Cartridge question if I may gents

I guess for every shooter that wants the cheapest and best bargain .there is one who must have the best most expensive cart .

If a manufacturer  can make a load of carts basically the same (cheaper for them that way ) and just change a few small things like colour of the case and printing on the box they can charge different amounts and achieve sales from both groups of shooters , why alienate one side when you can get sales from both .

Edited by Ultrastu

19 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I guess for every shooter that wants the cheapest and best bargain .there is one who must have the best most expensive cart .

If a manufacturer  can make a load of carts basically the same (cheaper for them that way ) and just change a few small things like colour of the case and printing on the box they can charge different amounts and achieve sales from both groups of shooters , why alienate one side when you can get sales from both .

I do hope so as that will keep the price down on some that we use.

19 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all, me again and thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions.

I ended up with these as an all rounder at £66 a slab

https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/products/game-cartridges/pigeon-high-velocity

I was tempted with the Zenith ( but TIGHTCHOKE words above "Be very careful believing what manufacturers put on their boxes" ) rattled around by head when the price was announced at £94

Again thank you and hope you have all had a good season!!

Well that's about £16  more than I like to pay.

When I pull the trigger and a bird falls out the sky dead, the cheaper the cart that happened with the bigger the smile on my face.

Shows me that cheap carts kill well and do as they should. 

If your paying thousands for a days shooting a few quid more on the so called best carts is neither here nor there.

Thats true .

But i shoot loads of pigeons on the wing at 30 yds with only 16 grm of no6  .

So given that , do we need 32 grm to bring a pigeon down .? yes it will probably extend your range to 45 yds but what about 28 grm  -42 yds ? 

That 3 yds really isnt much and if it comes at a price and extra recoil noise etc .is it worth it  ? 

Not to me  

I guess in the simplest terms is if you’re shooting within your range capabilities, as in judging it, and within the range of your cartridge , you put the shot in the right spot they will drop regardless of which one you bought 

I know many shooters who will buy the cheapest cartridges available at the time , clays or pigeons 

couple I know just use 28/7s for everything 

some are brand loyal and use only one or two carts for clay /game 

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats true .

But i shoot loads of pigeons on the wing at 30 yds with only 16 grm of no6  .

So given that , do we need 32 grm to bring a pigeon down .? yes it will probably extend your range to 45 yds but what about 28 grm  -42 yds ? 

That 3 yds really isnt much and if it comes at a price and extra recoil noise etc .is it worth it  ? 

Not to me  

You could try 9g of 8s for your 30 yards.

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

Thanks Lancer, I was really scratching my head with that.

No. 9 shot weighs .75 grain per pellet, so on average I must have put 4 pellets in each crow!

:lol:

Funny things shotguns: 580 x .5 = 290

78 x 4 = 312

On 19/01/2020 at 14:35, Farmboy91 said:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take an Oz of 6's if I was going foxing, but they cover most eventualities. 

It's ridiculous now, but as they say, a fool and he's money are easily parted, while people will buy into the cartridge companies marketing, they'll keep pushing those ridiculous loads and fancy packaging.

Agreed, although I have killed a number of foxes with that load.

On 19/01/2020 at 14:35, London Best said:

I have killed several geese over the years with an oz of no.6, when that is what happened to be in the barrel when a goose appeared. 
I am not saying it would be my first choice for geese, but it will always work with a headshot.

Same goes for foxes.

Likewise, both, Canadas and Greylags when it was legal.