New gun day 😁

Mice!

42 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Haha very true haha made me chuckle. Just ordered myself some H&N Baracuda FT 4.51mm has anyone tried them? Just for a test as my ultra se and bantam love baracuda match 4.52mm

I wasnt sure if they may hold the accuracy but be a faster projectile compared

All sizes seemed to be going fine in my rifle,  but now its working properly again I can start the testing process again,  and chrono what seems most accurate. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes i have some bara ft.

At 9.5 grns they a touch lighter .

They shoot well enough through a few of my bsas ..

But for the guns that prefer jsb exact .these still are the best .flying faster with a higher bc and grouping better .

That said they are still a pretty good pellet 

I bought a used AA 400 and wish I’d gone for the 410 the problem with me I’ve got no patience and couldn’t wait for a 410 to come up for sale 
Can’t fault the accuracy of the 400 but would prefer a magazine as opposed to single shot 

Enjoy your new gun bud 👍

3 hours ago, rayo said:

I bought a used AA 400 and wish I’d gone for the 410 the problem with me I’ve got no patience and couldn’t wait for a 410 to come up for sale 
Can’t fault the accuracy of the 400 but would prefer a magazine as opposed to single shot 

Enjoy your new gun bud 👍

Cheers, I nearly did what you did, I saw a couple of nice 400s with lovely walnut thumbhole stocks but I was advised by several guys not to get the 400, fantastic guns but I'd wish I bought the 410, luckily I didn't get my hands on them, the temptation would have been too much I'm sure.

On 18/01/2020 at 18:41, Mice! said:

Yes it new gun day, new for me anyway. 

I decided I was treating myself last year to a new gun, the problem then is which gun do you go for?

And I decided to try a .177😮😮😮 I've read enough over the years about the different calibres but always had .22, never had a  problem but I've been tempted by all the talk of 40-50 yards and the flatter trajectory.

I nearly bought an AA400 before xmas,  beautiful thumbhole walnut stock, but I was told by several people don't get a 400 you'll wish you had got a 410, a few folk said just get the Rowan kit but at second hand prices I decided to wait.

I nearly bought an R10 over xmas,  it was a full length rifle in black pepper stock with a JB tune, I wasn't quite getting the answers I wanted, and I didn't offer enough £££ to get the rifle.

Then over xmas I tried @Mick C rifles, a 410 carbine and an R10 carbine, both in .177, really glad I didn't buy the 400, the pellets are tiny, can't imagine trying to load a pellet in a hurry with cold fingers. We were only shooting at 20-25 metres but nice to be able to try them out, the balance of the R10 was really nice, cheers Mick.

Decided a 410 was the way to go after reading about problems with the R10, then started looking at 510s, then US it's an absolute minefield. 

I was tempted by another 410 thumbhole walnut stock,  but despite the gun being a trade sale there was no warranty offered,  AA are great, I emailed the serial number asking for the age of the gun and had an answer within ten minutes, 16 years old so decided no.

Seems like all I've been doing is looking at the same adds, 400s not really selling 410s selling or coming up at the other end of the country same with 510s.

Then this week I saw an add for an R10 carbine plus full kit/ set up, knowing I'd liked Micks I did some digging,  read what the fella had been saying,  he'd had no issues with his gun and was only selling up because of health issues. I msgd Mick saying check this out, am I missing something?  He said snap his hand off. He answered my questions and we agreed to meet up today. 

Spent an hour trying the gun out at http://www.halifaxairgunclub.co.uk

You can just show up pay for an hour, ten metre lanes downstairs,  35 metres upstairs with spinners and various targets, a bloke downstairs was annoying,  shooting a pistol but my word was it loud.

So I now have an R10 carbine in .177, its been a glorious sunny day out but I was told we were going out😭😭 I'd hoped when I got home everyone would be out. 

So a new toy and I've not been able to do anything with it, and we're at a christening tomorrow!! I've taken one rubbish picture which will have to do for now, like a baby Rapid 🤭

20200118_182758.jpg.b7b7c612051bcfd738f703ac33e2ac61.jpg

I asked all the usual suspects for their advice.

@bruno22rf @Ultrastu @figgy

Cheers gents 👍

Lots of cleaning and playing to do now, and seeing where the pellets go. 

Hope you are glad u bought tht rifle very nice kit there m8 did u look at the 510 ultimate sporter regulated tried one at the shooting show and its a very nice bit of kit also the r10 se carbine very nice looking gun all the best

FroDe

1 hour ago, FroDe said:

Hope you are glad u bought tht rifle very nice kit there m8 did u look at the 510 ultimate sporter regulated tried one at the shooting show and its a very nice bit of kit also the r10 se carbine very nice looking gun all the best

FroDe

Hi fella, the US was out of my budget, I decided to buy a .177 but within a certain price in case I didn't like the caliber. What are you shooting with?

20200308_181907.jpg.bf053c011a920faf92d81ca8d736a52f.jpg

This made me smile today, spent yesterday high up in some trees taking some big stuff out and today having a tidy in the garage with the kids, got to half 4 and I said right everyone inside so I can have a shoot in piece, locked the patio door from outside and put out the target, started at 25m again scope on 8 mag, no problems, I stopped at 5 shots because I didn't want to spoil it, had I pulled number 6 I would have been very unhappy. 

Moved my paving slab and target back to 30mtrs and did a mag, 3 or 4 good shots but 4 or 5 spreading a little,  on 8 mag the cross hairs pretty much cover the bull, I know people say 6 mag is plenty but even at 10 mag with it being a thicker reticle it didn't feel as comfortable as shooting at 25 was.

I did another 2 mags of JSB and AA, same results couple of nice groups but with a few shots spread around, but from 20 -30mtrs all pretty flat which is nice.

Packed up for tea and then the heavens opened,  happy days 😁

Im not shooting atm i sold my rifles because of MH prob a while back wish i hadnt because i would like to go out in the field again but i will be shortly in the market for a airrifle but unfortunately wont have anywhere to use it as gave it all up back then just have to keep plodding along 

as for your pellets that stray a little might be down to the weight of the pellets get urself some pellet scales off ebay £10 or so to weigh the pellets in the tin once u get urself 10 pellets of the same weight try those at a target all in the prep work for better shooting thanks for your reply 

FroDe 👍

30 minutes ago, FroDe said:

of the pellets get urself some pellet scales off ebay £10 or so to weigh the pellets in the tin once u get urself 10 pellets of the same weight try those at a target all in the prep work for better shooting thanks for your reply 

Could be pellet weight, but I'm sure it was me, little bit of movement and the pellets are away. 

I'll be on pellet perfect this week ordering samples.

Lol always check ur kit and conditions before you blame urself pal u want to put on here a new topic to see if there are any other airgunners willing to trade a handful of pellets some of urs for theres cheapest option mate cost you a fortune buying full tins hope all goes well bud 

👍

15 minutes ago, FroDe said:

Lol always check ur kit and conditions before you blame urself pal u want to put on here a new topic to see if there are any other airgunners willing to trade a handful of pellets some of urs for theres cheapest option mate cost you a fortune buying full tins hope all goes well bud 

👍

The pellet perfect site sends you 25 of each pellet you want, and I've had pellets sent from other lads on here, some good lads on here.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a measure in the week and found I can get 40mtrs in the garden, if it's nice weather. That's further than I normally shoot with the .22 so thought I'd have a go, wasn't great, it was ok but it doesn't take much of a movement to send them wide.

Back to 30mtrs the other day for a few mags,  tried a few different pellets and today had an hour and a half trying some more pellets at 25mtrs, seemed to prefer the 4.52 pellets today, any make were grouping while 4.51 and 4.53 just wouldn't group,  they weren't bad but the 4.52 were noticeably better. 

So next time out I'll concentrate on the 4.52, probably 😉

Fickle things, puffguns - after months of shooting Remmy Thunder (rebadged Field Target Trophy) like a laser my Cat has decided she no longer likes the taste of them and spits them out like a spoiled child - devours Superdomes now even though they are so tight I've been tempted to tap em in with a Toffee Hammer. 

I watched a video on adjusting the trigger, easy enough. The first stage is really long and the second too heavy.

So stock off this morning two grub screw to adjust , first didn't do a thing and the second I adjusted too much so the Sears didn't engage,  back a touch ok, still feels a little heavy. 

Hopefully getting the trigger better will improve the accuracy. 

• 2 months later...

About time for an update, after my squirrel escaped Friday I thought it best to check a few things, I awoke this morning to the sound of silence! Everyone at school🤪🤪

New batteries in the chrono so I can check a few pellets, now I'm being deliberately vague for now, let's have a spot the difference and spot the mistake. 

20200601_202541.jpg.9e9fe4091d3d2b717ad578ad871d2be1.jpg20200601_202514.jpg.3d2ad6914b8a52eb14cf0098d64cf4ce.jpg20200601_202453.jpg.2077868100303b4521b52513b728c650.jpg20200601_202433.jpg.d369a1f55218c80a6d368dcba10da707.jpg20200601_202416.jpg.985912de4dfc407b6bb5fc1aae9bcf09.jpg20200601_202354.jpg.f462c03c969fd94167b6189880f8d6ae.jpg

I checked the AA exacts,  JSB heavies and H&N extremes,  quick shot of 5 pellets at 25mtrs whilst recording the fps etc, I was really surprised at how low the AA were and happy with the other two,  so just because the heavies were a touch closer I then did the plate above, I wasn't looking for brilliant accuracy just seeing what the pellets did at each distance,  so kneeling and leaning on a garden chair I slowly, while hurrying up did a couple of pellets at each distance,  the ones which I've crossed out I know I pulled so pretty much point and shoot from 10 to 30mtrs. 

Half an hour or 40mins well spent. 

Everything is smooth, slight twang on firing,  and trigger might go a little lighter but I'm a happy bunny.

Bring on the squirrels. 

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I do like that r10 mice very good .

How do you get on with the simmons ?

Cheers Stu, @Mick C refinished his then asked if I wanted mine doing,  it would have been rude to say no. Mick, post some pics of yours, now his looks nice.

The balance is nice that's for sure, trigger could still do with some tweaks, I've left the Simmons on for now because it feels nice, short, light scope, nice clear picture but I do miss the mil dots, I might go ffp, the cross hairs are a bit thick for pellet testing as on 8/9/10 they block out the hole, but it's a great no messing scope, bit more zoom for me would make it great.