Before the internet

WalkedUp

Just sorting out and charity shopping all of our old clutter from storage. I remember getting these books new out when I was a young lad, 1990s. There wasn’t really the Internet as we know it now, any I didn’t know anyone else who shot so these were all I had to learn from. 25 years later they are still a good read! 

5BA6293E-50B8-4893-AD7A-12BB7CBCB64E.jpeg

34D10BD8-E2E5-4406-881F-6AD3C021271A.jpeg

Yes, think I will put them in the ‘keep’ pile and put a shelf up in the gunroom. Reminds me of starting out when I would decoy woodies with an old army net a few dead birds and be content if I got a single shot!

Bately’s ‘Modern’ was still before electronics had been introduced into our sport 😂

Edited by WalkedUp

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

look at the cover on the pigeon shooting one....................elm tree.... blackthorn hedges.... church and steeple in the background ....and freshly drilled land ...quitisencially englash/british scene

Yep, and look at the size of his horseshoe pattern, remember him giving demos at the game fairs, he always built his hide in a V shape, did he live in Herefordshire?

Remember before Instagram when you had to physically take a photo around your friends and acquaintances and ask them if they liked it and then record it in a big ledger so you knew how many likes you had! Also Nigerian Royals would have to write to you to ask if you would be able to help them shift $100,000,000 in exchange for keeping a small percentage! Different times

back in the day you had to know and research and understand what you had learnt  to write a book to inform others  and educate             today you don't have to know jack **** to be on Facebook / social media to try and influence others thought process                  people would read books / newspapers for information and with a thirst for knowledge          now Facebook /social media to become more stupid  by the day as believe everything they see  as gospel              common sense is now well and truly  in the archives    sadly 

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

What was the name of a series of ‘How too’ play different sports type books?

From my childhood memory they were half height and not exactly thick either.

Just remember my Father having a few including Squash and Shooting- read that one many many times.

"Ladybird books"........?

'about the same time readers digest always did a section "I am johns lung" ...or "i am johns left leg"............i learnt all my medical skills reading those sitting on the toilet ..

Edited by ditchman

23 hours ago, mossy835 said:

i had that book the pigeon shooter, good book is john batley still alive, and pigeon shooting,he was very good.

I knew John Batley around 25 years ago when he lived near Painswick with his family. My youngest was school pals with his child. At the time he was having a cottage conversion done out at Much Markle and we helped them move house. There were several extra bedrooms in the house as he was planning to host pigeon shooting weekends. I don't know if it worked out as we didn't stay in touch, but years later I learned he was chairman of the Gun Trade Association and AFAIK he still is.

30 minutes ago, Westward said:

I knew John Batley around 25 years ago when he lived near Painswick with his family. My youngest was school pals with his child. At the time he was having a cottage conversion done out at Much Markle and we helped them move house. There were several extra bedrooms in the house as he was planning to host pigeon shooting weekends. I don't know if it worked out as we didn't stay in touch, but years later I learned he was chairman of the Gun Trade Association and AFAIK he still is.

I think he gave up that in 2018. Now it’s Oscar Waktare I think.

OB