End of month we having snow

Leach

Sadly true that the country seems to grind to a halt with a bit of snow!  Someone once told me, that in Canada it's not unusual for the temp to drop to minus 40 yet life goes on.  Apparently, the Canadian children play out when it's extremely cold.  As you say, Leach,  schools tend to close here....well, some at least.  My daughter's school makes a huge effort to stay open, which is appreciated.  But yeh, when's Summer?  Quite possibly, the 3rd Tuesday in August! 

I was in Boston MA (the most UK like of all the US cities I've visited) a few years back when it was unseasonably cold at -25c (sea had frozen), it would snow overnight and yet by 8am in the morning the pavements would be clear and life carried on completely normally.    Conversely, I'm just packing my bags for a trip to Houston TX, the last time I was there, a couple of years back the temp dipped to -5c for a few days and that really messed things up..they insulate to keep the heat out in Texas so everything unprotected froze...no gritters for the roads...made the UK look quite good at it... 

We went skiing in Finland a couple of years back. It was excruciatingly cold. -34 Celsius the one day. You could ski for 45 minutes before you started getting cold and 1 more run was always a bad idea because youd end up painfully cold before you could get to the nearest bar and fire! But cars and buses ran as normal. The Russians especially drove as of the roads were perfectly dry and didn't have a good layer of snow and ice on. No crashes, bumps or bangs and like I said life continued. The  east from the east 2yrs ago did affect us because I had to cart water to the sheep and horses but apart from that life went on. When it started snowing I was on my way to do the horses and ended up towing car after car out of hedges because people couldn't drive in a little bit of snow.

32 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I think this story gets put out every year to boost winter tyre sales. 

Yep. And the answer to why we can’t cope ( or some of us can’t) is that we just aren’t geared up to deal with heavy quantities of snow, whereas Canada is.
People would be very quick to criticise if councils or governments spent huge amounts of money on expensive equipment which is just sat idle for nine or ten months of the year. 

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

We went skiing in Finland a couple of years back. It was excruciatingly cold. -34 Celsius the one day. You could ski for 45 minutes before you started getting cold and 1 more run was always a bad idea because youd end up painfully cold before you could get to the nearest bar and fire! But cars and buses ran as normal. The Russians especially drove as of the roads were perfectly dry and didn't have a good layer of snow and ice on. No crashes, bumps or bangs and like I said life continued. The  east from the east 2yrs ago did affect us because I had to cart water to the sheep and horses but apart from that life went on. When it started snowing I was on my way to do the horses and ended up towing car after car out of hedges because people couldn't drive in a little bit of snow.

Its like that in Upstate New York, absolutely freezing in the winter, people die every year from hypothermia. But life just carries on like normal, the roads are cleared instantly..and that has a big effect on keeping everything running.

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, walshie said:

They said we'd have snow on 6th. We didn't. Then 10th. We didn't They said today would be sunny and dry. It's been pouring down and windy all day. They can't predict a day in advance so 2 weeks? No chance.

but they can predict global warming tho'

Yep, remember 63/4 and 93 and it all went carzy 93 all the power lines went down and without electricty for 8 days just fired up the log burner and cooked meals on that.  I have a friend in the Rockies where they can get five to six inches a night for weeks and still survive and get to work.

Edited by Walker570