New gun day 😁

Mice!

Yes it new gun day, new for me anyway. 

I decided I was treating myself last year to a new gun, the problem then is which gun do you go for?

And I decided to try a .177😮😮😮 I've read enough over the years about the different calibres but always had .22, never had a  problem but I've been tempted by all the talk of 40-50 yards and the flatter trajectory.

I nearly bought an AA400 before xmas,  beautiful thumbhole walnut stock, but I was told by several people don't get a 400 you'll wish you had got a 410, a few folk said just get the Rowan kit but at second hand prices I decided to wait.

I nearly bought an R10 over xmas,  it was a full length rifle in black pepper stock with a JB tune, I wasn't quite getting the answers I wanted, and I didn't offer enough £££ to get the rifle.

Then over xmas I tried @Mick C rifles, a 410 carbine and an R10 carbine, both in .177, really glad I didn't buy the 400, the pellets are tiny, can't imagine trying to load a pellet in a hurry with cold fingers. We were only shooting at 20-25 metres but nice to be able to try them out, the balance of the R10 was really nice, cheers Mick.

Decided a 410 was the way to go after reading about problems with the R10, then started looking at 510s, then US it's an absolute minefield. 

I was tempted by another 410 thumbhole walnut stock,  but despite the gun being a trade sale there was no warranty offered,  AA are great, I emailed the serial number asking for the age of the gun and had an answer within ten minutes, 16 years old so decided no.

Seems like all I've been doing is looking at the same adds, 400s not really selling 410s selling or coming up at the other end of the country same with 510s.

Then this week I saw an add for an R10 carbine plus full kit/ set up, knowing I'd liked Micks I did some digging,  read what the fella had been saying,  he'd had no issues with his gun and was only selling up because of health issues. I msgd Mick saying check this out, am I missing something?  He said snap his hand off. He answered my questions and we agreed to meet up today. 

Spent an hour trying the gun out at http://www.halifaxairgunclub.co.uk

You can just show up pay for an hour, ten metre lanes downstairs,  35 metres upstairs with spinners and various targets, a bloke downstairs was annoying,  shooting a pistol but my word was it loud.

So I now have an R10 carbine in .177, its been a glorious sunny day out but I was told we were going out😭😭 I'd hoped when I got home everyone would be out. 

So a new toy and I've not been able to do anything with it, and we're at a christening tomorrow!! I've taken one rubbish picture which will have to do for now, like a baby Rapid 🤭

20200118_182758.jpg.b7b7c612051bcfd738f703ac33e2ac61.jpg

I asked all the usual suspects for their advice.

@bruno22rf @Ultrastu @figgy

Cheers gents 👍

Lots of cleaning and playing to do now, and seeing where the pellets go. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, figgy said:

Don't even bother cleaning it. Get it off to John Bowkett for the full works.

Not yet, but the joy of second hand means if I do it won't stick in my throat. 

Need to try it out for a while then if I get it done I'll appreciate it 👍

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good move, excellent rifle. I have shot a friends and impressed .... almost as good as my AA S200

Look forward to seing lots of pictures of bushy tails hanging over it.

Magpies, they taunt me down the garden, I was hitting the spinners at 35mtrs today from rested, so once I've played about some there in for a surprise. 

9 minutes ago, pork chop said:

Decent guns 👍

Cheers, it helped loads I'd tried micks out, and I'm a walnut whore, it might o ly be appearance but I like it.

Well done mice .nice gun .

Thing is with those r10 s .

If you have a good one it will be bloody amazing .not just good but stunning .

The 12 inch barrels can some times prefer a heavier h+n  pellet .but plenty like jsbs .an exact 4.53  is a great place to start ..

Expect it to drill 20 mm holes at 45 yds wind free .

Walnut is good  .

Was using one this afternoon - guy bought it new and it was good for 6 months but then starting messing around - Air Fective serviced it and all was well but the owner was never 100% in love with it - someone suggested a Bowkett fettle so he paid the pennies and has been over the moon since - I was putting 10/10 inside the 8 ring at 50 yards and I'm not a good shot!!

33 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Bsa are cracking rifkes the barrels are great

Certainly hoping so.

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Well done mice .nice gun .

Thing is with those r10 s .

If you have a good one it will be bloody amazing .not just good but stunning .

The 12 inch barrels can some times prefer a heavier h+n  pellet .but plenty like jsbs .an exact 4.53  is a great place to start ..

Expect it to drill 20 mm holes at 45 yds wind free .

Walnut is good  .

Cheers stu, guns is 6 years old,  fella hasn't had any problems and had all the seals done last year and came with a right assortment of pellets to try. I know the reg can have issues but hopefully this wasn't made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. 

21 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Was using one this afternoon - guy bought it new and it was good for 6 months but then starting messing around - Air Fective serviced it and all was well but the owner was never 100% in love with it - someone suggested a Bowkett fettle so he paid the pennies and has been over the moon since - I was putting 10/10 inside the 8 ring at 50 yards and I'm not a good shot!!

Quite a few folk have said the same mate, mick had his straight off to xtx after buying his. Folk suggest buying one as cheap as possible and just send it JB straight away, after that a great gun guaranteed.

Seriously Mate welcome to the BSA club you won't regret it....try some JSB heavies mate thats what my old girl likes or Biz Mags or Barracuda Match ( same as Biz Mags ). Give the barrel a pull thru then start testing and get rid of that **** BSA reg get a Huma off Darrin at XTX if he still does them, and the pellet probe may start flaking its Nickel coating so a Stainless probe again from XTX is worth thinking about.....cheers

P.S bet you don't need those shooting sticks i made for you now :P

Mick 

The pellet probes that flake were just a bad batch from a few years ago..most earlier and later have been fine  My scorp is spot on .think it was a 2013 gun .

As for the reg  if it was gonna go tats up it would have done years ago  .

Leave it where it is kev .the old " if its not broke dont fix it "very much applies to pcps  

25 minutes ago, mick.c said:

Seriously Mate welcome to the BSA club you won't regret it....try some JSB heavies mate thats what my old girl likes or Biz Mags or Barracuda Match ( same as Biz Mags ). Give the barrel a pull thru then start testing and get rid of that **** BSA reg get a Huma off Darrin at XTX if he still does them, and the pellet probe may start flaking its Nickel coating so a Stainless probe again from XTX is worth thinking about.....cheers

P.S bet you don't need those shooting sticks i made for you now :P

Mick 

I've actually now had more BSAs than anything else,  supersport years(lots) ago, meteor in the cabinet needing tlc and now the R10. 

Are you saying the sticks you've made aren't as good as primos trigger sticks?

Pull through kit came with all the other bits and pieces so I'll be using it tomorrow.

I wont be changing anything for a bit, otherwise the misses might just knife me, she's still not said much 🤔🤔

I'm going to tell her that you spent £1000 on it then she will get the knife out .....don't forget sleep on the sofa tonight mate as i've had a few beers and i'll have a loose tongue later :shout:

Well mate if you want to swap the trigger sticks for the one's i made you i won't complain 

Mick 

21 minutes ago, mick.c said:

I'm going to tell her that you spent £1000 on it then she will get the knife out .....don't forget sleep on the sofa tonight mate as i've had a few beers and i'll have a loose tongue later 

Well mate if you want to swap the trigger sticks for the one's i made you i won't complain 

Mick 

Who needs friends 🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Mice leave the pull through where it is, shoot it first. 

Only clean the barrel if accuracy goes off.

Really? You wouldn't give it a clean and start fresh?

Not on a BSA, when I had mine I leaded it in and never cleaned it once. If out and it got wet a little oil on a bit of tissue fired down it was all.it needed.

The BSA barrels are very accurate if leaded in well. The lead becomes self cleaning as it only gets to a level.

It's your choice, but it may take hundreds of pellets to get it back to best. How would you know what's the best pellet if it's off its game after a clean.

6 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve an bsa s10 sitting in my cabinet in .22 that I’ve shot 3 times in 5 years. My mate passed away and his son/wife gave me it as a memory. We shot hundreds of rooks together with it :) . Maybe I should get it serviced properly and the bottle /cylinder tested and start using it . It’s old now tho

Old can still be gold, you should give it some air every few months. 

7 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve an bsa s10 sitting in my cabinet in .22 that I’ve shot 3 times in 5 years. My mate passed away and his son/wife gave me it as a memory. We shot hundreds of rooks together with it  . Maybe I should get it serviced properly and the bottle /cylinder tested and start using it . It’s old now tho

Get it done and used, remember your mate when you do.  Think if it was me I'd be talking to him as if he was there while out shooting with it.