Pigeon shooting @ gun's on pegs

B725

Yup, saw it, moved on. I don't mind paying for sport but don't shoot game cos I can't afford it, so 1000 for pigeons, naw, it's a wind up.

It seems popular at the moment to pay for pigeon shooting, but you mention it and everyone poo poos it.

If you can't get permissions, then maybe it's a way forward for the average Joe. As long as those running it have public liability insurance and are running a professional outfit I see no reason why not. But 1000, nooooo, I can get a game day for that, possibly two. 

I remember enquiring on the BASC stand at the shooting show when it was in Stoneleigh if they could recommend me someone to take me out for a days pigeon shooting as there is very little down my way anyway the BASC rep offered to take me as he had prime shooting around the midlands, fantastic I thought before I asked how much, for him to set me up with all the decoys, hide etc £400 for a day, I thanked him for his time and walked away.

Edited by blackbird

Don’t agree with overpriced paid for pigeon shooting personally, but then I’ve been lucky enough to have land to shoot over ever since I was old enough to go with the old man.
Can see why people will pay, it’s an easy option, but it’s the bane of any pigeon shooters life once a guide starts trying to buy all the shooting around you! 
Not so much lately but in the past had numerous good days we’ve had lined up ruined by a ‘guide’ turning up with his band of foreign shooters. 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thames valley pigeon shooting charge £85  a day with own gear, take a non shooting friend another £50, guided day £185, perhaps i should start charging ???

If it wasn't so far I'd happily pay you to tag along as I just cant get permissions here for love nor money.

Most that have perms here jealously guard them and I cant blame them as they've had them for years, probably dads and grandads before them. They work damm hard to keep them and the farmers happy. They presume wrongly that we're looking to take them from them. Personally I'd just like the odd day if I could. I'd pay for that privilege. 

In my group of regular shooting friends we have zero perms and zero chance unless it's dead man's shoes. However, we still try. Most beat and or pick up, even help out occasionally with jobs.

My son has been lucky in that we have friends and family in Scotland with perms and he shoots on holidays but that's about it for pigeon.

Edited by Centrepin

4 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Don’t agree with overpriced paid for pigeon shooting personally, but then I’ve been lucky enough to have land to shoot over ever since I was old enough to go with the old man.
Can see why people will pay, it’s an easy option, but it’s the bane of any pigeon shooters life once a guide starts trying to buy all the shooting around you! 
Not so much lately but in the past had numerous good days we’ve had lined up ruined by a ‘guide’ turning up with his band of foreign shooters. 

Unfortunately there are some paid guides that couldn't guide you across a road. These are the ones that are trying it on and pinching perms off the hard working shooters and trying to make a fast buck before moving on.

Paying someone who has an established perm for an odd day on your own or with a friend is different. You've put in the work beforehand, in most cases it's your decoys, your hides, your knowledge we pay for.

If I had a perm, I would be wary that the person I took with me for money would let me down. I'd certainly check licences, insurance and even that the cartridges are acceptable. 

It must be a difficult decision for those with perms to decide if covering the costs of a day or couple of days is worth it. Let's face it, it'll never make you rich and take a donkey with you and you could loose your perm.

So I readily understand, two sides of the coin.

Edited by Centrepin

We profess to needing the GL for livestock and crop protection, so I wonder how this looks from WJ point of view, £1000 per day could be seen as exploiting a wild bird for fun and profit in the name of crop protection, think how that could be portrayed on social media, especially when its paying foreign guns.   

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

We profess to needing the GL for livestock and crop protection, so I wonder how this looks from WJ point of view, £1000 per day could be seen as exploiting a wild bird for fun and profit in the name of crop protection, think how that could be portrayed on social media, especially when its paying foreign guns.   

£1000 is greed and pure profit, i just cant imagine anyone taking it seriously. On the other side, taking £50 is hardly covering the cost of your own cartridges. Either way the antis will always be antis.

guides are a curse on shooting they give the antis nothing but ammunition anyone can get permission i had to give up thousands of acres for illness two years ago in a fresh area through blood sweat and tears i started again now have nine farms up to 1500 acres there is no excuse for failing to get permissions when a old duffer like me can get them 

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thames valley pigeon shooting charge £85  a day with own gear, take a non shooting friend another £50, guided day £185, perhaps i should start charging

Can you send me some more details please.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

guides are a curse on shooting they give the antis nothing but ammunition anyone can get permission i had to give up thousands of acres for illness two years ago in a fresh area through blood sweat and tears i started again now have nine farms up to 1500 acres there is no excuse for failing to get permissions when a old duffer like me can get them 

Why don't I work to get my own permission? I live In South London, have a youngish family, ill aged relatives and work quite long hours. When I'm not doing that I'm a Scout Leader and manage to fit a bit of shooting in round the edges. Back in Yorkshire I could get all the pest control I could deal with in a few phone calls.

I grew up rough shooting and would like my 15 year old son to enjoy the countryside in the way I was brought up to. Living in London is a ******

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

Can you send me some more details please.

Why don't I work to get my own permission? I live In South London, have a youngish family, ill aged relatives and work quite long hours. When I'm not doing that I'm a Scout Leader and manage to fit a bit of shooting in round the edges. Back in Yorkshire I could get all the pest control I could deal with in a few phone calls.

I grew up rough shooting and would like my 15 year old son to enjoy the countryside in the way I was brought up to. Living in London is a ******

hello, just google thames valley pigeon shooting to get his web site