Twenty Bore Choke Gauge

CaptC

Having moved to the dark side and now using a 20 bore S/S it would be good to know what chokes are? I'm lucky enough to own two English S/S's one is an ejector which I use for driven game and the other is used for walked up days. I have no idea what the constriction(s) are in the muzzles in either gun and both guns are completely different.

If anyone wants a 12 bore choke gauge please PM me?

Many thanks

11 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Having moved to the dark side and now using a 20 bore S/S it would be good to know what chokes are? I'm lucky enough to own two English S/S's one is an ejector which I use for driven game and the other is used for walked up days. I have no idea what the constriction(s) are in the muzzles in either gun and both guns are completely different.

If anyone wants a 12 bore choke gauge please PM me?

Many thanks

Can you hit things with them? 

If you can, don't measure them, just carry on. Once you know you'll get the itch or think "I'd have hit that with a tighter / more open choke" :lol: 

Choke plug gauges don’t work for determining choke ! Choke is the difference between the actual bore diameter in each tube and the diameter in each corresponding tube at the muzzles!
For determining accurate measurements, you will need to use a micrometer internal bore gauge!

Thanks to London Best, panoma1 and Lloyd - you are absolutely right - I will leave the chokes unmeasured as it's the best solution! The ejector is "very tight" in the left barrel compared with the other gun. If one was to measure it I would say it was full choke.

Thanks again

9 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

what do u mean youve gone to the darkside,,,,,,dont u mean youve seen the light!

Almost! At my age I can hardly see the target!

The lightness and handling are a joy and even better if I connect with the quarry!

1 hour ago, CaptC said:

Almost! At my age I can hardly see the target!

The lightness and handling are a joy and even better if I connect with the quarry!

hello, i know what you mean Paul, i bought a pair of glasses that were for shooting and had the lenses for long sight vision with a yellow tint,

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i know what you mean Paul, i bought a pair of glasses that were for shooting and had the lenses for long sight vision with a yellow tint,

My right eye dominance seems to have moved to my left eye (I shoot right handed) Tried one of those Aim Point sights with no effect. Moved to a S/S and started connecting quite respectfully. No doubt it won't last!

10 minutes ago, CaptC said:

My right eye dominance seems to have moved to my left eye (I shoot right handed) Tried one of those Aim Point sights with no effect. Moved to a S/S and started connecting quite respectfully. No doubt it won't last!

Or was there too much drop in the previous gun?

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Or was there too much drop in the previous gun?

Too much port!

Seriously the gun (Browning 525 Elite) fitted well, I shot as good as the next man but it gradually went off the boil and got so bad it was a misery going out. Changed to the S/S and down they came. Having a nasty fall in November was the beginning of the end. 

1 minute ago, CaptC said:

Too much port!

Seriously the gun (Browning 525 Elite) fitted well, I shot as good as the next man but it gradually went off the boil and got so bad it was a misery going out. Changed to the S/S and down they came. Having a nasty fall in November was the beginning of the end. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the fall. When you get to a point in life such can be a bit of a blow. But there's always someone worse off. I have a 53 year old bottle with a good vintage that my son gave me for my 75th last year but my medication will not permit me to drink it. :oops:

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'm very sorry to hear about the fall. When you get to a point in life such can be a bit of a blow. But there's always someone worse off. I have a 53 year old bottle with a good vintage that my son gave me for my 75th last year but my medication will not permit me to drink it. :oops:

Would you like my address - a good home is assured!