BASC statement

Farmboy91

Has anyone else read the statement made by the basc chairman in the countrymans weekly?

Should he have the nads to stand by what he'd said, and basc actually be vocal about it, it could be a good year for us lot. 

Not sure I agree with him on moving away from lead but the rest of what he's said looks pretty good.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Shooting goes hand-in-hand with conservation and as part of that, perhaps now is the time to start looking more carefully at sustainable ammunition. It is time to bust the myths and open our eyes to the inevitability of a future in which the use of lead shot is placed under greater examination."

Is there something that we don't know? Has the apparently now deemed mythical evidence by which we are guided changed? Who is it that is going to start looking?  if it is indeed inevitable as Mr Cameron suggests, my suggestion would be that BASC or any other shooting organisation takes no part in the research - unless, of course, it should be they that are doing the starting but that naturally would be inconceivable -  and in order to attempt to mitigate any losses that shooters are bound to suffer, the associations should concentrate on devising a phasing out/in timescale for the removal of the toxic lead and the introduction of its non-toxic, safe, effective and affordable replacement. After all, if it is inevitable then such action by any organisation designed to reduce any adverse impact on its members can only be met with approval. In the unlkely event that it would affect me, then I for one would welcome it with open arms.

I've obviously missed something, but this sounds more like wishful thinking on BASC's part. What are they planning to do, exactly, to help shooters? Why will the nay sayers suddenly get all touchy feely and accept game shooters - or any shooters, if it comes to that - as human beings?

More empty words from an empty organisation. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cheshirelad

same old hot air so as there is none so blind as them that refuse to see from now on certain people will longer receive invitations to any of my permissions on the grounds of safety especially mine should they see the light please let me know look forward to seeing everyone else as normal thank you 

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Has anyone else read the statement made by the basc chairman in the countrymans weekly?

Should he have the nads to stand by what he'd said, and basc actually be vocal about it, it could be a good year for us lot. 

Not sure I agree with him on moving away from lead but the rest of what he's said looks pretty good.

Lead and the fever to retain it has damaged the shooting community from the day it disappeared from wild fowling.  The stupid thing is the wildfowlers are not that bothered, nor would the game shooters if they just moved on.

Lead will go . Its just a case of when. BASC have done a pretty good job with lead and trying to keep it. The Afro eurasian bird agreement sealed leads fate in wildfowling. To be honest i am surprised it has survived as long elsewhere as it has. Lead is toxic it will go, and like a bad tooth we will notice its not there but the pain will have gone with it. and perhaps we might then be able to unite in the real threats to our shooting, rather than the constant mythering about LEAD.

13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Lead and the fever to retain it has damaged the shooting community from the day it disappeared from wild fowling.  The stupid thing is the wildfowlers are not that bothered, nor would the game shooters if they just moved on.

Lead will go . Its just a case of when. BASC have done a pretty good job with lead and trying to keep it. The Afro eurasian bird agreement sealed leads fate in wildfowling. To be honest i am surprised it has survived as long elsewhere as it has. Lead is toxic it will go, and like a bad tooth we will notice its not there but the pain will have gone with it. and perhaps we might then be able to unite in the real threats to our shooting, rather than the constant mythering about LEAD.

I don't doubt your right with regards to us not missing it, but do you seriously see shooters uniting?

I think whether it goes through force or willingly, after it has happened some will realise that lead shot was the least of our problems. No matter what we give up it will never be enough until we are stopped completely.

Wish I’d seen that....

Advice to @David BASC

Fight 1 - challenge the haters...... they don’t care what animals were shot with. If one or a thousand were shot, it doesn’t matter. 

Fight 2 - challenge the government on trying to take out sport away, because it involves killing.

Fight 3 - There is still a general consensus that only ‘toffs’ shoot. 

then - 

Fight 4 - lead ammunition defence. 

Maybe this ‘chappie’ at BASC should remember who pays his wages...... or ‘jog on’  the old chairman forgot.......

Just organising my gear for Saturday. My single box of Eley VIP 34gm #4 bismuth (@£36) tells a story....

PS - what is this chap’s salary? I’d love to know how it compares to the minimum and average UK wage..  another question for @David BASC  yes I am a member  

Edited by markm

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I don't doubt your right with regards to us not missing it, but do you seriously see shooters uniting?

I think whether it goes through force or willingly, after it has happened some will realise that lead shot was the least of our problems. No matter what we give up it will never be enough until we are stopped completely.

Like martin Luther king. I HAVE A DREAM, :lol:  In this dream we all do a very strange thing, we get behind our biggest shooting organisation.

Some nights i have a nightmare , When we don’t get behind BASC.

Unite?  I am a realist, but an ever hopeful one, But one thing is for sure we will never do it without we get on a horse, and only horse we have IS BASC. .  

3 minutes ago, markm said:

Wish I’d seen that....

BASC advice @davidbasc

Fight 1 - challenge the haters...... they don’t care what animals were shot with. If one or a thousand were shot, it doesn’t matter. 

Fight 2 - challenge the government on trying to take out sport away, because it involves killing.

Fight 3 - There is still a general consensus that only ‘toffs’ shoot. 

then - 

Fight 4 - lead ammunition defence. 

maybe this ‘chappie’ at BASC should remember who pays his wages...... or ‘jog on’  the old chairman forgot.......

Explain 4 a little more.

6 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Like martin Luther king. I HAVE A DREAM,   In this dream we all do a very strange thing, we get behind our biggest shooting organisation.

Unite?  I am a realist, but an ever hopeful one, But one thing is for sure we will never do it without we get on a horse, and only horse we have IS BASC. .  

Explain 4 a little more.

The general public prefer plastic / global warming / extinction / marine / flooding / drought. Lead ammunition is not currently in their sights. 

I’m sure BASC said lead wins, until there is an equivalent and economically viable alternative. (Along those lines).

24 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Like martin Luther king. I HAVE A DREAM,   In this dream we all do a very strange thing, we get behind our biggest shooting organisation.

I think if BASC were seen to be that bit more vocal, the vast majority would jump on that particular horse.

I think when it comes to 'fight' BASC should be taking the fight to them, rather than waiting to go on the defensive. 

Prevention is better than cure? Or words to that effect lol.

19 minutes ago, markm said:

The general public prefer plastic / global warming / extinction / marine / flooding / drought. Lead ammunition is not currently in their sights. 

I’m sure BASC said lead wins, until there is an equivalent and economically viable alternative. (Along those lines).

Agree on the plastics, bio wads etc should one readily available combat this. Hopefully.

Lead again use it until its banned ok. But do not expect any miracle eco lead alternative its not there, and anything directly comparable to lead will come at a price.

5 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I think if BASC were seen to be that bit more vocal, the vast majority would jump on that particular horse.

I think when it comes to 'fight' BASC should be taking the fight to them, rather than waiting to go on the defensive. 

Prevention is better than cure? Or words to that effect lol.

BASC are there to advise us, try to direct any pending legislation etc, They got no direct say, and they can be as vocal as they want, if the Government or others wont listen. They can do no more but look at other option, to try and help the shooters out.

Look at the medical certification , they are trying to help there until hopefully things improve perhaps through law.

They did what they could a year ago on the GL s / Packham fiasco, and i think they did a good job and will continue to on this. But they are not law makers (sadly0 they can just advise and hope the powers that be listen.

We need to get behind them, ask them for advice start writing to MPS , remember we have a conservative Government now, it might or might not help our position. But I think we could all do more by asking BASC what we can do.

The surveys questionares they present we should complete, Just thinking my say wont matter, is rather along the lines of not voting at an Election, we really Need to get involved all of us, and not just cassualy. how much do we love this sport?    Lots i am guessing ALL OF US. Slating BASC is not doing anybody any good. If we can not UNITE. at least lets agree we need each other to win. BY WIN. I mean Survive.

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

BASC are there to advise us, try to direct any pending legislation etc, They got no direct say, and they can be as vocal as they want, if the Government or others wont listen. They can do no more but look at other option, to try and help the shooters out.

Look at the medical certification , they are trying to help there until hopefully things improve perhaps through law.

They did what they could a year ago on the GL s / Packham fiasco, and i think they did a good job and will continue to on this. But they are not law makers (sadly0 they can just advise and hope the powers that be listen.

We need to get behind them, ask them for advice start writing to MPS , remember we have a conservative Government now, it might or might not help our position. But I think we could all do more by asking BASC what we can do.

The surveys questionares they present we should complete, Just thinking my say wont matter, is rather along the lines of not voting at an Election, we really Need to get involved all of us, and not just cassualy. how much do we love this sport?    Lots i am guessing ALL OF US. Slating BASC is not doing anybody any good. If we can not UNITE. at least lets agree we need each other to win. BY WIN. I mean Survive.

By more vocal I mean reach out to the wider public because at the end of the day having the ' not shooters but not anti shooting ' majority on our side is going to make all the difference. With the funds and tools at their disposal I think BASC could and should make a good job of that. There's so much good being done for conservation done by us lot and they should be shouting about it.

I don't see a problem with telling BASC how you feel about a particular issue but no, knocking them helps no one.

50 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

By more vocal I mean reach out to the wider public because at the end of the day having the ' not shooters but not anti shooting ' majority on our side is going to make all the difference. With the funds and tools at their disposal I think BASC could and should make a good job of that. There's so much good being done for conservation done by us lot and they should be shouting about it.

I don't see a problem with telling BASC how you feel about a particular issue but no, knocking them helps no one.

I think shooters as a whole do not shout enough about what they do anyway, BASC could do some promotion on shooting, and it might do some good. But clubs and syndicates do not shout enough about their existence, The grouse moors are like they are because of shooting, Wild fowling clubs are stewards of their marshes and know more about what goes on than any body else.

I think shooting needs more high priority success stories, but As a member of three wildfowling clubs despite trying to get projects off the ground, Environment agency and NE seem to be far less forthcoming to allow wildfowling clubs than non shooting groups or the RSPB etc.

I acept these set backs could just be individuals in the NE and EA in the local area, and others may have good support in other areas, but non the less, getting ground or in some cases permission to do improvements to habitat can meet opposition, even if sound conservation ideas.

Again BASC advice goes a long way, and they come out offering advice anytime we ask, which is good.

I am not sure exactly how we could ever get the areas like the RSPB have at their desposable, our income is not on their level, but its aq crying shame to se so many Reserves run by site managers with their idea on what will work in their site who chose to ignore advice even when it is sound conservation advice. It seems to be its more about the RSPB being a people pleasing org not one with a genuine interest in true conservation.

15 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I think shooters as a whole do not shout enough about what they do anyway, BASC could do some promotion on shooting, and it might do some good. But clubs and syndicates do not shout enough about their existence, The grouse moors are like they are because of shooting, Wild fowling clubs are stewards of their marshes and know more about what goes on than any body else.

I think shooting needs more high priority success stories, but As a member of three wildfowling clubs despite trying to get projects off the ground, Environment agency and NE seem to be far less forthcoming to allow wildfowling clubs than non shooting groups or the RSPB etc.

I acept these set backs could just be individuals in the NE and EA in the local area, and others may have good support in other areas, but non the less, getting ground or in some cases permission to do improvements to habitat can meet opposition, even if sound conservation ideas.

Again BASC advice goes a long way, and they come out offering advice anytime we ask, which is good.

I am not sure exactly how we could ever get the areas like the RSPB have at their desposable, our income is not on their level, but its aq crying shame to se so many Reserves run by site managers with their idea on what will work in their site who chose to ignore advice even when it is sound conservation advice. It seems to be its more about the RSPB being a people pleasing org not one with a genuine interest in true conservation.

It's always going to be an uphill struggle and it will end up at the point where we are to far down the line to right the wrongs that are being made. 

Dear All

Thank you ever so much for the comments, I think that we are all on the same side. Indeed by standing together and uniting we will be stronger. We may disagree on some specific points but the objective that I ma sure we all share is to ensure shooting stays, and as importantly that we try to all do our bit to get more people into shooting, and again as importantly clearly show the link between shooting and conservation.

David

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

It's always going to be an uphill struggle and it will end up at the point where we are to far down the line to right the wrongs that are being made. 

And particularly as as can be seen elsewhere on this particular sub-forum we have our own in house clowns who do us no favours at all.

42 minutes ago, David BASC said:

Dear All

Thank you ever so much for the comments, I think that we are all on the same side. Indeed by standing together and uniting we will be stronger. We may disagree on some specific points but the objective that I ma sure we all share is to ensure shooting stays, and as importantly that we try to all do our bit to get more people into shooting, and again as importantly clearly show the link between shooting and conservation.

David

I hope so, it was nice reading statement after the last 12 months or so we've had, it was positive and defiant and I sincerely hope for the future of our sport he means it.

34 minutes ago, wymberley said:

And particularly as as can be seen elsewhere on this particular sub-forum we have our own in house clowns who do us no favours at all.

No your right, they dont.

When I read certain threads I often think it's best to avoid them, the last thing the need is more attention. Why certain things get posted on an online forum is beyond me.