Live shoot over training?

ilovemyheckler

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to see if there are any woodland or walks /not too far/ from a shoot around you. Somewhere remote with few passerby- I've found a big piece of woodland about 1/2m from a shoot that is fantastic to train, and there are the odd birds in there (I would say 1 to 3 birds in an hour walk) and lot of interesting smells, but it's NOWHERE near as exciting as being "on a shoot". I get her to walk, quarter under directions and yes sometimes she'll flush one out -- and it's rare enough that you have all the time to control the dog, do a bit of steadiness etc etc...

Just an idea, I realise it's not on everyone's doorstep.

1 hour ago, buze said:

You might want to see if there are any woodland or walks /not too far/ from a shoot around you. Somewhere remote with few passerby- I've found a big piece of woodland about 1/2m from a shoot that is fantastic to train, and there are the odd birds in there (I would say 1 to 3 birds in an hour walk) and lot of interesting smells, but it's NOWHERE near as exciting as being "on a shoot". I get her to walk, quarter under directions and yes sometimes she'll flush one out -- and it's rare enough that you have all the time to control the dog, do a bit of steadiness etc etc...

Just an idea, I realise it's not on everyone's doorstep.

I have found a nice similar woodland near me, unfortunately there's no birds 😞 but often has deer through it so at least there is some scent to get his nose down and going a bit. 

Sadly, what we both want is somewhere you can get the flush, the shot and the retrieve. Especially if you want to compete / trial with a dog. You really do need to get it shot over regularly. 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I have found a nice similar woodland near me, unfortunately there's no birds 😞 but often has deer through it so at least there is some scent to get his nose down and going a bit. 

Sadly, what we both want is somewhere you can get the flush, the shot and the retrieve. Especially if you want to compete / trial with a dog. You really do need to get it shot over regularly. 

Have you tried walking down there a few times with a game bag full of corn and scatter feeding for a few weeks? And maybe a drinker ? 

proberably won’t help if a lot of dog walking in the cops 

at worst you’ll attract the little birds 

Good idea but you still need written permission from the landowner to use a starting pistol.

A few years ago I had my car broken into and my game bag containing my dog training equipment was stolen (I guess the thieves thought it was handbag) and to get my insurance company to pay out I had to get a crime number from the police.

When I called the police and got the crime number they asked what was in the stolen bag and I listed everything including a starting pistol.

A few days later I got a call from the police to say that an Inspector and another officer would like to visit me. I thought that they had recovered the items but was told that as I had a starting pistol and was parked on highway I had breached firearms law and they wanted to discuss "the next steps" at my house at 8:00pm the following Friday evening. Staring pistols do come under firearms law unlike dummy launchers.

As I had been training on my then employers land and her husband was a lawyer he wrote to the police to explain that I had their permission etc etc.

The police didn't come round and I never heard another thing but I was worried that being a victim of crime could have resulted in me being prosecuted and possibly losing my shotgun certificate

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Have you tried walking down there a few times with a game bag full of corn and scatter feeding for a few weeks? And maybe a drinker ? 

proberably won’t help if a lot of dog walking in the cops 

at worst you’ll attract the little birds 

No I haven't tried that, think I might give it a go. There's not many dog walkers, however there is one house that often let's their flat coat run through there, I think it is their daily walk. 

Mine is right near the city however I really doubt there's any game birds. Be even "flushing" any time of little bird is a good show.

I don't need to worry about drinker's, the ground is all so wet at the moment there is water everywhere.

I am going to try and find out who owns it. It's on my summer to do list. 

Edited by Lloyd90

You've more chance of winning the euromillions than you have of getting quality rabbiting, it's closely guarded & prized. There's no coincidence that grouse keepers have FTCH spaniels living with them FOC.

There are options though. I know you can get rabbit days on Castle Bolton in Wensleydale, I think you contact the Estate office direct. I also know of someone doing rabbit sessions on the North York moors, I could get a contact detail if required.

• 3 weeks later...

I see ur from ne Scotland, loads off rabbits up there. Be loads of shot over days up there. Do u not know any spaniel trainers up there

I know 1 trainer travelling 3hrs each way heading up there 2 days a week for rabbit days, but pretty sure he's fully booked up. Usually finishes about now till sept time anyway.