1300cc suzuki swift n/a

ditchman

I had the 2004 Suzuki Wagon R 1.3 and it’s fuel efficiency was very surprising. The car was a little pocket rocket and handled well for what could be described as a bread box on wheels. It towed my caravan down to the cotswolds and still returned around 40mpg. The Panda 1.2 I have now is too weak to tow @60hp as opposed to the 90hp of the wagon R. MPG on the Panda is exceptional if you drive like an undertaker! But it’s still quite a capable little car. Not a patch on the wagon R performance, but adequate. 

just travelled back from Dundee on a full tank in a howling hooligan and heavy rain yesterday,did 207 miles on 36.5 litres...25 .5 mpg...Honda crv 2.0 vtec. kept to 75 mph.going up I stuck at 60,and got 37 mpg.used £146 of fuel from Grimsby to Dundee and back

Edited by joknob
new info

On 19/02/2020 at 18:07, joknob said:

just travelled back from Dundee on a full tank in a howling hooligan and heavy rain yesterday,did 207 miles on 36.5 litres...25 .5 mpg...Honda crv 2.0 vtec. kept to 75 mph.going up I stuck at 60,and got 37 mpg.used £146 of fuel from Grimsby to Dundee and back

woooow that sounds a bit thirsty...

On 13 January 2020 at 16:53, ditchman said:

i like the engine ...mainly because it hasnt a bloody timing belt to worry about...it has a self adjusting timing chain....real no brainer......

I have a Suzuki SX4 S Cross which has now done 55k + miles and nothing mentioned in the book about changing the timing chain at 60k, so I was relieved to find that, like yours, it has a self adjusting timing chain. Another expense saved.

It was your thread that reminded me to check in the first place, so thanks for that.

OB

27 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I have a Suzuki SX4 S Cross which has now done 55k + miles and nothing mentioned in the book about changing the timing chain at 60k, so I was relieved to find that, like yours, it has a self adjusting timing chain. Another expense saved.

It was your thread that reminded me to check in the first place, so thanks for that.

OB

timing belts have always been a bug bear of mine.............as they can slip and cause damage at any mileage whether you change them or not...........but as the swift hasnt a turbo on it ...i do use the engine revs...and that is what would worry me if it had a belt ...

To be fair, I had the old mk1 fiesta with chain, great engine and never needed anything other than basic servicing. I had the new all singing all dancing chain driven Vauxhall engine and it needed 3 chains in less than 60k I think they are naff! 

the Suzuki wagon R was chain too and was like the fiesta, kept going but eventually at around 90k developed a chain rattle. 

I am old school and prefer belts! Easier to get at to change for me! No having to use cam locking tools etc to carry out the change either! But that’s just MY take.