My boys been busy again

team tractor

Well this time we’ve gone up a size to iPad holders. I had 3 people order them off him and now because I said £10 for my boy , none of them want one 😐😬. It’s 18mm birch ply at £60 a sheet . 
I’ll see if they sell but otherwise I’ll gift them :/ to family. 

6EA9D1B2-C3E6-4DBA-A401-7DADD4A4B592.jpeg

F9C1F773-CD80-465C-BBFF-59ABD5A646FE.jpeg

CA2DB984-0994-49DE-9ACE-9431AAA63844.jpeg

Edited by team tractor

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gordon Bennett, do they expect them for nothing?

Have you registered as a CHARITY?

No I just count it as his pocket money . He’s 10 so anything is a bonus for his savings account. He’d like a laser engraver so it’s towards that really. I’m just glad he’s interested. It’s only using off cuts .

Some seriously miserable people about....I don't have an I Pad, don't even know what one is but would be happy to give the lad a tenner just so he can get is engraver....mind I would expect preferential treatment for any engraving:yes:.....................  Best of luck to the lad and nice to know he has a dad willing to point him in the right direction.

Going by some of the dealings I've had in the last couple months the vast majority of the country seems to want something for nothing. 

It's a shame the three who ordered put a bit of a dampener because TT's boy has clearly put the time and effort in and used a quality material. I suppose there will always be those who don't appreciate paying that bit more for handmade quality 👍

19 minutes ago, team tractor said:

No I just count it as his pocket money . He’s 10 so anything is a bonus for his savings account. He’d like a laser engraver so it’s towards that really. I’m just glad he’s interested. It’s only using off cuts .

When I was around your lads age we would go to the wooden box factory we had on the edge of our village and buy a barrow load of off cuts , these were the off cuts from the boards they used to make the boxes , we would then chop them up for kindling , we were also friendly with the local post man who would give us a load of elastic bands for a couple of bundles of kindling , we would then knock on the neighbours doors and sell them for 3d a bundle , after a while the chap at the factory got to know us and would cut the off cuts into about 8 inch lengths , these were easy to cut into sticks and the elastic bands held a bundle together nicely .

We never made a lot of money but our parents were short of money and a few bob was like a small fortune to us and we learnt at a early age not to waste money after the hard work in making it .

Nowadays there are very few coal fires and in your case , plywood is far to hard to chop up :lol:

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

When I was around your lads age we would go to the wooden box factory we had on the edge of our village and buy a barrow load of off cuts , these were the off cuts from the boards they used to make the boxes , we would then chop them up for kindling , we were also friendly with the local post man who would give us a load of elastic bands for a couple of bundles of kindling , we would then knock on the neighbours doors and sell them for 3d a bundle , after a while the chap at the factory got to know us and would cut the off cuts into about 8 inch lengths , these were easy to cut into sticks and the elastic bands held a bundle together nicely .

We never made a lot of money but our parents were short of money and a few bob was like a small fortune to us and we learnt at a early age not to waste money after the hard work in making it .

Nowadays there are very few coal fires and in your case , plywood is far to hard to chop up 

3d 😀😀 I’m almost 40 so not used to that money 😂.

i used to cut lawns for money while others washed cars . I’m just glad he’s trying 😊

37 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Going by some of the dealings I've had in the last couple months the vast majority of the country seems to want something for nothing. 

It's a shame the three who ordered put a bit of a dampener because TT's boy has clearly put the time and effort in and used a quality material. I suppose there will always be those who don't appreciate paying that bit more for handmade quality 👍

His family appreciates it so they’ll spoil him with chocolate 😀
I showed a customer his phone holders today and she bought one off him 😎

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Some seriously miserable people about....I don't have an I Pad, don't even know what one is but would be happy to give the lad a tenner just so he can get is engraver....mind I would expect preferential treatment for any engraving.....................  Best of luck to the lad and nice to know he has a dad willing to point him in the right direction.

If we get one you’ll have to come over 😊

7 minutes ago, team tractor said:

😀😀 😂 

His family appreciates it so they’ll spoil him with chocolate 😀

I showed a customer his phone holders today and she bought one off him 😎 

That's a result then, can't beat that proud dad feeling seeing your child make something 👍

He'll be poaching your customers before long 😂

4 minutes ago, team tractor said:

3d 😀😀 I’m almost 40 so not used to that money 😂.

i used to cut lawns for money while others washed cars . I’m just glad he’s trying 😊

3d was a quarter of a shilling ( today's 5p ) , the barrow load was a shilling ( a bob ) , we got very good at loading it and when we tipped it up in our shed you would never believe you could have got all that wood on a little one wheel barrow , we also done bob a job for the cubs , I am sorry to say not all the bobs went to the scouts as some had to be removed for expenses like buying a scouts cap.

Nice to know ten year boys are still enterprising :good:

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Hi nath,

Our connor has a laser engraver if he want to have something done...

M1

19 hours ago, team tractor said:

Just want to play really and try to mix computers with work . Hoping he’ll be interested 

Why not be a bit more enterprising and use your off cuts to make bird house feeders , you could also do them in kit form , looking at them in the garden centre a basic one is around £30 , your boy could then use his engraver to put a name on the front , or what the buyer want to name the bird box .

If you know a small builder who repair roofs , or renew roofs he would have stacks of old slates you could use for the roofs , tell yer , this time next year your lad might have his own company and employing you .

29 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Why not be a bit more enterprising and use your off cuts to make bird house feeders , you could also do them in kit form , looking at them in the garden centre a basic one is around £30 , your boy could then use his engraver to put a name on the front , or what the buyer want to name the bird box .

If you know a small builder who repair roofs , or renew roofs he would have stacks of old slates you could use for the roofs , tell yer , this time next year your lad might have his own company and employing you .

I’m thinking of planters this spring out of pallet wood etc 

• 5 weeks later...

Although this is a picture of a guitar stand, the principle could easily be adopted to make ipad/tablet holder or mobile phone stands.  Any little offcuts from fancy hardwoods and a super safe to use scroll saw could have your lad making some really flashy, but simple things.  Easy to knock up a folding version too.

If he gets his laser engraver then pop his name or his logo on them and get them bashed out at every craft and boot sale.

DB0858B4-6984-44B3-B92C-F387438F7642.jpeg

Good to see how your lads making stuff and learning to earn/value £ 

not in the market for anything at the moment 

however 

if you’re ever holidaying in my neck of the woods and the lads up for it 

he’s welcome to come and have a day in my forge (under supervision) and maybe make something dangerous or useful 👍😊

bird nest boxes are always a good bet 😊

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

he’s welcome to come and have a day in my forge (under supervision) and maybe make something dangerous or useful 👍😊

That made me smile.  Something without danger or purpose is quite simply no fun, if it can be both dangerous and useful that is a definite win.