One choice ?

islandgun

21 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Very nice.. interesting to see you will use steel, I have a 3 " T Wild 1/4- 3/4 but havnt considered Steel just use Bismuth. Im rapidly coming to the conclusion though, that the gun is there to be used while i still can !

:good:

Not used steel in it yet as have plenty of TM/bismuth and don’t need this for the shore. Speaking to the trade there is a lot of development work ongoing on steel loads for traditional English guns. Over the next few years I do believe we will see safe steel loads and wads developed and wonder what all the fuss is about. I am very happy with it in my dedicated wildfowling guns so am looking forward to seeing how it goes for game.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

You do not need a 3 inch for geese of shotgunning foxes, You can use anything you have literally anything from a .410 upwards.

But you have to then start using TSS etc, or reducing ranges.

Reason i think so many on here had opted for a Side by side 3 inch mag  as one gun, it will do a reasonable job with any shot type, and at typical ranges.

And do all this without resorting to HW shot.

If all you have is a 2 3/4 gun then just use it, it will kill geese and will do everything else pigeon/game etc better than a hefty 3 inch mag will.

In my first post on this subject, i said its use specific and fits in with what I DO.  Not many shotgun foxes routinely despite having several rifles, i chose to do this, an with regards Geese, i do not shoot geese Inland, and if i do its near or over rivers wetlands i do not shoot them over fields. Forshore shooting , can be on the raggy edge of range, and 36 gram of steel just about covers most peoples requirements, and you wont have to let as many slip by as you might with a 20ga or the mentioned 2 3/4 gun.

But Swaping to bismuth or other heavier shot, puts the small bores and normal 12s well back in the game. So its not anything set in stone just my and clearly some others personal preference.

I mean lets face it if all you ever shoot is shoreline geese, one gun might be a *ga or a 4ga or ten bore. Its what you do and how you go about doing it, and these days more than ever what shot type you are opting for.

HW shot types if you use it to put a small bore in the game at more typical 12ga etc uses is a real option now for sub ga users.

To use it to try and extend ranges, is of course technically possible but its a little more involved.

I know and now I’m beginning to think you’re thinking I’m a bit of a idiot
as said in original post

a gun that you own or owned chose one I chose the waterfowl first as it’ll do anything and everything 

second choice is my ss it’s not pleasing to shoot with heavy loads 

I have plenty to choose from and pick the one for the day and the quarry I’m pursuing 

along with the appropriate cartridge I use plenty of tss in the small bores (home loaded) and the big bores as well 

each gun has a purpose and you will rarely get one perfect for every quarry  

35 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I know and now I’m beginning to think you’re thinking I’m a bit of a idiot
as said in original post

a gun that you own or owned chose one I chose the waterfowl first as it’ll do anything and everything 

second choice is my ss it’s not pleasing to shoot with heavy loads 

I have plenty to choose from and pick the one for the day and the quarry I’m pursuing 

along with the appropriate cartridge I use plenty of tss in the small bores (home loaded) and the big bores as well 

each gun has a purpose and you will rarely get one perfect for every quarry  

I can understand why you would go with the 425 waterfowl, i have had one over 15 years now, i am a Browning / miroku fan in every respect. But O/Us are not as ergonomic to operate as a SxS. In my opinion. the opened breach angled loading aspect means to load two cartridges its more fumbly with cold hands, SxS its straight in less gape, thus less drop on muzle. and even with the 32 inch barrels less chance of a mud plugging issue than the wide gape and muzzle drop on the 425.

I get the heavy loads in lighter game gun issue and if all i had was a 425 waterfowl and a my webley 700 or side lock. i would too pick the waterfowl. every time.

This subject was always going to boil down to compromise or personal thoughts and requirements, what you can accept and what aspects you wont accept, like weight/ mass recoil or felt recoil, etc. Nothing beats a good fitting gun including felt recoil, but mass is an absorber and with bigger loads a little more heft in both gun construction equating to more weight is not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Edited by lancer425

41 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I can understand why you would go with the 425 waterfowl, i have had one over 15 years now, i am a Browning / miroku fan in every respect. But O/Us are not as ergonomic to operate as a SxS. In my opinion. the opened breach angled loading aspect means to load two cartridges its more fumbly with cold hands, SxS its straight in less gape, thus less drop on muzle. and even with the 32 inch barrels less chance of a mud plugging issue than the wide gape and muzzle drop on the 425.

I get the heavy loads in lighter game gun issue and if all i had was a 425 waterfowl and a my webley 700 or side lock. i would too pick the waterfowl. every time.

This subject was always going to boil down to compromise or personal thoughts and requirements, what you can accept and what aspects you wont accept, like weight/ mass recoil or felt recoil, etc. Nothing beats a good fitting gun including felt recoil, but mass is an absorber and with bigger loads a little more heft in both gun construction equating to more weight is not necessarily a bad thing at all.

only 15 years 😂
Which is exactly why I have more than one gun 

I never put my webley into the equation as I prefer the sidelock 

with this thread in mind I’m off out to buy a new gun 

27 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

only 15 years 😂
Which is exactly why I have more than one gun 

I never put my webley into the equation as I prefer the sidelock 

with this thread in mind I’m off out to buy a new gun 

To be honest, i think of you pick up a nice old AYA no 3 or the supper solway, you wont go far from the one gun ideal. but again thats how i feel about the options everything taken into account. The 3 inch Sxs was not the choice of so many fowlers for so long for no good reason. And giving them credit they still hold up pretty good in the modern world of steel and other shot type ammo.

13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

To be honest, i think of you pick up a nice old AYA no 3 or the supper solway, you wont go far from the one gun ideal. but again thats how i feel about the options everything taken into account. The 3 inch Sxs was not the choice of so many fowlers for so long for no good reason. And giving them credit they still hold up pretty good in the modern world of steel and other shot type ammo.

You seem to be putting your own ideas based on the type of shooting you do And your ability

when you’re picking a gun for me 

16 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

You seem to be putting your own ideas based on the type of shooting you do And your ability

when you’re picking a gun for me 

That is what ISLANDGUN wanted. And i have no idea what you need so go on my own requirements as i outlined clearly on my first post on this thread.

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

Stop being a tease, what are you going to get.....

Manuarm .410 bolt on 18weight shot. 😁.

15 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Stop being a tease, what are you going to get.....

Probably a ss with two sets of barrels 32 full choke and 28 1/2 choke 

16 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

That is what ISLANDGUN wanted. And i have no idea what you need so go on my own requirements as i outlined clearly on my first post on this thread.

Manuarm .410 bolt on 18weight shot. 😁.

Well your requirement isn’t mine 

I don’t need a bolt action 4.10 I have a very nice 3 inch magnum proof one already ☹️

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Probably a ss with two sets of barrels 32 full choke and 28 1/2 choke 

That sounds like a plan..:good: not sure it qualifies with two barrels..😉

19 minutes ago, bishopp1 said:

Cz 452 silhouette Ely subs. Mice to moose. Silently. Allegedly. Cheap to buy and feed ludicrously accurate within sensible ranges. Easy to shoot highly. underrated. Probably the best pheasant gun of all time. 👼

Is that walked up or driven..😉

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Well it goes on the ticket as one gun 🤔

anyway you’re post so your rules does it or doesn’t it 😂😉

3" chamber and two barrels !  sounds like a sensible compromise..😄... mind you, couldn't you have 30" barrels and multi choke ?

If you had to choose just one gun from your ownership past or present which one would it be and why,

I am fortunate in that I have a reasonable selection in my cabinet - built up and refined over 44 years collecting.  The selection ranges from 'best' English s/s through sidelock o/u's and hammer guns, a Darne to an original 1810 muzzle loader.

It may seem strange, but my usual 'go to' which I guess should be THE ONE is an AyA No 1 from circa 1977.

Why?  Well, I shoot well (for me anyway) with it, it is easy to get fixed when it does have problems, and can cope with 2 3/4" cartridges.  It is far from being the 'highest value', oldest, or even having the greates sentimental value ......... but it is the one I tend to use more than any other.

Truth is that they all mean something to me, are all 'nice of their type', and I enjoy them all.

I took my mate to Chris Potter yesterday as he was ready to make a purchase, but needed advice, Duncan must have spent 3 hours with us, had about 9 guns out, any adjustments to comb and trigger made to get it in the ballpark, with a £3k budget. Settled on the a used Browning 725 prosport 30", I have to say it did feel like a really nice gun. Duncan had the patience of a saint lol. He was the same when he assisted me getting my Perazzi. I think it's worth going to spend time with a company like this.

23 minutes ago, retromlc said:

I took my mate to Chris Potter yesterday as he was ready to make a purchase, but needed advice, Duncan must have spent 3 hours with us, had about 9 guns out, any adjustments to comb and trigger made to get it in the ballpark, with a £3k budget. Settled on the a used Browning 725 prosport 30", I have to say it did feel like a really nice gun. Duncan had the patience of a saint lol. He was the same when he assisted me getting my Perazzi. I think it's worth going to spend time with a company like this.

You get what you pay for.

Chris has always run a good shop.

23 hours ago, bishopp1 said:

Cz 452 silhouette Ely subs. Mice to moose. Silently. Allegedly. Cheap to buy and feed ludicrously accurate within sensible ranges. Easy to shoot highly. underrated. Probably the best pheasant gun of all time. 👼

Almost the same but I think either my 17 HMR or my 17 Remington ...... probably the 17 Rem because I can reload that.   Seriously accurate round and a smack in the ear on almost anyhting I need to fill the freezer will do the job. Saw a 16 point park red go down like it was pole azed and it hardly twitched, hit with a 25gr 17 out of a 17 Rem at about 10yrds at the base of the ear.

Yep final decison 17 Remington and my present T/C Encore 16 1/2 inch barrel model will do nicely thankyou.