on the motor way,i love it comfy to drive quite nippy,lots of room for passengers and guns.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The ultra high compression non turbo 2ltr Skyactiv petrol engine in my Mazda is rated at 120bhp in every market including America where the standard fuel is 87 octane. BBR who tune Mazdas, dyno tested the engine with 99 octane at 138bhp. Believe me the difference is noticeable in both performance and mpg. I can get over 55 mpg with careful driving.

BBR did my MX5

Mrs has a 63’ plate swift running on supermarket fuel that returns about 47mpg however she does spend a lot of time in the early morning/evening bumper to bumper Traffic. Lovely to drive and good spec but serious lack of omph. My old Saab 93 1.9 Tid returns about 52- 53 mpg on BP ultimate which is 6/7 mpg more than It did on Sainsbury’s fuel, feels a bit more sprightly too.

On 16/01/2020 at 22:59, Trevorevans said:

Mrs has a 63’ plate swift running on supermarket fuel that returns about 47mpg however she does spend a lot of time in the early morning/evening bumper to bumper Traffic. Lovely to drive and good spec but serious lack of omph. My old Saab 93 1.9 Tid returns about 52- 53 mpg on BP ultimate which is 6/7 mpg more than It did on Sainsbury’s fuel, feels a bit more sprightly too.

these n/a engines work better when the engine revs are kept high...........

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

these n/a engines work better when the engine revs are kept high...........

I wonder how many of today's drivers and magazine road testers understand how to use the gearbox to drive a n/a engine properly. If you grow up with diesels and turbos, a n/a engine can seem lifeless and sluggish if you're used to a car that can pull from 1,000 rpm in 4th gear. It's so much more engaging to actually drive the car rather than just operate it.

52 minutes ago, Westward said:

I wonder how many of today's drivers and magazine road testers understand how to use the gearbox to drive a n/a engine properly. If you grow up with diesels and turbos, a n/a engine can seem lifeless and sluggish if you're used to a car that can pull from 1,000 rpm in 4th gear. It's so much more engaging to actually drive the car rather than just operate it.

Ive owned both petrol and diesel turbo's for the last 8 years or so and got used to that instant grunt throughout the gears, when I put the MX-5 back on the road last year I remembered how good a well sorted n/a engine is.

Ditch if you get a chance have a drive of the 1.2 Dualjet especially in the new Ignis.With the car being so light it has ample grunt and the Suzuki gearbox is as smooth as silk.Even better that the short shift in my X MX5.

My wife went out and got another after I traded her 17plate in for a new Swift ZT boosterjet.I like the little Turbo it has loads of oomph.But I enjoy driving the Ignis more as it's just so comfortable and smooth.

I've had many cars over the years from 2.7 twin turbo Stype to a 300bhp BBR mx5.But I love the little Suzuki's.Wish they would change the back on the Ignis though LOL.Id trade the Swift in immediately for one if they did.

0182020223355.jpg

0182020223526.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Done a bit of work on a mate's wife's Swift - decent motor.

We have had 111 cars, but one of the best was my wife's SX4 auto. Owned it for 5 1/2 years, which is a long time for me. Our shortest ownership was a Golf TDi for an hour. The SX4 was easy to work on, although it only ever had brake discs and pads, oil, filters etc. Plugs were not needed until 90k, which I never touched,. We owned it from 5k to 65k.

I think Suzukis are underrated.

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Done a bit of work on a mate's wife's Swift - decent motor.

We have had 111 cars, but one of the best was my wife's SX4 auto. Owned it for 5 1/2 years, which is a long time for me. Our shortest ownership was a Golf TDi for an hour. The SX4 was easy to work on, although it only ever had brake discs and pads, oil, filters etc. Plugs were not needed until 90k, which I never touched,. We owned it from 5k to 65k.

I think Suzukis are underrated.

mate over the road has an 1100 swift  its 2 years younger than mine, he has had it from 5000 miles it now has 110000 on it ...tyres...oil changes, plugs ..brakes....thats all still drives like new..

Wife had a Suzuki splash 1.3 (maybe 1.3). It went pretty well and didn't go wrong in the 4 or 5 years we had it. Just a bit small for 2 kids so chopped it in. A mate has a swift and its going stong in the 10 years or so hes had it, knowing him it will be well thrashed also but doesnt sem to mind. My next car will probably be a Suzuki and if not then a golf. I agree they are underrated.