Grandchildren and guns

Centrepin

On 16/01/2020 at 17:57, team tractor said:

I’m the same with my boy. His mum leaves him on YouTube for days and I mean days and then becomes dependent on it and won’t switch it off.

ill have on my weekend and start to get some where and boom it’s mums time . 

hello, i am not going to explain my  life when i had the same sort of situation but my sons were slightly older, you can only do your best TT while your children are with you and by all accounts from your posts your doing very well, :good:  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I'm taking it out to put a range of different size cartridges through it. Not for pattern, it is what it is with a fixed full choke. I need to know the recoil on each shot and roughly what I can expect breaking clays. For now I know I'm going to  be letting him use the 2" x 9 gram 6s. Still want to try the 2 1/2 & 3" for my own education. His Mum (my daughter) is coming with me to try it tomorrow too. She's more used to a 12 bore, so it'll be fun learning.

With an eye to the future because the little man will soon grow, I've started on the inevitable extension.🙄

It's going to be a push on removable part giving the gun an almost indefinite life. It needs a rub down, stain and varnish to match and I'm searching the garage for an old BSA plate i have put away to grind to fit.

Second picture just shows how it'll fit, obviously it'll be pushed up tight.

20200121_115631.jpg

20200121_115710.jpg

2 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My mate paid £8 for a recoil pad off eBay and it’s lovely and soft if you get stuck .

Thanks for the offer but between me and my son we have a few in various thicknesses as my wife, daughter, 3 out of 4 grandkids all shoot and I chop and change a lot to get a good fit for them. 

My daughter had always favoured my old SxS with a pachmayr on, but having used the COOEY most of today she now wants a double barrel. 410 of her own.

My daughters new man came with us today and was rather surprised to see my daughter chopping and changing between the SxS 12g and .410 and smashing clays. My Miroku is too heavy for her. She started at about 8 yrs but stopped in her teens about the time I gave it up first time. I got him up shooting with the Miroku hitting some. I think he could become hooked too😁😁😁

9 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks for the offer but between me and my son we have a few in various thicknesses as my wife, daughter, 3 out of 4 grandkids all shoot and I chop and change a lot to get a good fit for them. 

My daughter had always favoured my old SxS with a pachmayr on, but having used the COOEY most of today she now wants a double barrel. 410 of her own.

My daughters new man came with us today and was rather surprised to see my daughter chopping and changing between the SxS 12g and .410 and smashing clays. My Miroku is too heavy for her. She started at about 8 yrs but stopped in her teens about the time I gave it up first time. I got him up shooting with the Miroku hitting some. I think he could become hooked too😁😁😁

I don’t know anyone that’s had a go and doesn’t want another go :) . 

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

I don’t know anyone that’s had a go and doesn’t want another go  . 

It's beholden all of us to ensure the continuation of our various shooting sports by bringing in new participants, this thread is all about that, whether young or old , the best way forward is trying under supervision then training to a safe competent level, it's all good😀

1 hour ago, impala59 said:

It's beholden all of us to ensure the continuation of our various shooting sports by bringing in new participants, this thread is all about that, whether young or old , the best way forward is trying under supervision then training to a safe competent level, it's all good😀

This is very true, we can guide them so far, as long as they're interested, as long as no pushing is involved. 

My grandkids are looking forward to rough camping this year, building their own shelters, foraging for edible plants and at night star gazing and wondering. My two littlest at 8 & 6 can already point out the North star.(sometimes😉)

My daughter reminded me of one the times I took her and her friends camping, I think they were about 8 years old.  I walked them about 3 miles so they were good and tired. Arriving at a pre determined spot they where delighted to find a Mars bar tree and spent a few minutes climbing and picking them. I told them they were treat size because they weren't fully ripe. 

Later while I cooked tea, I sent them into the woods looking for the ice cream tree for desert. When they came back empty handed I said it was probably too warm for them to flower.

One of her friends grew up believing in mars bar trees for years after.

I don't think my daughter has ever forgiven me. She reminded me cos I said I was taking the kids camping easter week, and I wanted little chocolate eggs for a wild goose chase.

Edited by Centrepin

52 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My daughter reminded me of one the times I took her and her friends camping, I think they were about 8 years old.  I walked them about 3 miles so they were good and tired. Arriving at a pre determined spot they where delighted to find a Mars bar tree and spent a few minutes climbing and picking them. I told them they were treat size because they weren't fully ripe. 

Later while I cooked tea, I sent them into the woods looking for the ice cream tree for desert. When they came back empty handed I said it was probably too warm for them to flower.

I don't think my daughter has ever forgiven me. She reminded me cos I said I was taking the kids camping easter week, and I wanted little chocolate eggs for a wild goose chase.

I’m just taking my little girl to test the 410 . Hope she likes it

My step Grandson came into my life when he was seven.   He had been raised by his Mum and she had done a good job of it.

However, he obviously lacked the mans stuff.   He was scared of the dark.   He had never caught a fish.   He had never handled a gun.   He didn't have a dog.   He had never driven a truck on a stubble field.   He had never been camping.

All of these things, and many more, we put right that first summer.

Now he is a Sergeant in the RAF and has a lad of his own.   I hope he does all of these man things with his lad.   If not then he will wish he had when he looks back on his life.

There is an absolute pleasure in showing the youngsters that there is more to life than a computer device.  

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Only got pineapple trees in my copse any chance of a cutting from your mars bar tree 😉

I’ve got a marshmallow bush it’s not fruited yet 🤔

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’m just taking my little girl to test the 410 . Hope she likes it

Fingers crossed for her, with the 2" 9gram cartridges it's good fun.

2 hours ago, Grandalf said:

My step Grandson came into my life when he was seven.   He had been raised by his Mum and she had done a good job of it.

However, he obviously lacked the mans stuff.   He was scared of the dark.   He had never caught a fish.   He had never handled a gun.   He didn't have a dog.   He had never driven a truck on a stubble field.   He had never been camping.

All of these things, and many more, we put right that first summer.

Now he is a Sergeant in the RAF and has a lad of his own.   I hope he does all of these man things with his lad.   If not then he will wish he had when he looks back on his life.

There is an absolute pleasure in showing the youngsters that there is more to life than a computer device.  

If you don't spend the time, life will be full of regrets.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Only got pineapple trees in my copse any chance of a cutting from your mars bar tree 😉

I’ve got a marshmallow bush it’s not fruited yet 🤔

I'll trade you a cutting from the marshmallows for a cutting from the mars bar tree.

Pineapple no good to us, it was too warm for the tin openers to fruit last year.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Fingers crossed for her, with the 2" 9gram cartridges it's good fun.

If you don't spend the time, life will be full of regrets.

I'll trade you a cutting from the marshmallows for a cutting from the mars bar tree.

Pineapple no good to us, it was too warm for the tin openers to fruit last year.

Brilliant I’ll tie a few cuttings on to the homing pigeon and send them up 

have to be honest the pineapple tree is a bit of a pain attracted no end of parrots and fruit bats 

32 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Used the 2” carts today and she loved it :) 

Good news glad you both had a good time 😊👍

36 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Used the 2” carts today and she loved it  

I'm chuffed to bits for you, its a  great feeling when they achieve something. Bottles of water and balloons are my favourite.  If there's not a lot of people around a  tin of fizzy pop well shook up is good👍

9 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Brilliant I’ll tie a few cuttings on to the homing pigeon and send them up 

have to be honest the pineapple tree is a bit of a pain attracted no end of parrots and fruit bats 

Good news glad you both had a good time 😊👍

We had problems with bats, couldn't get them to grow bigger than rounders bats.

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm chuffed to bits for you, its a  great feeling when they achieve something. Bottles of water and balloons are my favourite.  If there's not a lot of people around a  tin of fizzy pop well shook up is good👍

We had problems with bats, couldn't get them to grow bigger than rounders bats.

The fruit bats are a tad on the soft side for anything serious although they can make a good size 

It brings back memories of taking my son shooting, fishing and teaching him country ways that I knew and respected , grading him from air rifle target plinking  and gun handling eventually to quarry hunting.

Watching him grow and at times teaching me a thing or two learnt from reading shooting times  and books.

Doubt I will be teaching my grandsons the same as little to no interest shown from behind an X box.

A good topic 

16 minutes ago, deny essex said:

It brings back memories of taking my son shooting, fishing and teaching him country ways that I knew and respected , grading him from air rifle target plinking  and gun handling eventually to quarry hunting.

Watching him grow and at times teaching me a thing or two learnt from reading shooting times  and books.

Doubt I will be teaching my grandsons the same as little to no interest shown from behind an X box.

A good topic 

You just have to prize them out of the seat, maybe you're due a power cut.😉 Take them for a walk by a stream and let them get good wet and muddy.  A rope swing, searching for walking sticks and some stepping stones and they'll soon forget them there X stations and play boxes.

I think these days some kids are losing the art of playing out and using their imagination. 

46 minutes ago, team tractor said:

We just shot the ground 😂😂😂

Did you hit it🙈🙈🙈🥴😁😁😁