What a Cracking Idea!

TIGHTCHOKE

On 14/01/2020 at 19:21, Scully said:

It’s drug addiction...not a human right. 

Well, simply playing devil's advocate . . .

Addiction to tobacco is a scientific fact. It is regarded by some medical experts to be more addictive than heroin. No sane person could disagree that it is a real addiction with both psychological and physical symptoms to withdrawal. 

A certain religious sect often receives extra breaks for prayer throughout the day. Religion is not scientific. No one however zealous can ever prove their god exists, and yet they are catered for purely because of their faith.

If faith is a human right, isn't catering to a legal, goverment taxed addiction also a human right?

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Could have just done as other companies do, you clock off to go for a smoke. No loss to the company in time.

Great for the non smokers, extra four days off.

Bang on, half my team in the Hospital smoke and they must go off 7-8+ times per day each. 

It’s a minimum of 15 mins as it’s 5 mins to get downstairs and outside and the same back. Some of them are wasting up to 2 hours a day going for smokes. 

Us non-smokers have to just carry on with our work. 

One of them claims “I take fag breaks instead of a lunch break” ... yet still waddles down to the canteen everyday, buys food and then brings it back, she claims it’s not a lunch break just because she eats at her desk, she doesn’t include the 20 mins she spends off getting it as a break. 

The crux of it is that some people will take the P in work, and the managers should tell them to cut it out or P off! 

21 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Well, simply playing devil's advocate . . .

Addiction to tobacco is a scientific fact. It is regarded by some medical experts to be more addictive than heroin. No sane person could disagree that it is a real addiction with both psychological and physical symptoms to withdrawal. 

A certain religious sect often receives extra breaks for prayer throughout the day. Religion is not scientific. No one however zealous can ever prove their god exists, and yet they are catered for purely because of their faith.

If faith is a human right, isn't catering to a legal, goverment taxed addiction also a human right?

No it isn’t, stop chatting nonsense just for the sake of it. 

I hope your not serious, if you are I bet your a joy to work with 😂

17 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

No it isn’t, stop chatting nonsense just for the sake of it. 

I hope your not serious, if you are I bet your a joy to work with 😂

Well I did say I was playing devil's advocate. :whistling:

Am I serious? Not entirely, but in today's woke society it's at least as sensible as most of their causes. At least it has scientific value.  

As for work, I spend most of my day alone in a van. So I guess it's fair to say I cause very few problems in the workplace :lol: 

7 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Well I did say I was playing devil's advocate. 

Am I serious? Not entirely, but in today's woke society it's at least as sensible as most of their causes. At least it has scientific value.  

As for work, I spend most of my day alone in a van. So I guess it's fair to say I cause very few problems in the workplace  

👍🏻🤣 

This story reminds me the of bloke who wasn’t allowed to smoke in his own van because it was ‘confined work space’ so he cut the doors off! 😂

My mother (ex-nurse) persuaded father to start wearing a dust mask when on the combine -- no cabs in the 1950s, so the driver spent the day in a black cloud.   Rather primitive mask consisting of a thin aluminium plate having a hole in front of the mouth, a cotton wool pad, and an elastic band round the back of the head.   After wearing it for a couple of hours, father cut a little hole in the cotton wool to accommodate his Woodbines.

23 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I am not aware of any companies allowing "drink breaks":rolleyes:

my late fathers first job was working as a beer carrier in the patent shaft steel work , he would collect orders from the steel workers that worked on the furnaces  , then collect the beer from one of the two onsite pubs , and take it to them on their break , he said that some of the blokes would drink twenty pints during their one hour break , and youd never see any of them drunk .  could you imagine that these days :lol:.

14 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

my late fathers first job was working as a beer carrier in the patent shaft steel work , he would collect orders from the steel workers that worked on the furnaces  , then collect the beer from one of the two onsite pubs , and take it to them on their break , he said that some of the blokes would drink twenty pints during their one hour break , and youd never see any of them drunk .  could you imagine that these days .

My uncle worked in the Sheffield rolling mills. His usual lunchtime tipple was 8 pints, followed by another 8 pints in the evening at the working man's club.

He refused to take the family on holiday for fear of the inferior beer served elsewhere in the country - he had had enough of that rubbish when he was in the Paras during the war. 😂

39 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

my late fathers first job was working as a beer carrier in the patent shaft steel work , he would collect orders from the steel workers that worked on the furnaces  , then collect the beer from one of the two onsite pubs , and take it to them on their break , he said that some of the blokes would drink twenty pints during their one hour break , and youd never see any of them drunk .  could you imagine that these days :lol:.

So mel, I am still unaware of any companies  allowing drinks breaks, I now it used to be quite standard in many sectors and was often part of the wages.

But not currently happening!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So mel, I am still unaware of any companies  allowing drinks breaks, I now it used to be quite standard in many sectors and was often part of the wages.

I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't happen in many places these days either dave , maybe a few pubs etc . My old fellas first job would have been over sixty years ago , when it was pretty much standard practice to have a drink in any physical job .

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not over here, but a mate of mine is in NZ and his office have a beer fridge that you can avail yourself of on an afternoon. Just don't get p1$$ed or drive home! I think it would help with the rising rates of stress in the workplace.

14 hours ago, mel b3 said:

my late fathers first job was working as a beer carrier in the patent shaft steel work , he would collect orders from the steel workers that worked on the furnaces  , then collect the beer from one of the two onsite pubs , and take it to them on their break , he said that some of the blokes would drink twenty pints during their one hour break , and youd never see any of them drunk .  could you imagine that these days .

Really, a pint every 3 minutes, 2 1/2 demijohns worth, not accounting for P breaks... :hmm:

2 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Not over here, but a mate of mine is in NZ and his office have a beer fridge that you can avail yourself of on an afternoon. Just don't get p1$$ed or drive home! I think it would help with the rising rates of stress in the workplace.

Been to places in Germany where a beer (or 2) over lunch in the onsite canteen is quite normal.  Then back to working with high voltages, moving machinery, fault finding in live panels, etc.  Few of the chaps had a beer stash in their rolling toolboxes.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Really, a pint every 3 minutes, 2 1/2 demijohns worth, not accounting for P breaks...

Well I couldn't really see my old fella making it up malc. With my own eyes I've seen a mate drink a stainless still bucket filled with beer , without taking it from his lips , and then carry on with his drinking session,  another mate had a pretty unique party piece , he had a two pint glass that he would down in one , whilst standing on his head 😊, and he would do that over and over during a night out . We have real drinking men down here malc , 😊.