Gun case refit 2

panoma1

I finally managed to complete the internal refit and reline of my old Midland gun company case (the finished external refurb was posted in a previous thread) it was anything but straightforward! :mad: The gun I was fitting out the case to accommodate, is a Midland Gun Company double 3” SBS magnum, which is larger, heavier built and well.....bigger! Than what was originally in the case! So most of the internal partitioning etc was not useable without modification, the breech was wider, as stock design and action needed new partitions etc made.....I finished it today attaching the original Trade label (the reason I purchased the gun case in the first place!) into the lid, the bits where the wears most, have been lined with leather, and the securing straps I made some months ago.

I think it’s turned our ok? 

52FA1486-D326-48CA-8515-5C2C5121FD1F.jpeg

8BC71F2D-1728-41B8-B79F-5C6F32084B3D.jpeg

A8EF2B40-54F4-49B4-9022-AFBA0FF37705.jpeg

95FDBDA7-E45B-4540-804C-DA7659F0902A.jpeg

Edited by panoma1

That looks really nice, I have been looking at a case for my WW Greener 16 bore and have seen several that need restoration . Could you tell me how you have stitched the leather bits on, or do you drill through the wood . Also what glue do you use to stick the baise because when I tried it soaked in and stained it. I am reasonably handy so thick I could do it ok with some tips

10 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

That looks really nice, I have been looking at a case for my WW Greener 16 bore and have seen several that need restoration . Could you tell me how you have stitched the leather bits on, or do you drill through the wood . Also what glue do you use to stick the baise because when I tried it soaked in and stained it. I am reasonably handy so thick I could do it ok with some tips

Yes an awl goes through the soft wood quite easily! Prior to stitching! And the glue I’ve used is hide glue (also called pearl glue) this is the traditional glue with which gun case baize is fixed.....it will not come through the baize, and any spillage can be removed with a damp cloth!

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Yes an awl goes through the soft wood quite easily! Prior to stitching! And the glue I’ve used is hide glue (also called pearl glue) this is the traditional glue with which gun case baize is fixed.....it will not come through the baize, and any spillage can be removed with a damp cloth!

Yes, but back to the case refit!:w00t: