First shotgun for daughters

LesR

The ones I've been using for the kids are all no, 6s. Terrific for what they are. Since my little ones have been going (about once a fortnight) theres been a noticeable increase in small kids shooting. 410s with grandads.

It's the adults that please me, no moaning that kids are taking up the stands and they always have a kind word and praise when the kids step back. That's encouraging in itself. 

£6 for 25 and that's about a months worth as I don't want to push them into it but want them to be keen enough to ask, "can we this weekend"

20200114_195017.jpg

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

9B1FC0BF-EE3E-40CE-9329-8778F5EB08E8.jpeg.95a5b8c1b16872f31e1b8e6121d61adf.jpeg96FB0870-5703-46AE-A078-8E0389B27CD6.jpeg.a0fcba57add756a34fed263b81930362.jpegI’ve used Express 7’s or 9’s for years, 14 gram, because the Eley 2 1/2 inch was only 12.5 gram, but Eley now do one called Trap 7 1/2, 14 gram. They are absolutely brilliant. Both my .410’s are 2 1/2 inch guns.

Very nice!

I've been using them 14g trap loads in my single barrel folder, they really are a good cart aren't they.

Personally I would say letting an 8 year old use a 20/12 is a bad idea. My daughter had a flinch created when I tried her with a 12g at 11 years old even with a light cartridge. I regret it as it spoiled shooting for her and she hates it now . 
I’m planning on trying my youngest daughter soon with a 2” cart In the .410. She’s almost 5 years old now. 

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’m currently working on a tiny stock for my mates son to try a 410 but he’s young . 200mm length of pull. 
lots of work on it yet after trying to sand 8mm all round off the recoil pad 😂😂😂. It’s a favour ( free) 

lots of sanding yet

E6E25F94-6BC3-4DF2-A0D4-AB03C685DA68.jpeg

Appreciate it’s work in progress but I’d not take too much off the comb and would round the corners off the butt pad with maybe a ounce or two of lead into the butt for Ballance 

you did weight the stock first 😊👍

kids are built differently from us 

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Appreciate it’s work in progress but I’d not take too much off the comb and would round the corners off the butt pad with maybe a ounce or two of lead into the butt for Ballance 

you did weight the stock first 😊👍

kids are built differently from us 

The stock is still around the same weight as the original at the moment but I can soon drill some holes in the back to add some lead . The dads going to be holding it with him for a long time yet tho as he’s young 👍. The pad gets its proper shape today I hope and rounded off but it’s getting close 😎
I’ve drawn around the original stock for the comb and it seems close on him. I’m just having a play really as the original is 6” to long for him to even mount it . 
It’s cost me £8 with the pad so far 😀😀😀

Edited by team tractor

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

The stock is still around the same weight as the original at the moment but I can soon drill some holes in the back to add some lead . The dads going to be holding it with him for a long time yet tho as he’s young 👍. The pad gets its proper shape today I hope and rounded off but it’s getting close 😎
I’ve drawn around the original stock for the comb and it seems close on him. I’m just having a play really as the original is 6” to long for him to even mount it . 
It’s cost me £8 with the pad so far 😀😀😀

£8 far to extravagant 😂😂

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

Personally I would say letting an 8 year old use a 20/12 is a bad idea. My daughter had a flinch created when I tried her with a 12g at 11 years old even with a light cartridge. I regret it as it spoiled shooting for her and she hates it now . 
I’m planning on trying my youngest daughter soon with a 2” cart In the .410. She’s almost 5 years old now. 

Even if she’s very keen I would be inclined to leave it a couple of years until she is seven. JMO

My sons are 5, 3 & 1 so this thread makes interesting reading. The cut down stock back weighted with decent recoil pad on a .410 looks the best option. I should get some efficiency from reuse at least!  I’ve told them that they have to be 7 to come shooting with me, and 8 to use a gun. But that may be too conservative? They are desperate to shoot a fox 🤦‍♀️ 

My oldest wants to use my PCP air rifle so may get some exploding targets, but have told him that on the day he decides to shoot with me he must give up all of his toy guns and playing with toy guns for good. I know it’s a boring approach but can decide when he’s ready I guess. 

Why not arrange a 'have a go' lesson at a clay shooting ground first   ?   At least they should have the correct gun/ammunition combo to avoid them getting hurt. I have taught countless youngsters over the many years that I have been an Instructor. They ranged from around 8 right through to young adults.  I cringe when I watch well meaning 'Dads' teaching youngsters with guns that are totally unsuitable. I know of quite a few 'kids' who have absolutely no interest in shooting whatsoever, all due to Dad forcing them to 'have a go', which resulted in them getting hurt and being put off for good. When they reach 17, will you be taking them out in the family car for their first driving lesson  ?

Go for a 410 and try and find one with open chokes because my first shotgun 67yrs ago was a sporterised Parker Hale 410 conversion of a 303 rifle and was so heavily choked I used it as a rifle and I hated it but fortunately was already hooked on shooting after five years of 'hunting' with an air rifl and quickly progressed to my grandfathers 12 gauge BSA in my early teens.

Approaching my 80th birthday at high speed I have now gone back to childhood and shoot a 410 exclusively for the same reason you should start your kids, light weight , low recoil..

These days with a choice of screw in chokes etc., it is so much easier to open the pattern for a youngster so they succeed in breaking a few clays and then they are hooked.

As Old farrier says, kids come in all shapes and sizes. I shot with a 14yr old last weekend and I can tell you I would not upset him. He looked down on me and I am a touch over 6ft. He could handle a 12 gauge no problem but he was in the minority. 

Don't be too keen and put them off.  Under 10yrs get them crazy on air rifles first.  Had my first at 7yrs old(72yrs ago) and that got me hooked on shooting. 

Edited by Walker570