Zantac and other medications

Leach

As anyone been on zantac and other medication like that or from a other manufacturer like ratindine  for heart burn or acid some brands have been recalled they can cause stomach cancer don't want to alarm anyone I was worried ive been on for 5 years

Hi Leach 

Please make an appt and talk to your GP about this. All medications will have a sheet in the packaging detailing side effects and we will each have a different response to them. A walk down the street will testify how different we all are. Your GP will have your medical history and will discuss your concerns

best regards

gdadphil

17 minutes ago, Leach said:

As anyone been on zantac and other medication like that or from a other manufacturer like ratindine  for heart burn or acid some brands have been recalled they can cause stomach cancer don't want to alarm anyone I was worried ive been on for 5 years

I take ranitidine occasionally , usually get it from the pound shop.

Lately there has been no sign of any at all on the shelves, I havnt bothered looking in pharmacies , as they usually only have branded Zantac.
The cancer risk seems to only apply to one batch (allegedly) and the risk was minute (allegedly) but the fact is , it appears to be very difficult to aqcuire the cheaper versions.

5 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Like Chinese baby milk! Only takes one company to try and cut corners! 

The strangest thing is , the company that does the £1 for 12 tabs is based just down the road from me, and theres no mention on their website about a recall, or any issues with the product.
Might pop in and have a word with them.

5 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

May find it’s government sanctioned that all such meds are restricted until they are happy it’s safe? 

The company sell to Boots , B and M , Poundshops and Asda, generic ranitidine has been around prescription free for around 15 years ?
They are also not the only unbranded pump inhibitor medication (was) available .

An interesting note is seems to have been replaced by the far more expensive (and effective) omeprazole meds , like nexium , guardian ect.

Took them for a while 10/15 years or so.....was prescribed Omeprazole then Lansoprazole.......no more acid reflux and heartburn! I take one daily....if I stop taking em the acid/ heartburn returns after a day or two!....very debilitating!

Edited by panoma1

49 minutes ago, Leach said:

if you have acid heartburn problems.................take a loooonnng hard look at what you eat.............you may be intolerant to gluten or something else............i went from being a major shareholder in rennies and anti acid  pills......................to zero heartburn anti acid

had one renni in about the last 4 mths.........

4 minutes ago, figgy said:

I used to take both 30 years ago for about a decade or so.

Hope it's not too bad a carcinogen.

A lot of the above were never marketed in the UK anyway, Ive certainly never seen them, and these are ZANTAC branded products.
Ive seen no disclaimers or warnings about generic ranitidine.

Edit , prescription only, zantac 75 tablets available without prescription do NOT contain the possible carcinogen.

Edited by Rewulf

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Took them for a while 10/15 years or so.....was prescribed Omeprazole then Lansoprazole.......no more acid reflux and heartburn! I take one daily....if I stop taking em the acid/ heartburn returns after a day or two!....very debilitating!

I’m on 2 a day and within 2 days I’m trying to be sick if I stop. I had a camera down my throat and it’s all burnt so I’ll carry on with lansoprazole. 

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you have acid heartburn problems.................take a loooonnng hard look at what you eat.............you may be intolerant to gluten or something else............i went from being a major shareholder in rennies and anti acid  pills......................to zero heartburn anti acid

had one renni in about the last 4 mths.........

I tried it after our word and I thought you’d nailed it but after 4 days I was bad again 👍. Always worth a try tho

After years of Vindaloos and cold fizzy lager, it caught up with me.

Lansoprazole put me right but it's prescription only I think. I was pointed towards Zantac/Ranitidine. Which also worked.

I toned down my curries and changed over to real ale. What a difference. I still occasionally have a blip by eating drinking the wrong things so without Zantac/Ranitidine Would be struggling for an alternative.

4 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

I’ve been on 150mg Ranitidine for around 5 years & I’m really struggling to find a replacement now it’s been banned, I’ve got 16 days worth left then dunno - it seems my gut doesn’t like anything ending in ‘aprozole 🤔

It's possible to get hold of it. 

https://www.prescriptiondoctor.com/heartburn/zantac

Or just Google 'buy ranitidine online' 

Peach Ethical in Nottingham were the supplier to £ shops ect, might be worth contacting them directly. 

18 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The strangest thing is , the company that does the £1 for 12 tabs is based just down the road from me, and theres no mention on their website about a recall, or any issues with the product.
Might pop in and have a word with them.

You might get the boot?😀

On 14/01/2020 at 21:35, redial said:

After years of Vindaloos and cold fizzy lager, it caught up with me.

Lansoprazole put me right but it's prescription only I think. I was pointed towards Zantac/Ranitidine. Which also worked.

I toned down my curries and changed over to real ale. What a difference. I still occasionally have a blip by eating drinking the wrong things so without Zantac/Ranitidine Would be struggling for an alternative.

I used to be a bit of a curry monster and after a few beers we'd often order Phall with a side accompaniment of fresh chillies - whilst there was the obligatory "ring of fire" afterwards I never suffered indigestion or reflux. That all changed on my first trip to India which I am convinced was triggered by the anti-malarials.

Few years later, just after my first spawn was born I had an endoscopy and a bit of squeaky bum time waiting for the results of the biopsy from a polyp (woke up half way through the procedure with the pipe down my throat which wasn't very pleasant). Diagnosis was GERD.

I've found that excess weight is the primary trigger coupled with lack of exercise and stress which often culminates in the winter months. Lansoprazole puts me right after a couple of days too.

My understanding is that GERD can cause a change in the cell structure of the esophagus which leads to cancer but for many there is a balancing act between the side-effects of regularly taking the medicine (including it losing its effectiveness) and the risks. I tend to only take it when I experience an episode of reflux or persistent indigestion.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

My understanding is that GERD can cause a change in the cell structure of the esophagus which leads to cancer but for many there is a balancing act between the side-effects of regularly taking the medicine (including it losing its effectiveness) and the risks. I tend to only take it when I experience an episode of reflux or persistent indigestion

Correct, I practice a similar regime , only take the pump inhibitors when you really have to.

If I feel it coming on ,more often than not , some sugar free gum , or a mint, staves it off.

The research suggests that shutting down your stomach acid, stops said acid from washing pre cancerous cells away from the  oesophagus, this is borne out by an upsurge in these cancers over the last decade or so.