Mice!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

Get it done and used, remember your mate when you do.ย  Think if it was me I'd be talking to him as if he was there while out shooting with it.

I use his jacket and I swear heโ€™s laughing at me as I miss everything everytime I wear it honestly.

id planned on using it at the club where we met but several others have gone/died and itโ€™s just to upsetting there.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Old can still be gold, you should give it some air every few months.ย 

I might get it out this week. I havenโ€™t shot it since I went with my daughter on the rats . Funny enough she also hates me and I havenโ€™t seen her in 8 months .

14 for youย 

Edited by team tractor

38 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Mice! - oddly enough I said exactly the same thing to my Mrs this very morning.

Filthy ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

8 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I use his jacket and I swear heโ€™s laughing at me as I miss everything everytime I wear it honestly.

id planned on using it at the club where we met but several others have gone/died and itโ€™s just to upsetting there.

I might get it out this week. I havenโ€™t shot it since I went with my daughter on the rats . Funny enough she also hates me and I havenโ€™t seen her in 8 months .

14 for youย 

Not much I can say to that mate, hopefully she'll come around.ย 

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Filthy ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Filthy ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I doubt it but time will tell. Iโ€™ve got 3 others to shoot with ๐Ÿ˜€

Managed a quick plink this afternoon,ย  problem being the kids wanted to watch, little lad doesn't get why he cant lean on you while your trying to shoot, daughter was spotting with the binoculars.ย 

I was using the bipod, not quite 100% comfortable,ย  need to move the scope and look at the trigger but I wanted to have a play.ย 

20200119_170754.jpg.24316cb0463747d5dfe32573aabcc849.jpg

Only used JSB 8.44.

Bring on the weekendย 

What cart did you shoot that with 28 gram of BB. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I tried resting on some step ladders, squatting, ended up wobbling around a fair bit but got the trajectory drop I needed.

I used to shoot bismags and the Bisley fields years ago in my BSA. The old wasps were ok for cheap ones. The best I found were the crossmans. Not sure if any good noe, they were expensive back then.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

What cart did you shoot that with 28 gram of BB. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I tried resting on some step ladders, squatting, ended up wobbling around a fair bit but got the trajectory drop I needed.

I used to shoot bismags and the Bisley fields years ago in my BSA. The old wasps were ok for cheap ones. The best I found were the crossmans. Not sure if any good noe, they were expensive back then.

I know, I filled the air cylinder then started,ย  23.5mtrs and they were hitting well high, adjusted the scope and got the two shots in the 4 ring, right side,ย  then all high again.ย 

Made some more adjustments and things started going where I wanted,ย  kids didn't help but what you gonna do, they'll be in school friday, I'll be in the garage๐Ÿ˜

On 19/01/2020 at 23:52, bruno22rf said:

Aha - got you fibbing Mice! - David Nickerson shot that target - he's even signed it. Cant get one over on me.

So as to avoid accusations of fraud today's shooting was at blank paper using a red bingo daber and a drill/ bar sizer, worked a treat.

Started from scratch as if the rifle was new, scope off, stock off everything wiped down and set back up to suit me.

I've very kindly had pellets sent to me this week from @Ttfjlcย and @B725ย and another chap off the Facebook squirrel group thank you very much fellas.

As I said I started from scratch shooting at the crazy distance of 10 meters ๐Ÿ˜ฎ bipid off, nice and comfortable no distractions or excuses.ย 

Started with Jsb exacts in 4.52, two tubs so why not, couple of adjustments then pretty much one hole, then AADF again 4.52 not quite as tight but I wasn't taking my time enough but I was smiling๐Ÿ˜

Thanks to Ttfjlc I had a range of head sizes to try out, using the single shot loader I started with 4.5 H+N FT two shots touching, H+N barracuda 4.5, 3 shots one hole, Daystate Sovereign 4.5, 3 shots one hole.

Funny thing was the 4.5 were hitting low left but the DS didn't?

Weihrauch Magnus 4.51 two shots one hole, low left.

JSB heavies 4.52 possibly two different sizes shot at twice 5 or 6 pellets.ย 

JSB exacts 4.53 three shots one hole.

I would say the 4.52 & 4.53 grouped better but then everything did really,ย  the smaller head sizes going low left?? Just need to adjust if that ends up the pellet choice, seems the barrel isn't fussy.

Tomorrow I'll double the distance and chrono some pellets,ย  I can get to 25 meters easily in the garden, possibly 35, depending on shooting position and backstop.

20200124_160320.jpg.762fc7dd768f6e7d350dca5275cabea4.jpg

Topped the air up, packed up till tomorrow and I'm still smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Nice to see your getting under way with pellet testing. The 4.53 jsb look promising and in centre.ย 

When I test loads of pellets I don't start off going for pellet on pellet takes too long and too much concentration. I just want to see rough groups at 20-25 meters. Then weed out the rubbish. Then start seeing just how accurate a five or ten shot group is, ignoring me pulling a shot. Pick the best ones and push the distance out to around 50m.ย 

Bis mags are made by h&nย 

Edited by figgy

So a pellet that groups really well at 30 yds can be horrid at 50 .and equally a pellet that is just ย ok at 30 yds (say 15 - ย 20 mm ) can still be around 20 mm at 50 yds which is preferable (imo) to a ย pellet that doesย 8 mm at 30 but 35 mm at 50 yds ย .

Some times a barrel can over spin (stablize )a pellet and be awesome at 30 yds but that fast spin can start to work against you at longer (+50 ) yards .

Fx barrels are for long range shooting .so in my experience ย they can easily be bettered group wise at even 50 yds by my bsa barrels. But spank the bsa s at 75 yds plus ย .

ย 

Edited by Ultrastu

34 minutes ago, figgy said:

Nice to see your getting under way with pellet testing. The 4.53 jsb look promising and in centre.ย 

When I test loads of pellets I don't start off going for pellet on pellet takes too long and too much concentration. I just want to see rough groups at 20-25 meters. Then weed out the rubbish. Then start seeing just how accurate a five or ten shot group is, ignoring me pulling a shot. Pick the best ones and push the distance out to around 50m.ย 

Bis mags are made by h&nย 

Yeah I'll do that tomorrow, see how things look at 20 & 25 meters, see how things start to open up.ย 

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So what im sayingย is you need to test a pellet at 20 30 40 and 50 yds and judge the best from that .

If your gonna only shoot 25 yd bench rest .then by all means get the best pellet at 25 yds, it probably won't be the same one as 50 yds ย 

Yeah I know what you mean stu, I was just seeing how things were and starting at ten, things felt much better having moved the scope and not using the bipod.

Ultrastu, I'd agree with most of what you say, with pellets at different ranges.

If I get the right pellet it's good at all ranges but superb at long range.ย 

If I find a pellet is poor at close range I find they get even worse the further out the range.

Ok let me give u some actual examples .

A brocock compatto a couple of years ago .would shoot exacts and bismags at 30 yds into a 10mm group . (Excellent ) but at 50 couldnt hold a 35 mm group .

Why ?i dont know for sure , but it couldย have been due toย over stabilising ย .ie the barrel twist rate was too fast . (As we know that those pellets can easilyย shoot a 15ย mm group at 50 yds )ย 

Next .a pellet called rangemaster he .from daystate ย (made by pax back in the day - now h+n snipers )ย 

Have a very high bc (for cal and weight - 8.5 grn ) i had a bsa ultra single that loved these .it would shoot them at 30 yds around 15ย ย mm groupย ย (which is ok ) but at 50 yds would shoot a 20mm group and land much higher on a card than any other pellet and hit with much more energy .i could also shoot them accurately enough ย out to 70 yds .

These were gret for hunting but for hft where we get 15 mm kill zones at 25yds theย precision wasnt good enough .

Flat head pellets canย be ย  amazing at 25 yds .and literally terrible at 35 .ย 

I wont go on but you get the point ย .