Thank-you BASC

Si.F

From reading a lot of threads on this forum, BASC seem to get a lot of slating and derision. But I believe credit needs to given when due.

My young lad, was able to partake in a days introduction for wild-fowling yesterday organised by BASC and supported by the local wild-fowling clubs. Being a totally new experience for him (and me), the whole day was a huge learning curve which he thoroughly enjoyed. A small amount of time learning about legislation, bird recognition range finding and conservation. Followed by a late afternoon on the marshes close to Wells, where I was lucky enough to tag along.

The wild-fowlers giving up their time to mentor the youngsters on a one-to one basis on the marsh was fantastic, explaining how to safely navigate the marsh and creeks, settling in and waiting and listening to birds calls. A few of the youngsters were able to get a few shots off with one bringing down a mallard. But the whole afternoon was a huge lesson in patience, respect for the wildlife and environment. A few other opportunities nearly arose but being just of range or a protected species meant no "wild" shots were taken for the sake of getting as many birds as possible. It is amazing the knowledge these local wild-fowlers have.

Even though my boy didn't take any shots he had a truly memorable day, especially coming off the marsh and through creeks after dark!  with a huge desire to go again.

41 minutes ago, Si.F said:

From reading a lot of threads on this forum, BASC seem to get a lot of slating and derision. But I believe credit needs to given when due.

My young lad, was able to partake in a days introduction for wild-fowling yesterday organised by BASC and supported by the local wild-fowling clubs. Being a totally new experience for him (and me), the whole day was a huge learning curve which he thoroughly enjoyed. A small amount of time learning about legislation, bird recognition range finding and conservation. Followed by a late afternoon on the marshes close to Wells, where I was lucky enough to tag along.

The wild-fowlers giving up their time to mentor the youngsters on a one-to one basis on the marsh was fantastic, explaining how to safely navigate the marsh and creeks, settling in and waiting and listening to birds calls. A few of the youngsters were able to get a few shots off with one bringing down a mallard. But the whole afternoon was a huge lesson in patience, respect for the wildlife and environment. A few other opportunities nearly arose but being just of range or a protected species meant no "wild" shots were taken for the sake of getting as many birds as possible. It is amazing the knowledge these local wild-fowlers have.

Even though my boy didn't take any shots he had a truly memorable day, especially coming off the marsh and through creeks after dark!  with a huge desire to go again.

What a great day and a sensible introduction to fowling !

21 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

BASC have helped me on more than one occasion to remove ridiculous conditions that were imposed on my licence. Plus, plenty of advice, either by telephone or email.

Me too BASC a god send without them we are screwed. You will always get haters, let them hate i say. But Real world shooting issues BASC do a sterling job and for what we pay, nothing else gets even close on value for money support when you take their experience into account and what they do elsewhere, largely unseen and unnoticed. Wildfowling consents advice etc. its endless. A good organisation BASC.

On 19/01/2020 at 10:56, Si.F said:

Plenty of good clubs in the county to join. I would suggest the Blackwater Wildfowler's Association.

https://www.blackwaterwildfowlers.org.uk/

I am delighted you and your lad had a great time.

There are many clubs around the UK that offer permit schemes if you want to try wildfowling and many of these will also be looking for new members and will have a mentoring scheme. Here is a link to the guide that lists the clubs on the permit scheme: https://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/wildfowling-permit-scheme/

David

And this is why I work with BASC to put days like this on. @Si.F sounds like he had a great day and will remember it for years to come. If I run the young shots day next year just outside Bristol, I will put it up on here, keep an eye out, this year we did game prep followed by a pheasant shoot, then an evenings flight. Gives the youngsters a feel for all aspects, respecting the quarry, safety, identification. And they get to be out in the countryside all day doing something they will grow to love

11 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

And this is why I work with BASC to put days like this on. @Si.F sounds like he had a great day and will remember it for years to come. If I run the young shots day next year just outside Bristol, I will put it up on here, keep an eye out, this year we did game prep followed by a pheasant shoot, then an evenings flight. Gives the youngsters a feel for all aspects, respecting the quarry, safety, identification. And they get to be out in the countryside all day doing something they will grow to love

ShootingEgg I do truly admire the effort people out in, in their own time because they want to pass on skills, knowledge and for the joy of the sport. If you do put on a day, you will certainly have 1 space filled!