Pricked Duck

Royboy

Just had a strange one, I picked up on a pond last night and Couldn’t find one mallard so decided to go back today for another look in the daylight, 

got to pond the duck was there on the pond, I sent my dog in so the duck flew to the other side of the pond then started walking up the banking. My dog caught up with it but when he fetched it back the duck was dead ??

Well I thought maybe it was another Duck but this was still warm, still tasted good in a stir fry ! 
if I miss a pricked bird I always have another look next day 👍

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Not saying your dog is hard mouthed but would he / she had nipped a vital organ if the duck was flapping to get away when your dog was in hot pursuit ?

Is possible maybe ?

As above do a butchering job. NECROPSY is proper name i think. Anyway, find out why it died where / if it was hit. i am with marsh mans theory myself any dog on the coursing down a pricked bird grabs hard even if just initial contact, but it can end it right at that point. At least you got it that’s the main thing.