Sign in to follow this  
getthegat

Creature identification

We have a couple of stacks of 1 ton straw bales, 5 high and 2 wide, where I walk the dog before going home. At the moment it is dark, 5.30 ish, so I use a torch. Nearly every evening we spot 1 to 4 foxes, eyes shining, usually about 100 yards away. One time though when shining the light to the top of the bales, I picked up two large eyes. There is no way it was a fox, too high up, wrong colour eyes. I was not close enough to see anything else and it suddenly disappeared.  My thoughts were an owl. Then a couple of days ago I spotted another pair of eyes, half way up the stack, but smaller and orange yellow in colour this time.  I would  estimate the eyes to be about 2 to 3 inches apart, so not a rat and again not a fox. As I held the beam on it, the thing vanished. On closer inspection I could see a gap between the two stacks exactly at the height I'd seen the eyes, around 6 or 8 feet from the ground, presumably what ever it was had gone deeper into the  bales. Surely it's too early for owl chicks, I thought maybe a hawk because of the eye colour,  though in the  dark and going into a bake stack, that doesn't make sense either? Any ideas?

Oh, you all know it's the black panther that roams from county to county whenever there is a quiet news day.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Trail camera 👍

Nah I wouldn't of thought it would be a trail camera, they only have one eye open. 😁

The farm cats here are quite willing to delve into the hay/straw bales and have yellow reflection from eyes in a normal torch light. 

Doh! Didn't think about cat, though possibly  Soph would have  sniffed it out. The stack is a long way from any houses and nothing there to eat, could be feral cat maybe

Strange it could be something out of space as come to visit or someone been to specksavers

20 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Was it Meghan hiding out Waiting for Harry to join her? 

more like megans next conquest............harry has been kicked into touch now..........he is back to mrs widow and her 4 daughters routine

It could be be megan waiting for Harry or it could be somebody else someone  like ET

I have 2 cats who often accompany myself and the dogs on our nightly walk. I use the same torch every night.

One of the cats , the Bengal has orange eyes reflection and the other, a big black moggy has whitey blue like the hid headlight bulbs seen in some cars.  

23 hours ago, getthegat said:

Doh! Didn't think about cat, though possibly  Soph would have  sniffed it out. The stack is a long way from any houses and nothing there to eat, could be feral cat maybe

Bale stack would = mice and rat so plenty to eat 

Eliminated a cat, as the position I saw it was not much more than a small clump of straw angled down,  so not enough for a cat to sit on. I did see a barn owl on a pillion last night, about 50 yards from the  straw stack, I'm thinking owls. A friend got a trail cam for Christmas and is going to set it up. 

That might be worth putting up you never know you might find out what it is and sovle the mistry just hope it is not refugees hold in it

Make sure you have your gat loaded and ready just in case it's some sort of beast of the night.