BASC statement

Farmboy91

I don’t do broadcast TV anymore, but a few short years ago when I did, there seemed to be plenty of ‘appetite’ for the knowing-where-your-food-comes-from type programmes, including the business end of killing your own dinner - As well as growing it. 

I’m not sure BASC needs to get into the business of making films for preaching-to-the-converted either (TGS, Fieldsports Britain, or if you must, Dave Carrie).

Speaking of Dave Carrie, his daughter seems to be doing far more for shooting than a lot of people and organisations put together.

What I’d like to know from BASC is how the ‘rapid reaction task force’ is doing.  You know, when the next cluster…. happens, like the GL’s last year, how BASC responds.  And I’m not just talking about getting on GMB/Sky News in the first 24h, but what the long-term strategy is.  Obviously, I wouldn’t expect BASC to spill the beans on public a forum, but it would be good to have some reassurance that this is being considered.  That there are plans in place to mitigate this.  That there isn’t going to be an uncoordinated scramble at BASC HQ to get press releases out.  That the basics are in place, like a duty-rota for the media-trained Spokespeople ready to go on TV/Radio.  That all the regions have their own media-trained people.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I don’t do broadcast TV anymore, but a few short years ago when I did, there seemed to be plenty of ‘appetite’ for the knowing-where-your-food-comes-from type programmes, including the business end of killing your own dinner - As well as growing it. 

I’m not sure BASC needs to get into the business of making films for preaching-to-the-converted either (TGS, Fieldsports Britain, or if you must, Dave Carrie).

Speaking of Dave Carrie, his daughter seems to be doing far more for shooting than a lot of people and organisations put together.

What I’d like to know from BASC is how the ‘rapid reaction task force’ is doing.  You know, when the next cluster…. happens, like the GL’s last year, how BASC responds.  And I’m not just talking about getting on GMB/Sky News in the first 24h, but what the long-term strategy is.  Obviously, I wouldn’t expect BASC to spill the beans on public a forum, but it would be good to have some reassurance that this is being considered.  That there are plans in place to mitigate this.  That there isn’t going to be an uncoordinated scramble at BASC HQ to get press releases out.  That the basics are in place, like a duty-rota for the media-trained Spokespeople ready to go on TV/Radio.  That all the regions have their own media-trained people.

That'll be your HFOs.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Are you talking about main stream TV? If so would that not be down to the broadcaster to decide if they would allow these to-be shown?

Why can't BASC buy an advert slot? Like I said, John Lewis release an advert each year, as do LIDL, ALDI and all the super markets. They could make short ones, showing grand kids going out fishing and shooting with their families. 

They could show people wild fowling, or rabbiting, and then presenting a home cooked meal to their families. Hunting is a brilliant way to connect with both nature and your natural food sources. 

They could promote more game cooking on prime time television. They could show hunters dropping off game to food banks, shelters and all sorts of places. 

Like I said, I only ever see their magazine full of money making adverts for retailers, and them putting on shows at shooting events etc. They will continue to preach to the choir.

Just look at the recent documentary released on Youtube about Guy Wallace, what a fascinating documentary. Again some friends who don't shoot watched it, he was such a character, and the film maker (who was a Vegan!) still did a fantastic job filming and producing it.

If some independent bloke can make such fantastic films, why can't a huge organisation like BASC? 

14 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why can't BASC buy an advert slot? Like I said, John Lewis release an advert each year, as do LIDL, ALDI and all the super markets. They could make short ones, showing grand kids going out fishing and shooting with their families. 

They could show people wild fowling, or rabbiting, and then presenting a home cooked meal to their families. Hunting is a brilliant way to connect with both nature and your natural food sources. 

They could promote more game cooking on prime time television. They could show hunters dropping off game to food banks, shelters and all sorts of places. 

Like I said, I only ever see their magazine full of money making adverts for retailers, and them putting on shows at shooting events etc. They will continue to preach to the choir.

Just look at the recent documentary released on Youtube about Guy Wallace, what a fascinating documentary. Again some friends who don't shoot watched it, he was such a character, and the film maker (who was a Vegan!) still did a fantastic job filming and producing it.

If some independent bloke can make such fantastic films, why can't a huge organisation like BASC? 

Lets say a commercial TV company decides to give it a go (not the BBC) after the first broadcast the company gets a few complaints which they ignore, subsequent broadcasts start to get the attention of WJ, LACS, etc, they put more pressure on the TV company by threatening to tweet, facbook all their member and the wider public, they also write/email all the advertisers who advertise during the broadcast and say they will recommend all their followers boycott the said advertisers, this is were the TV company will either stand firm and possibly lose revenue from advertisers or pull the plug, I have an idea of which way they may go.

Just now, old'un said:

Lets say a commercial TV company decides to give it a go (not the BBC) after the first broadcast the company gets a few complaints which they ignore, subsequent broadcasts start to get the attention of WJ, LACS, etc, they put more pressure on the TV company by threatening to tweet, facbook all their member and the wider public, they also write/email all the advertisers who advertise during the broadcast and say they will recommend all their followers boycott the said advertisers, this is were the TV company will either stand firm and possibly lose revenue from advertisers or pull the plug, I have an idea of which way they may go.

How sad. We should just let them bully us out should we 😞 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How sad. We should just let them bully us out should we 😞 

Yes very true, it is sad, your ideas are sound but unfortunately social media molds/moulds? the minds of the (young) general public.

I don’t have the answers, wish I did, I just wish it would all go away, bring back the 60s-70s shooting never had the pressure its now under.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Yes very true, it is sad, your ideas are sound but unfortunately social media molds/moulds? the minds of the (young) general public.

I don’t have the answers, wish I did, I just wish it would all go away, bring back the 60s-70s shooting never had the pressure its now under.

I think the recent election shows us that Social Media is the voice of the noisy minority, and the majority of people are sensible enough.

BASC and shooting need to put out a positive image otherwise it's only going one way. 

7 minutes ago, David BASC said:

In answer to the question above, yes we do have a duty-rota for the media-trained spokespeople ready to go on TV/Radio and all the regions have their own media-trained people.

But will that be by invite only? That is to put our point on main stream media, TV/Radio.

something I do not have the answer to is…can TV companies refuse to air an advert that is perfectly legal but contains something the public may not like (shooting for instance).

Just now, old'un said:

But will that be by invite only? That is to put our point on main stream media, TV/Radio.

something I do not have the answer to is…can TV companies refuse to air an advert that is perfectly legal but contains something the public may not like (shooting for instance).

BASC looks to have a whole host of reactionary media provision, able to field a response to negative press at the drop of a hat. In the case of the GL challenge they were able to mount and support a robust evidence based response. All well and good but reactinary non the less. What we are looking for is action in advance of the threat. Action against the ever increasing and slow drip drip of change as the public associates everything animal with a disney like perception of reality. 

To do this we need a startegy that wins hearts and minds, young shoots, a taste of game the shooting code all play a part but I think we need a lot more. We have to somehow embed our love of country and country sports into the public mind set, by playing the media game to the next level. Intervention in the visual media space through the positive portrayal of shooting sports, building upon traditions and the contribution that game management has to the countryside. Interventions that portray what we do as an intrinsic part of the very countryside without which the coountryside would not be what it is.

Mainstream media is more likely play to the populist market that is self evident so BASC has a role to intervene in that space to win the argument. That could be through sponsoring media content in all it's forms (you tube channels, the production of film that can be taken by broadcasters). BASC has the means to make this happen. 

Yes TV and radio companies can refuse to run adverts just as print media can.

With regard to TV or radio interviews its a bit of a 2 way thing to be honest, we constantly update broadcasters as to our availability to discuss a range of issues surrounding shooting and conservation, they will then contact us sometimes weeks before, sometimes hours before they are going to air on the subject. But recently for example we were asked by a TV company to come to the studio to discuss pest control, they were doing a live interview the following day so we sent  a member of staff to London, we went to the studio, went into the studio, and when we got there were told they were not going to film us , just the other person who was speaking out against it.

More recently, one national newspaper was running a series of articles on trophy hunting, they were against it, we contacted them to say there needs to be balance so they asked us for our response, we drafted 4 quite short paragraphs on the social, economic, environmental and conservation benefit of such  regulated hunting, they printed one sentence...

1 hour ago, David BASC said:

With regard to TV or radio interviews its a bit of a 2 way thing to be honest, we constantly update broadcasters as to our availability to discuss a range of issues surrounding shooting and conservation, they will then contact us sometimes weeks before, sometimes hours before they are going to air on the subject. But recently for example we were asked by a TV company to come to the studio to discuss pest control, they were doing a live interview the following day so we sent  a member of staff to London, we went to the studio, went into the studio, and when we got there were told they were not going to film us , just the other person who was speaking out against it.

More recently, one national newspaper was running a series of articles on trophy hunting, they were against it, we contacted them to say there needs to be balance so they asked us for our response, we drafted 4 quite short paragraphs on the social, economic, environmental and conservation benefit of such  regulated hunting, they printed one sentence...

So we are at the mercy of the media, they only want us if they think it will improve ratings (revenue) from your post above its obvious they do not want the full story or willing to give us air time, it’s a case on their part of “we will call you if we need you”  or you tell us your side of the story and we will pick the bits out that we want.  

David thank you for your reply but unless we can get our point across on mainstream media I think we will be preaching to the converted for ever and a day.

55 minutes ago, David BASC said:

The HFO's, and HEO's (Hon Education Officers)  ceased to be many years ago to be honest, I have been here for 25 years and they were not around when I arrived.

The likes of either will never be seen again I feel and as said the HFOs were redundant when the regional offices got off the ground. I appreciate that I'm in the minority - possibly of just one - but sooner or later I can see the need for a replacement for the HEOs but these will not be of that ilk and unless there's a major change in attitude these will not be recruited by BASC as they should and the opportunity will be lost. My money would be on LANTRA. I really hope the need for them does not arise in one sense, yet in another, I can't help thinking that to a degree, it already has.

Some food for thought here, especially the musings of Sasha the videographer from 10:56 onwards. Interesting that he sees no point in making beautiful films for a tv audience but rather that short, snappy content which has more relevence for use on social media - where this battle is actually being fought - is where we should be concentrating our energies.

Todays example of short , snappy content and low production cost. The sort of thing that you can instantly copy and drop into an online debate or just use to refine your own arguments by absorbing the technical content. When you have a moment to spare just take a look at the sheer number of videos on the TGS You Tube page and compare it in terms of content, quantity and relevence to those on the BASC You Tube page. One is produced and made on a shoestring, the other has the backing of full time employees, a state of the art media centre and significant funding. Who`s got it right?

54 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Todays example of short , snappy content and low production cost. The sort of thing that you can instantly copy and drop into an online debate or just use to refine your own arguments by absorbing the technical content. When you have a moment to spare just take a look at the sheer number of videos on the TGS You Tube page and compare it in terms of content, quantity and relevence to those on the BASC You Tube page. One is produced and made on a shoestring, the other has the backing of full time employees, a state of the art media centre and significant funding. Who`s got it right?

:good:This is what we want and lots of it. Sponsored by BASC rather than made by them. 

20 hours ago, old'un said:

Yes, TV companies can pick and choose.

48 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

In which case it is to be hoped that they can get the sub-titles sorted for the millions of us hard of hearing old-uns

On 23/01/2020 at 16:27, David BASC said:

ok take it to the kids as antis do using   social media platforms      and give them the information and the facts  to question some of the garbage out there

Edited by Saltings