1917 film

oowee

I went to see this film last night that with all the rave reviews and single screen shot cinematograhy it sounded unmissable. How wrong can the critics be? The whole thing lacked credibility or realism from the start.

The incredulity started, for me, early on at the moment a general asks the corproal if he is 'good with maps' . To which he answers 'yes ok' to be then immediately despatched behind enemy lines on a mission so imprortant that two men are sent on the task. :no:

A scene where our hero falls into a raging river has to be seen to be laughed at. The charecters were just extra's in the directors wet dream of single shot sequences. Not a patch on Saving Private Ryan.

Edited by oowee

how disapointing...............i was expecting that film to be a real eye opener....the is so much material there and so much knowledge so it is a shame they have to make stuff up....

i think one of the most stunning films i have seen ...not really a film but a documentary is what was commisioned by the royal war musemn....which is digitally enhanced and colour old footage from that time...coupled with the use of a deaf and dumb lip reader....it was done by that director of the lord of the rings ...forgot his name...

I watched it and have to agree on some things. Still harrowing to watch the scenes where they go.over the top.knowingbit was like that.

The rapids are near where I live, the Tees barrage.

Saving private Ryan was a game changer in war film effects, using amputees fitted with prosthetic limbs to blow up.

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

how disapointing...............i was expecting that film to be a real eye opener....the is so much material there and so much knowledge so it is a shame they have to make stuff up....

i think one of the most stunning films i have seen ...not really a film but a documentary is what was commisioned by the royal war musemn....which is digitally enhanced and colour old footage from that time...coupled with the use of a deaf and dumb lip reader....it was done by that director of the lord of the rings ...forgot his name...

Was that Peter Jackson’s film/documentary of the First World War? If so, it was difficult to imagine it was footage from over a hundred years ago!

44 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Was that Peter Jackson’s film/documentary of the First World War? If so, it was difficult to imagine it was footage from over a hundred years ago!

yeah thats it.............jackson took the making of it very seriously as he had a personal family connection to that time 

"A scene where our hero falls into a raging river has to be seen to be laughed at."

The guy who sits beside me here used to do a lot of kayaking down white water rivers. He said it's the most realistic representation

of being in a river like that he's ever seen. 

46 minutes ago, discobob said:

it was alright - only just though!!

Suffered with the magic gun syndrome of Hollywood - rifle was loaded before going over the top, and was never reloaded again - despite firing several shots within seconds at the German Sniper

The infantry carried the bolt action short magazine Lee-Enfield and the standard issue clip held 5 rounds. I'm not a rifle man but I believe it could also take a 10 round clip.

29 minutes ago, Westward said:

The infantry carried the bolt action short magazine Lee-Enfield and the standard issue clip held 5 rounds. I'm not a rifle man but I believe it could also take a 10 round clip.

It was definitely a 5 round clip that was loaded (used to use them when I was in the Air Cadets) - wasn't it the US version that took the 10 round?? or if it was in use in the Army, it was limited.

1 hour ago, Nial said:

"A scene where our hero falls into a raging river has to be seen to be laughed at."

The guy who sits beside me here used to do a lot of kayaking down white water rivers. He said it's the most realistic representation

Most of the white water scenes were filmed at the Tees Barrage a top kayaking venue. Repeatability for filming.

It's been in the local rags. Link https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/1917-did-film-tees-barrage-17544659

One thing I noticed was all the bayonets were the American made blade not the ones I used in the royal engineers cadets. We he the pig stickers, like round prong off a garden fork, not a nice looking blade.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, Nial said:

:lol: Then he will know how hard it is to hit a rock with a cushion wave. They are still the rock of choice for cartwheels because of their benign nature. 

Of course there are kayakers and kayakers many will never see a spate river close up.  Sounds like the guy sitting next to you has spent too long playing in the bath. 

On 19/01/2020 at 23:04, oowee said:

I went to see this film last night that with all the rave reviews and single screen shot cinematograhy it sounded unmissable. How wrong can the critics be? The whole thing lacked credibility or realism from the start.

The incredulity started, for me, early on at the moment a general asks the corproal if he is 'good with maps' . To which he answers 'yes ok' to be then immediately despatched behind enemy lines on a mission so imprortant that two men are sent on the task. 

A scene where our hero falls into a raging river has to be seen to be laughed at. The charecters were just extra's in the directors wet dream of single shot sequences. Not a patch on Saving Private Ryan.

Just watched your trailer - looks like a lot of contrived rubbish. A bit like Dunkirk. 

No. the best war 'movie'  was Spielberg's Band of Brothers. Nothing else comes close.

I was really looking forward to watching this film, but sadly it didn't live up to the hype.

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

No. the best war 'movie'  was Spielberg's Band of Brothers. Nothing else comes close.

I thought 'Hacksaw Ridge' was very good. It was based on real events, and the person who it was based on really was a hero in the true sense of the word.

8 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Just watched your trailer - looks like a lot of contrived rubbish. A bit like Dunkirk. 

It is just as well we all have different  taste , or it would be a very boring  old world we live in .

4 hours ago, Cheshirelad said:

I was really looking forward to watching this film, but sadly it didn't live up to the hype.

I thought 'Hacksaw Ridge' was very good. It was based on real events, and the person who it was based on really was a hero in the true sense of the word.

Agreed but i don't know how you could beat saving private Ryan its a jaw dropping  film.

On 21/01/2020 at 19:15, Remimax said:

Agreed but i don't know how you could beat saving private Ryan its a jaw dropping  film.

Band of Brothers is it's equal.

I am currently watching 'The Pacific' as I type this.

Both Speilberg/Hanks productions.

Edited by Penelope