Silosocks, opinions

getthegat

Possibly been asked before,  but can anyone offer first hand knowledge of using silosocks.  Do they only work in breezy conditions? And therefore do they need to all face the same direction? What happens to them if they get wet? Are they as effective as other decoys ie shells? I'm just considering them to reduce weight. 

In summer mate and i set up a bail hide in the centre of a field .we had a clump of silo socks. 1 clump of full bodied .1 of half shells and 1 of only real dead birds on cradels ..

We had them on the 4 sides of the hide .the idea was to see which the birds prefered best .we obviously  thought the dead birds would .

It made no difference .they came in and landed where they fancied .if i was to choose id say the silo socks possibly had more actually land .but then we did  mainly shoot them before touch down .

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

In summer mate and i set up a bail hide in the centre of a field .we had a clump of silo socks. 1 clump of full bodied .1 of half shells and 1 of only real dead birds on cradels ..

We had them on the 4 sides of the hide .the idea was to see which the birds prefered best .we obviously  thought the dead birds would .

It made no difference .they came in and landed where they fancied .if i was to choose id say the silo socks possibly had more actually land .but then we did  mainly shoot them before touch down .

That was an interesting useful piece of research. All this hype about full body deeks,  which I'm sure do work  very well,  but take up a lot of space and weight to carry, shows they are not absolutely necessary then. Cheers guys