One choice ?

islandgun

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presume we are talking shotguns, but if i were to pick one rifle .2506rem .in a typical sportster weight rifle.

So shotgun.  It is going to be dependent on what you do.

Im my case that is wildfowl Fox rabbit Crow pigeon partridge and then other game in roughly that order of regularity and preference.

I think i need a 3 inch magnum, a double long barreled 32 inch and light, not fused on choke (i reload) but full or close to full would be good, i supose half in one barrel might be acceptable, but if i had a choice FULL.   It will be side by side keep weight down and ease of loading and unloading / reduced gape in mud etc, Got to be side by side.

Trigger. Double trigger no selector to sieze or wear and i can instantly pick the other cartridge or if gun had say half and full i can pick what choke i want instantly.

Sling swivels make it easier in mud and i do not want an ejector, this makes it more practical in pigeon hides or busy duck sessions, but non ejector is less to go wrong get all the cases for a second load, and it help keep the place tidy with one less job to do when packing up.

Steel bismuth or tss gives you a broad spectrum of use in the humble 3 inch 12s non tox range. and 1 7/8th or 2 oz bb to AAA lead has the fox covered at range. in the full barrels, so obviously on pigeons etc it can handle 1 oz etc, not even the remotest chance of a siezed inertia trigger reset   cycling re cocking issues as on some O/Us in bad conditions, (being picky here i know).

So 12ga 3 inch magnum, 32 inch non ejector. , the AYA no 3 above is good advice.

58 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Presume we are talking shotguns, but if i were to pick one rifle .2506rem .in a typical sportster weight rifle.

So shotgun.  It is going to be dependent on what you do.

Im my case that is wildfowl Fox rabbit Crow pigeon partridge and then other game in roughly that order of regularity and preference.

I think i need a 3 inch magnum, a double long barreled 32 inch and light, not fused on choke (i reload) but full or close to full would be good, i supose half in one barrel might be acceptable, but if i had a choice FULL.   It will be side by side keep weight down and ease of loading and unloading / reduced gape in mud etc, Got to be side by side.

Trigger. Double trigger no selector to sieze or wear and i can instantly pick the other cartridge or if gun had say half and full i can pick what choke i want instantly.

Sling swivels make it easier in mud and i do not want an ejector, this makes it more practical in pigeon hides or busy duck sessions, but non ejector is less to go wrong get all the cases for a second load, and it help keep the place tidy with one less job to do when packing up.

Steel bismuth or tss gives you a broad spectrum of use in the humble 3 inch 12s non tox range. and 1 7/8th or 2 oz bb to AAA lead has the fox covered at range. in the full barrels, so obviously on pigeons etc it can handle 1 oz etc, not even the remotest chance of a siezed inertia trigger reset   cycling re cocking issues as on some O/Us in bad conditions, (being picky here i know).

So 12ga 3 inch magnum, 32 inch non ejector. , the AYA no 3 above is good advice.

The AYA super solway model fits that description. There was one up on Guntrader with 2 sets of barrels one the original 32 inch the other shorter, I think 30 inch with more open chokes. I was tempted but happy with my number 3, it has 28 inch barrels 3inch Chambers and balances as if a far lighter gun. 

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

this is gun in the cabinet or has been in your cabinet 
So 

Probably a 425 browning special waterfowl 3.1/2 inch magnum proof fire anything through it 
Or 

B23909C9-1C18-4074-B1FD-BD0AB764286C.png

I have a 425 vwaterfowl, 3.5 inch, and it is a gun i will probably die owning, it is versatile. But with O/Us you have more gape , and loading unloading is not a one hand on both cartridges, job, like the SxS guns, which have less gape too.

Loading an over and under in the confines of a hide or tight hole in a hedge, is never neat and tidy. The top barrel cartridge can slip out on an open breach, the SxS when its partially shut is both safe and ammo is sliding out no where.

Alowing you to close the gun without juggling cartridges into the breach .

Longer barrel in my opinion helps too in hides as the muzzle is slightly above a typical low hide net compared to a 26 inch thats into the netting, Your opinion might be different but its how i find longer barrels in use.

Waterfowl is heavier than a SxS magnum too, may not be an issue to some peoples requirements but what i do and how i do it, as a one gun the SxS has it over the O/U. On ergonomics of use and lighter weight generaly.

This would be my own choice 32 inch 3 inch mag Sxs.

DSC_0215.JPG

Edited by lancer425

7 hours ago, Konor said:

The AYA super solway model fits that description. There was one up on Guntrader with 2 sets of barrels one the original 32 inch the other shorter, I think 30 inch with more open chokes. I was tempted but happy with my number 3, it has 28 inch barrels 3inch Chambers and balances as if a far lighter gun. 

Ideal the  supper solway , the 32 inch aspect i favour in an SxS magnum, but thats just my choice. not everyone is the same  in what they like.

1 minute ago, flippermaj said:

RC are the only ones I know who do a 70mm 36grm steel load, any one know of others?

I had some bonaghi ammo once that was about that 35/36 gram, was ok ammo but never found any after that one time. Reloadings best option, with a little set back you might squese a good load in a sam 1 RSI wad in a 70mm case, or trim a B7P35 down to keep the RTO fold off the wad lip, or use a less bulky powder like M92S or a ball powder of some kind HS6 perhaps. Or vectan SP2.  Use a CCI209M or federal 209A or G 1000 rio with the ball powder if use it in bad cold IMO. .

26 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Difficult question but if we take coastal wildfowling out of the equation it has to be my Charles Lancaster SxS 3” chambers and 30” Damascus barrels

Ah,  just the one for all persuasions,  but the Lancaster does have 3" chambers

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

this is gun in the cabinet or has been in your cabinet 
So 

Probably a 425 browning special waterfowl 3.1/2 inch magnum proof fire anything through it 
Or 

B23909C9-1C18-4074-B1FD-BD0AB764286C.png

Wouldn't the sxs do at a pinch ?

Interesting to see so many opting for heavier 3" chambers ! as "the" gun

I'm with you on this one Islandgun. My 20g Macnab Highlander is my 'go to' gun and handles like a dream. That Patrick Keen knew was he was doing when he got B.Rizzini to make them. Pity they're not still produced. The nearest is the B.Rizzini Aurum at more than double the price and without the solid top rib.

For those in the 'side by side' club, I still like to use one of my side by sides, especially in my favoured 16g.

OB

11 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I have a 425 vwaterfowl, 3.5 inch, and it is a gun i will probably die owning, it is versatile. But with O/Us you have more gape , and loading unloading is not a one hand on both cartridges, job, like the SxS guns, which have less gape too.

Loading an over and under in the confines of a hide or tight hole in a hedge, is never neat and tidy. The top barrel cartridge can slip out on an open breach, the SxS when its partially shut is both safe and ammo is sliding out no where.

Alowing you to close the gun without juggling cartridges into the breach .

Longer barrel in my opinion helps too in hides as the muzzle is slightly above a typical low hide net compared to a 26 inch thats into the netting, Your opinion might be different but its how i find longer barrels in use.

Waterfowl is heavier than a SxS magnum too, may not be an issue to some peoples requirements but what i do and how i do it, as a one gun the SxS has it over the O/U. On ergonomics of use and lighter weight generaly.

This would be my own choice 32 inch 3 inch mag Sxs.

DSC_0215.JPG

But I haven’t got a ss magnum or it would be on my list 

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

I seem to have managed to shoot geese over the years without a magnum.

I’m sure you have however times change and affordable non toxic comes in a bigger case with recommendation that guns should be proofed to a higher pressure 

back in the day I shot them with a 4.10 because that’s all I had 

11 hours ago, islandgun said:

Ah,  just the one for all persuasions,  but the Lancaster does have 3" chambers

Wouldn't the sxs do at a pinch ?

Interesting to see so many opting for heavier 3" chambers ! as "the" gun

This will absolutely do the job on the shore and I took the chokes down to 1/2 so it will take steel. Only reason I don’t use it on the shore is the salt would wreck the finish over time

CD341B78-0050-457A-8372-CB0E16D13E16.jpeg

C569E3A8-7441-4C26-98CC-5680219567CE.jpeg

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

But I haven’t got a ss magnum or it would be on my list 

You do not need a 3 inch for geese of shotgunning foxes, You can use anything you have literally anything from a .410 upwards.

But you have to then start using TSS etc, or reducing ranges.

Reason i think so many on here had opted for a Side by side 3 inch mag  as one gun, it will do a reasonable job with any shot type, and at typical ranges.

And do all this without resorting to HW shot.

If all you have is a 2 3/4 gun then just use it, it will kill geese and will do everything else pigeon/game etc better than a hefty 3 inch mag will.

In my first post on this subject, i said its use specific and fits in with what I DO.  Not many shotgun foxes routinely despite having several rifles, i chose to do this, an with regards Geese, i do not shoot geese Inland, and if i do its near or over rivers wetlands i do not shoot them over fields. Forshore shooting , can be on the raggy edge of range, and 36 gram of steel just about covers most peoples requirements, and you wont have to let as many slip by as you might with a 20ga or the mentioned 2 3/4 gun.

But Swaping to bismuth or other heavier shot, puts the small bores and normal 12s well back in the game. So its not anything set in stone just my and clearly some others personal preference.

I mean lets face it if all you ever shoot is shoreline geese, one gun might be a *ga or a 4ga or ten bore. Its what you do and how you go about doing it, and these days more than ever what shot type you are opting for.

HW shot types if you use it to put a small bore in the game at more typical 12ga etc uses is a real option now for sub ga users.

To use it to try and extend ranges, is of course technically possible but its a little more involved.

50 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

This will absolutely do the job on the shore and I took the chokes down to 1/2 so it will take steel. Only reason I don’t use it on the shore is the salt would wreck the finish over time

CD341B78-0050-457A-8372-CB0E16D13E16.jpeg

C569E3A8-7441-4C26-98CC-5680219567CE.jpeg

Very nice.. interesting to see you will use steel, I have a 3 " T Wild 1/4- 3/4 but havnt considered Steel just use Bismuth. Im rapidly coming to the conclusion though, that the gun is there to be used while i still can !

10 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

You do not need a 3 inch for geese of shotgunning foxes, You can use anything you have literally anything from a .410 upwards.

But you have to then start using TSS etc, or reducing ranges.

Reason i think so many on here had opted for a Side by side 3 inch mag  as one gun, it will do a reasonable job with any shot type, and at typical ranges.

And do all this without resorting to HW shot.

If all you have is a 2 3/4 gun then just use it, it will kill geese and will do everything else pigeon/game etc better than a hefty 3 inch mag will.

In my first post on this subject, i said its use specific and fits in with what I DO.  Not many shotgun foxes routinely despite having several rifles, i chose to do this, an with regards Geese, i do not shoot geese Inland, and if i do its near or over rivers wetlands i do not shoot them over fields. Forshore shooting , can be on the raggy edge of range, and 36 gram of steel just about covers most peoples requirements, and you wont have to let as many slip by as you might with a 20ga or the mentioned 2 3/4 gun.

But Swaping to bismuth or other heavier shot, puts the small bores and normal 12s well back in the game. So its not anything set in stone just my and clearly some others personal preference.

I mean lets face it if all you ever shoot is shoreline geese, one gun might be a *ga or a 4ga or ten bore. Its what you do and how you go about doing it, and these days more than ever what shot type you are opting for.

HW shot types if you use it to put a small bore in the game at more typical 12ga etc uses is a real option now for sub ga users.

To use it to try and extend ranges, is of course technically possible but its a little more involved.

:good: