Creature identification

getthegat

We have a couple of stacks of 1 ton straw bales, 5 high and 2 wide, where I walk the dog before going home. At the moment it is dark, 5.30 ish, so I use a torch. Nearly every evening we spot 1 to 4 foxes, eyes shining, usually about 100 yards away. One time though when shining the light to the top of the bales, I picked up two large eyes. There is no way it was a fox, too high up, wrong colour eyes. I was not close enough to see anything else and it suddenly disappeared.  My thoughts were an owl. Then a couple of days ago I spotted another pair of eyes, half way up the stack, but smaller and orange yellow in colour this time.  I would  estimate the eyes to be about 2 to 3 inches apart, so not a rat and again not a fox. As I held the beam on it, the thing vanished. On closer inspection I could see a gap between the two stacks exactly at the height I'd seen the eyes, around 6 or 8 feet from the ground, presumably what ever it was had gone deeper into the  bales. Surely it's too early for owl chicks, I thought maybe a hawk because of the eye colour,  though in the  dark and going into a bake stack, that doesn't make sense either? Any ideas?

Eliminated a cat, as the position I saw it was not much more than a small clump of straw angled down,  so not enough for a cat to sit on. I did see a barn owl on a pillion last night, about 50 yards from the  straw stack, I'm thinking owls. A friend got a trail cam for Christmas and is going to set it up.