First shotgun for daughters

LesR

I’m trying to introduce my daughters to shooting and so far they’ve been doing quite well with a small air rifle at targets but they keep asking to try shooting a shotgun. I currently only have 12 bores and don’t want to put them off so was thinking about getting a cheap shotgun for them to have a go with. I’m thinking .22 shotshell / 9mm Flobert or a .410 I’d ideally like a double barrel or 3 shot bolt action / semi but would consider anything if it was suitable. Has anybody got any tips and advice on what to look for and has anybody introduced their children to shooting and got any tips / advice?

lastly does anybody fairly local to Leeds have anything suitable languishing in their cabinets that doesn’t get used anymore and they would like to part with?

I have a .410 Norinco single barrel, which I keep for my daughter’s ocasional use and introducing friends’ kids to the sport.

It has a 3” chamber, so will take anything from the 9 gram 2” loads up to 18 gram 3” magnum loads.

And it’s fun to use as an adult, too :) I just remove or refit the recoil pad, depending on who is using it.

32 minutes ago, LesR said:

I’m trying to introduce my daughters to shooting and so far they’ve been doing quite well with a small air rifle at targets but they keep asking to try shooting a shotgun. I currently only have 12 bores and don’t want to put them off so was thinking about getting a cheap shotgun for them to have a go with. I’m thinking .22 shotshell / 9mm Flobert or a .410 I’d ideally like a double barrel or 3 shot bolt action / semi but would consider anything if it was suitable. Has anybody got any tips and advice on what to look for and has anybody introduced their children to shooting and got any tips / advice?

lastly does anybody fairly local to Leeds have anything suitable languishing in their cabinets that doesn’t get used anymore and they would like to part with?

You maybe don’t realise a .22 shotshell has an effective range of only about ten feet and is virtually useless. Likewise, 9mm will not teach kids to shoot clays.

4 minutes ago, sam triple said:

been thinking about the same thing for my daughter shes only 8 but shes a big for her age been looking at an Armsan  20bore semi with junior stock

15 minutes ago, Dibble said:

How big are they?are you worried about the weight of the gun or recoil? As Washerboy says a Single 12 could be very cheap...£40ish and Hull CompX 21g are very soft,and cheap

My daughters are only 8 so I’m worried about the recoil more than anything. I think the 12 bore would be too much I’ve also heard 20 bores can give more of a kick than equivalent load in a 12 I don’t want to put them off on there first attempt.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

You maybe don’t realise a .22 shotshell has an effective range of only about ten feet and is virtually useless. Likewise, 9mm will not teach kids to shoot clays.

I’ve read they can be a bit useless and expensive for shells but was thinking about .22 or 9mm more to get them used to gun etiquette, firing and recoil. Do you think I’d be better going down the 410 route?

1 minute ago, LesR said:

My daughters are only 8 so I’m worried about the recoil more than anything. I think the 12 bore would be too much I’ve also heard 20 bores can give more of a kick than equivalent load in a 12 I don’t want to put them off on there first attempt.

I don't think a 20 bore  semi auto with light clay load should bother my daughter to much but like I say shes  big for age ,at least with the Armsan with junior stock fitted its kind of made for youngsters with hopefully minimal faffing to get it to fit her properly

24 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

I have a .410 Norinco single barrel, which I keep for my daughter’s ocasional use and introducing friends’ kids to the sport.

It has a 3” chamber, so will take anything from the 9 gram 2” loads up to 18 gram 3” magnum loads.

And it’s fun to use as an adult, too :) I just remove or refit the recoil pad, depending on who is using it.

Is the Norinco bolt action?

4 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I don't think a 20 bore  semi auto with light clay load should bother my daughter to much but like I say shes  big for age ,at least with the Armsan with junior stock fitted its kind of made for youngsters with hopefully minimal faffing to get it to fit her properly

My daughters are quite petite, I suppose the 20 bore would give longer service, I’ll have a look into them

38 minutes ago, LesR said:

I’ve read they can be a bit useless and expensive for shells but was thinking about .22 or 9mm more to get them used to gun etiquette, firing and recoil. Do you think I’d be better going down the 410 route?

I did this with my boy for the same reasons, had a bolt action Webley and Scott garden gun. To me it was a sensible step up from an air gun because as you said, it teaches etiquette and safe handling of a firearm, + the noise that comes with firing a gun but without the recoil.

Yes the cartridges are expensive, expect to pay around £15-20 for a a box of 50, and no your not going to set a new world clay range record with one but they are capable of breaking a clay. I started off with static ones to build he's confidence. 

12 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I did this with my boy for the same reasons, had a bolt action Webley and Scott garden gun. To me it was a sensible step up from an air gun because as you said, it teaches etiquette and safe handling of a firearm, + the noise that comes with firing a gun but without the recoil.

Yes the cartridges are expensive, expect to pay around £15-20 for a a box of 50, and no your not going to set a new world clay range record with one but they are capable of breaking a clay. I started off with static ones to build he's confidence. 

Thanks, I’ve looked at the Webley and Scott garden guns, but never handled one. Please forgive me if this sounds daft, after each shot do you have to pull the bolt back and reload into the breech or do they have an internal magazine? I’ve tried to research them but not found what I was looking for.

13 minutes ago, LesR said:

Thanks, I’ve looked at the Webley and Scott garden guns, but never handled one. Please forgive me if this sounds daft, after each shot do you have to pull the bolt back and reload into the breech or do they have an internal magazine? I’ve tried to research them but not found what I was looking for.

I had a lovely one but foolishly swapped it, but yeah, pull the bolt back, sometimes the cartridge flings out, if not pick it up off the extractor, then slot a new cartridge into the breach and push the bolt back home. They are a doddle to use and clean, picked a 9mm kit up off eBay with rods and mops etc. 

Only thing I would say to check for is to make sure the extractor is in the bottom of the breach as they do get lost.

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I had a lovely one but foolishly swapped it, but yeah, pull the bolt back, sometimes the cartridge flings out, if not pick it up off the extractor, then slot a new cartridge into the breach and push the bolt back home. They are a doddle to use and clean, picked a 9mm kit up off eBay with rods and mops etc. 

Only thing I would say to check for is to make sure the extractor is in the bottom of the breach as they do get lost.

Thanks, it’s always good to know what to look out for.

Depending on the child’s age/size obviously, but for say, under 10/11 year old, I would say a Fourten is the way to go. It has noise and recoil (minimal, but plenty for children) and will break clays and kill stuff even with 2 inch 9 gram cartridges.

If you search around shooting folk you should be able to pick up an old folding gun for maybe twenty pounds. Do not be conned into paying much more for one, there are plenty around.

Edited by London Best

I have a 16 year old Granddaughter just moved onto an O/U 20 bore, no problems. A 13 year old small for her age shoots a SxS .410 with 2" 9gram, no problems.

I've just bought a Cooey Model 84, .410 I tried it with 2" 9gram and 3" 18gram myself. It's a Canadian single barrel hammer action. That way its lighter, can't be double triggered or fired in excitement (2nd barrel). Once its loaded and closed the hammer has to be positively pulled back. It can't therefore be negligently fired before you are ready. You can't be too careful with kids. I'm now about to cut the stock down to suit my 8 year old Granddaughter and 6 year old grandson after they've tried it this weekend. I'm also going to redo the woodwork and tidy it up generally.

In the past they've shot fun targets, static, with the above SxS. I made 2 small stands that I put Clay's on held by blue tac at various ranges. I also shake up cans of fizzy pop or plastic bottles of coloured water. My daughter is experimenting with other "soft" exploding targets for future use.

20200110_182900.jpg

18 minutes ago, London Best said:

Somebody gave me 50 two inch 9 gram cartridges with no.6 shot, only 84 pellets/load. Not used such a load since ratting with my Dad as a 13 year old nearly 60 years ago. I could not believe how effective they were against clays.

Its surprising how good they are, my 6 year old grandson had 4 hits out of ten shots on the beginners stand with my son holding the butt and helping steer the front end, telling him when to pull the trigger. I put 10 x 9g x 2" shots through the Cooey on Friday and was happily surprised that they could fair dust a clay at up to 35 yards. I used as easyish stand to be honest and it's a fixed full choke, as I wanted to make sure all was ok, but non the less it was real good fun.

Edited by Centrepin