Anyone got a B525 SL ?

pwinnall

Hello,

I have been looking at the B525 SL laminate and have seen 3 second hand one's at dealers that are 4 months old or less.

I presume these are sales that the new owner's don't like.  Makes my wary why they would sell them so quick.

Does anyone else have one and like it?

thanks Phil

Curious coincidence - I was in the local gun shop on Tuesday of this week and there was a guy in front of me trying to trade one in.    It's most likely just a case of the novelty wearing off something that doesn't match the very traditional tastes of the shooting community i.e. there are few second hand Benelli 828U Sports appearing on the used market for the same reason. 

7 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Possible "impulse" buys because the gun is new and different. Then realizing that different is not always a good thing. If you can believe them the gun gets excellent reviews. Tizz a bit of a funny colour though!

I have a Ruger 10/22 with the same laminate. It would match :-)

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I shouldered one at Avalon Guns in Mendip Shooting Ground.  I thought it heavy as a heavy thing, and the stock appears to be as ugly as a synthetic stock, with none of the benefits.  However, beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, and tellingly my missus liked it.

To be honest, I liked the plain action. Nice simple lines.

I would like that action with a trap forend in what ever wood or laminate it comes with.

I handled a few, fella at local ground bought one when he had a Miroku Mk38.

Every one I picked up had very sharp checkering and the wood didn't feel dense, bit like soft wood ply, probably birch or beech. The guns handling was very front heavy.

The Benelli 828U was also front heavy.

Not to my liking.

25 minutes ago, pwinnall said:

I'm very undecided now on the laminate.

It's a very marmite look.

But...As you're seeing so many secondhand ones, go to a shop with an attached ground (e.g. the aformentioned Avalon/Mendip SG) and try one.  A box full of carts will soon help you decide if it fits and how it handles.

I couldn't swear to it but the balance felt different from a normal 525, however given I've shot neither I could be talking out of my posterior.

5 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

I really like the appearance, very modern and certainly different to the norm. Would definitely consider one if I ever decided to change from my ultra XS. My worry would be knocking / scratching the stock. Is it even possible to raise a dent in laminate?

I have just looked at an Ultra XS.

They are lovely guns! Makes me think of one of those now :-)  Obviously second hand, they are expensive.

Are they the same action as a 525?

55 minutes ago, pwinnall said:

I have just looked at an Ultra XS.

They are lovely guns! Makes me think of one of those now 🙂 Obviously second hand, they are expensive.

Are they the same action as a 525?

I think so, although they originally came out after 425 (I'm not sure of the action differences between 425/525?). I bought one of the early ones years ago with a non-adjustable stock (which I had fitted) and I seem to get on well with it. They do seem to come with nice wood if that floats your boat.

There have been a number of slightly different spec models introduced over the years (xs titanium prestige, xs pro, etc.) which would be worth considering depending on the size of your wallet.  I would also look at Miroku MK38 too... So many choices!  Good luck.👍

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Every one I picked up had very sharp checkering and the wood didn't feel dense, bit like soft wood ply, probably birch or beech. The guns handling was very front heavy.

That’s was my opinion also, the checkering was very sharp, I felt that after 100 or so it would definitely chafe the hands. 

I must admit I’m a fan of the colour of the laminate though.

I've got a 525 sl in 32", it is heavier than the standard sporter one at about 8 1/2 lb and balances 1/4" in front of the hinge pin, I don't find the checkering sharp at all and i am really enjoying it, shooting quite well with it even though it's a little front heavy compared to my dt10