Season’s over

Dave at kelton

Unfortunately my season has been cut short by a spell in hospital with pneumonia so no more picking up or wildfowling for seven months. About the only thing I have the strength to do is turn to the tying bench to top up the fly boxes. With a time on my hands until I get back to work I thought I would put a little effort in with the gallows tool. I hope the trout appreciate it.

73CA536A-5124-4763-9DEB-12F6CD16E4D0.jpeg

6E5FA7AC-8399-41FA-976C-F9B30410A793.jpeg

Very nice set of flies Dave.  I don't tie these days having had to give up on fishing small streams which are my love. There is something theraputic about tying flies I believe and hope it helps your speedy recovery.    Try tying some back to front flies. I did this on my last two seasons with great success. Watch flies hatch on the surface and 9 out of 10 will face upstream which a back to front fly will do.  pretty simple, put the hackle on the bend  then tie in the tails which will protrude over the eye and then the body of choice with a normal whip finish  at the eye. The trick is getting that whip finish real neat. I used to just pass a couple of loops over the tail with a spot of varnish and never had one come loose.

59 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Very nice set of flies Dave.  I don't tie these days having had to give up on fishing small streams which are my love. There is something theraputic about tying flies I believe and hope it helps your speedy recovery.    Try tying some back to front flies. I did this on my last two seasons with great success. Watch flies hatch on the surface and 9 out of 10 will face upstream which a back to front fly will do.  pretty simple, put the hackle on the bend  then tie in the tails which will protrude over the eye and then the body of choice with a normal whip finish  at the eye. The trick is getting that whip finish real neat. I used to just pass a couple of loops over the tail with a spot of varnish and never had one come loose.

Thanks will give those a go

6 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Unfortunately my season has been cut short by a spell in hospital with pneumonia so no more picking up or wildfowling for seven months. About the only thing I have the strength to do is turn to the tying bench to top up the fly boxes. With a time on my hands until I get back to work I thought I would put a little effort in with the gallows tool. I hope the trout appreciate it.

73CA536A-5124-4763-9DEB-12F6CD16E4D0.jpeg

6E5FA7AC-8399-41FA-976C-F9B30410A793.jpeg

nice job ! that looks like a worthy way to spend your time, get well soon