Ripped Off

Blackpowder

21 minutes ago, old man said:

All about cash conversion, tax the older stuff till the peeps buy new with loads of VAT?

Yep. When they came up with the bonkers idea of little or no tax on low emissions cars it was obvious there'd come a time when the total tax raised would start falling. Consequently the whole mad scheme is gradually reverting. For example my 15 plate 2 litre petrol car is still only £30 p.a. but if it was a 2019 build the tax would be £140. Who on earth comes up with these crazy systems?

My slightly "touched" brother in law, despite being by far the wealthiest person in the family, drives a clapped out and leaking1988 Nissan Prairie, for which privilege he pays more road tax each year than the car is worth but still much less than a typical modern SUV, despite emitting more pollutants than all the other cars in his road added together.

6 hours ago, Westward said:

Yep. When they came up with the bonkers idea of little or no tax on low emissions cars it was obvious there'd come a time when the total tax raised would start falling. Consequently the whole mad scheme is gradually reverting

The bizzare thing is my Rav4 Hybrid, exactly the type of car they want us to buy is 140 as well?

For the moment very low company car tax though.

6 hours ago, Westward said:

My slightly "touched" brother in law, despite being by far the wealthiest person in the family, drives a clapped out and leaking1988 Nissan Prairie, for which privilege he pays more road tax each year than the car is worth but still much less than a typical modern SUV, despite emitting more pollutants than all the other cars in his road added together.

My dad had a 1982 B reg one of those from 86 to 92, great for shooting with sliding rear doors and folding rear bench seat etc.

3 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

My dad had a 1982 B reg one of those from 86 to 92, great for shooting with sliding rear doors and folding rear bench seat etc.

My B-I-L is a bit eccentric, especially when it comes to spending money. He has very deep pockets and very, very short arms. He stayed for a week over Christmas and went home to his £1.5 million pound home near Hampton Court with exactly the same amount of money he arrived with.

The Prairie recently picked up an unrepairable windscreen chip. It took a week for Autoglass to find a replacement as there were only 4 left in the country. They even suggested it might not be economically sensible to fork out for a new windscreen on a 31 year old car but he insisted. It needs a new exhaust but there's no one still making them so his garage keep patching it up. The rubber door seals have gone hard and rain gets in so the footwells are always soaking wet. There's probably more but I haven't looked very closely at the thing. He's a low mileage driver who spends hundreds of pound every year getting it bodged up and of course £240 ish on road tax when it only worth scrap value, yet he won't entertain a more modern car until it either dies or fails MOT.

31 minutes ago, Westward said:

My B-I-L is a bit eccentric, especially when it comes to spending money. He has very deep pockets and very, very short arms. He stayed for a week over Christmas and went home to his £1.5 million pound home near Hampton Court with exactly the same amount of money he arrived with.

The Prairie recently picked up an unrepairable windscreen chip. It took a week for Autoglass to find a replacement as there were only 4 left in the country. They even suggested it might not be economically sensible to fork out for a new windscreen on a 31 year old car but he insisted. It needs a new exhaust but there's no one still making them so his garage keep patching it up. The rubber door seals have gone hard and rain gets in so the footwells are always soaking wet. There's probably more but I haven't looked very closely at the thing. He's a low mileage driver who spends hundreds of pound every year getting it bodged up and of course £240 ish on road tax when it only worth scrap value, yet he won't entertain a more modern car until it either dies or fails MOT.

Sounds a bit thick, it's a false economy. 

Buy something quality that lasts years to come, not something half the price that you replace or fix every year. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sounds a bit thick, it's a false economy. 

Buy something quality that lasts years to come, not something half the price that you replace or fix every year. 

I've met more than one 'millionaire' (in that they own or have mortgaged more than a million quid in assets) who have a very odd take on what used to be called 'Bangernomics' - they spend either a lot of time or money keeping cars on the road that would be, at best enthusiast vehicles.  These are usually people who have a very clear grasp of the value of their time.

Then again, this beats by a country mile, the kind of people who don't spend money on wear items (tyres, brakes, dampers...) and move the car on rather than 'spend money' on it, and  cut about country roads with inadequate rubber/friction material.  They're then surprised when they're presented larger repair bills because, for example, their knackered brake pads have scored the rotors.

Penny wilse, pound foolish.

Then again until very recently I owned Land Rovers...yes, plural.

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my 1300cc dihatsu terios is £260 

Mines £300 ??? How’s that work 

1.3 autoTerios is £300

vw t6 140bhp £265

Ford Fiesta 1.6d is £20 

My customer has a 2l petrol bmw that’s a hybrid and it’s free but my parents have the same car but not hybrid and it’s £145 but for the first 3 years it’s £450

Edited by team tractor

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

Mines £300  How’s that work 

1.3 autoTerios is £300

vw t6 140bhp £265

Ford Fiesta 1.6d is £20 

My customer has a 2l petrol bmw that’s a hybrid and it’s free but my parents have the same car but not hybrid and it’s £145 but for the first 3 years it’s £450

hello, i just looked again was £260 paid on the reminder form, thats a 55 plate with 1,300cc engine, i would check yours with the DLVC web site

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i just looked again was £260 paid on the reminder form, thats a 55 plate with 1,300cc engine, i would check yours with the DLVC web site

I paid £295 last year and it’s £300 online now . I do pay monthly as I never know how long it’s going to last 😂 but it’s about £15 more . I haven’t got it running other cars . 
strange one

23 hours ago, washerboy said:

£125 a Yr for my 2 litre diesel altea

Same engine with stop start in a Leon, same manufacturer is free for the year? 

My 2006 Altea FR 2.0 diesel (170 BHP) was £230 a year....

My 2011 Ford Kuga 2.0 Diesel 4x4 (163 BHP) is £200 a year.

Its all a con really 

:shaun:

17 hours ago, Westward said:

The thing is though the tax is supposed to be on emissions to protect the environment so really he's doing the best for the environment by running an old car if you look at the wider picture.    If he were to buy a new vehicle that was free road tax most people think they're heroes and saving the environment but look at how much pollution is caused by the manufacturing of such a "clean" vehicle and then the real truth is revealed. There is the factory running, the staff driving to the factory to produce the cars, the countless lorries and massive ships transporting all the various components and all of those factories to consider.     I think all of this taxation is more about getting people to buy newer vehicles and thus boosting the economy rather than actually trying to protect the environment.

The whole car tax thing is a scam, one minute they talk you into diesels saying that their overall emissions is better compared to most petrol cars (true enough) and then the next minute when they’re losing too much tax income they come up with new ways of talking us back into low powered gutless “clean” petrol cars. 

Just buy what you want/need car wise and within reason we just have to live with whatever tax it happens to attract. Two years ago we bought an ex demo 17 plate Mini Clubman 1.5 diesel auto, being in the trade and wise to these little tricks I made sure I bought one that is £20 to tax :) the exact same car registered a single month later would have been £160 ! That’s neasdammit £500 just for road tax running costs wise over 3 years, £20 doesn’t even register on your wallet. 

12 hours ago, team tractor said:

Mines £300  How’s that work 

1.3 autoTerios is £300

vw t6 140bhp £265

Ford Fiesta 1.6d is £20 

Automatic I think is higher CO2

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

The whole car tax thing is a scam, one minute they talk you into diesels saying that their overall emissions is better compared to most petrol cars (true enough) and then the next minute when they’re losing too much tax income they come up with new ways of talking us back into low powered gutless “clean” petrol cars. 

Just buy what you want/need car wise and within reason we just have to live with whatever tax it happens to attract. Two years ago we bought an ex demo 17 plate Mini Clubman 1.5 diesel auto, being in the trade and wise to these little tricks I made sure I bought one that is £20 to tax :) the exact same car registered a single month later would have been £160 ! That’s neasdammit £500 just for road tax running costs wise over 3 years, £20 doesn’t even register on your wallet. 

My mum got caught out with this £450 /500 thing for the first 3 years. 

Just payed £325 for my Suzuki Grand Vitara that I do about 2000 mile a year in bit my main car is a Ford Fiesta which is free. The whole system is madness but the government is not going to change it until all the old cars are off the road and the income drops