scrapping a shotgun

misser

looking to pick the brains of the PW massive...I've got an old shotgun that's off the face and been told its not safe to shoot, am going to get it scrapped but am I permitted to keep the stock and foreend as they are attractive wood and with a bit of tinkering might fit one of my other sbs's...atb....misser

ive just done 2 mate all I done was phoned firearms and asked if it was ok to drop them off at local station .

their reply was yes that will be fine but to make sure they were broken down and to lock them in boot of car and go into station first to let them know I was about to bring firearms into building and once handed over they would give me a ref number to quote when letting licencing know the guns had handed in for destruction .

which is exactly which I done and everything went fine could not have been easier

47 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

ive just done 2 mate all I done was phoned firearms and asked if it was ok to drop them off at local station .

their reply was yes that will be fine but to make sure they were broken down and to lock them in boot of car and go into station first to let them know I was about to bring firearms into building and once handed over they would give me a ref number to quote when letting licencing know the guns had handed in for destruction .

which is exactly which I done and everything went fine could not have been easier

I did the same, only with an old .22LR rifle.

I scrapped an auto a few years ago. I already had the same model and bought the 'scrapper' as someone had somehow blown up the barrel! The barrel was given to an RFD who wanted it to show customers what a bulged barrel could look like . I kept the stock, fore end, trigger mech and all the internal parts, plus the choke. The action body with mag tube attached and the bolt, minus useful bits was surrendered to the local FEO who was happy to take it off me and have it taken of my SGC. No problem and I got a load of useful bits for almost nothing.

I bought a 'part auto' from a dealer, it consisted of stock, action, (minus bolt) barrel and 1 multi choke. Although the trigger assembly was fitted 3 of the major parts were missing, making it inoperative. When I bought it, the gun was sold as 'registered' as parts only and entered on my Certificate as such. I duly notified the local FEO who was not really bothered, as it was described as 'parts only'. I bought it to use as a pigeon gun, thus keeping my identical 30 years old model in mint condition. I just swap the trigger and bolt assemblies across, from one to the other to facilitate their use.  I have also seen the locks from a derelict hammer gun fitted into a glass fronted 'box' after being polished, they make an attractive wall piece.

Thanks gents for all the replies....I will take the general advice , strip it and hand the numbered parts to the local RFD...as you say they're only a couple of pieces of wood so cannot see a problem in retaining them...much appreciated...atb...missed.