The two nurses.

JDog

It would be hard to imagine two less likely nurses than this pair. Clodhopper is at least 6' 3'' and usually unshaven and Jacko is bald and bearded. However without them today I would not have ventured out.

The weather was against us with bright sunshine in our faces from the off at ten. There was no other obvious place to set up. However I did think that some of the several hundred pigeons we pushed off the field would return. Some did but in very large groups. The first hour and a half were quiet and we made an executive decision to pack up and move elsewhere. Actually Clodhopper made that decision for us. No sooner had we dismantled the hides pigeons came in when we were standing in the open and we reversed our decision to drive to another farm.

Confidence plays a big part in shooting. Clodhopper now shoots 7 1/2 shot cartridges and does well with them. Jacko is getting better at judging ranges and one good shot perks him up. 

Clodhopper left us part way through the session and Jacko continued to shoot a few including a couple of stormers and his first ever double.

I need a pee so I will have to end this post quickly. No doubt the others will fill in some missing pieces. We picked 35 pigeons and 1 Jackdaw.

.216901397_PicturesJan2.jpg.82ce2cc9325a11e12904a8d3aef9f151.jpg

Jack with the results of his first double.

179246538_PicturesJan1.jpg.7451eda4643b66dc738c41e817242d4c.jpg

Edited by JDog

The bed bath I was ok with but the suppository was a bit much.

JDog did indeed have a few shots and managed to put a few birds in the bag. It was nice to witness Jackos first left and right, the second of which was a lovely quartering bird at a good distance. 

It was not an ideal situation as the sun was in our faces for a couple of hours but this is where we needed to be to be on the line. After an hour or so of very little movement I thought that the birds had maybe decided to feed elsewhere. The block of rape we where on was 700 acres and we could not see half of it so they could easily have moved to another area out of sight. But hey what do I know, they line started back up again and there was a trickle of birds. I guess the birds had probably filled their crops earlier on and were now coming out for a second feed which they would be keen for as we were in for another freezing night. I left the Dog with Jacko at around 1.30pm as my wife was expecting me home at 1. Just as the second wave of birds were heading out of the woods to feed. I could hear them banging away as I walked back to my vehicle, I was in no way jealous at all🤥.

The best result was Mr JDog getting back in the countryside and making a comeback after feeling well below par , oh and not forgetting his carers who done a good job in getting him back on the field and looking after his needs .

After a very cold start it was a good day to be out in the fresh air and when we finished our game shoot at 4.30 it was still fairly light , still a fair bit of winter left , but we are now going in the right direction .

I was honoured to be invited  to shoot with jdog and it was a pleasure to meet clodhopper who I hope to shoot with again  ...the day started with me shooting like a muppet but once I got my first I did improve ... as a novice I did notice the best decoys in the field was three men stood talking or packing up...when me and jdog called an halt at around 245  I left my gun up against a tree just in case and one did come in, I moved to get my gun and turned around and killed it as it finally turned away from us ... as marsh man says good to get jdog out in the field after a 6/7week lay off and I will be happy to do it again anytime hopefully this is all a tonic to a healthy recovery 👍

And can I personally say thank you , you have succeeded where professional people have failed !!! You have instantly cured me of a nurse fetish I have had for many years ! Think it was the black stockings , ? Or the carry on films , ? Anyway that image is now gone !! 

The wife asked me if you could take two French maids next time , I’d be nearly normal !!! 

Great report of a well deserved day, its good to hear of JDog back out in the fields. You all had a better day than us, we did a lot of miles and found lots of tens and twenties on various crops. Nothing flighting and eventually found 120 on three adjacent rape fields set up and had three, I spent 11/2 hours looking for them as they had left the area. We gave up and went to roost and shot two!!!!!

During a conversation with Bunny_basher he had seen the field shot with two different cars parked in the gate. He managed sixty today so did very well.

49 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Great report of a well deserved day, its good to hear of JDog back out in the fields. You all had a better day than us, we did a lot of miles and found lots of tens and twenties on various crops. Nothing flighting and eventually found 120 on three adjacent rape fields set up and had three, I spent 11/2 hours looking for them as they had left the area. We gave up and went to roost and shot two!!!!!

During a conversation with Bunny_basher he had seen the field shot with two different cars parked in the gate. He managed sixty today so did very well.

I am fairly new to this but I don’t think I have ever seen so many pigeons in one area.. great days experience for me