1917 film

oowee

Watched it last Tuesday with the family. Lowered my expectations based on what I'd read here and to be honest I thought it was a decent enough film but not a classic. 

The thing that moved me the most was the solo song sang in the woods - I was flabbergasted to find it's not part of the official soundtrack.

The best version I've found since is by Narrow Way, play it regularly and can't get it out of my head as I can identify with it in so many ways - that song (Poor Wayfaring Stranger) will be the lasting memory I have of this film.

We all have expectations of war films after Saving Private Ryan set the bar so high.

Any modern film has big boots to fill, this one was a decent enough watch but you could pick holes allover in it.

Better to go thinking it's not that good and being pleasantly surprised than being disappointed.

Edited by figgy

8 hours ago, figgy said:

We all have expectations of war films after Saving Private Ryan set the bar so high.

Any modern film has big boots to fill, this one was a decent enough watch but you could pick holes allover in it.

Better to go thinking it's not that good and being pleasantly surprised than being disappointed.

agreed

Edited by Raja Clavata
spelling

I'm damned if i know what film you boys saw, but the one i saw was fairly flippin' good to be honest with you. Admittedly you didn't see him reload (equally you never saw him defecate or urinate either, but i guess you take those for granted), so i counted and he never shot more than 5 times in a row - That's his magazine capacity as shown when they first went over.

The river scene was pretty good and the general cinematography was really well shot and looked great on the big screen and the pace of the film was excellent. The actors were well cast with George Mackay very believable and Cumberbatch was very good at the end.

Edited by Fatcatsplat

9 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I'm damned if i know what film you boys saw, but the one i saw was fairly flippin' good to be honest with you. Admittedly you didn't see him reload (equally you never saw him defecate or urinate either, but i guess you take those for granted), so i counted and he never shot more than 5 times in a row - That's his magazine capacity as shown when they first went over.

The river scene was pretty good and the general cinematography was really well shot and looked great on the big screen and the pace of the film was excellent. The actors were well cast with George Mackay very believable and Cumberbatch was very good at the end.

Smle had a ten round capacity anyhow

On 20 January 2020 at 15:00, figgy said:

Most of the white water scenes were filmed at the Tees Barrage a top kayaking venue. Repeatability for filming.

It's been in the local rags. Link https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/1917-did-film-tees-barrage-17544659

One thing I noticed was all the bayonets were the American made blade not the ones I used in the royal engineers cadets. We he the pig stickers, like round prong off a garden fork, not a nice looking blade.

WW1 bayonets were (I'm pretty sure) 1907 models ie the "blade" ones. Pig stickers WW2! 

11 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Well I normally nod off at the cinema and I'm pretty sure I didn't with this one, so that's a bonus, but at the end I was bit like "oh ok, is that it then!?".