Bercow nominated for a peerage

JohnfromUK

Speakers are 'traditionally' elevated to the peerage on retirement by the leader of the party to which they belonged before being elected Speaker.  However, Speakers are also traditionally non party political and neutral.

Bercow gave up neutrality over Brexit - and so Johnson has not proposed him for a peerage.

It seems that now Comrade Corbyn has stepped in and proposed Bercow. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7904117/Jeremy-Corbyn-nominates-John-Bercow-peerage.html

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Speakers are 'traditionally' elevated to the peerage on retirement by the leader of the party to which they belonged before being elected Speaker.  However, Speakers are also traditionally non party political and neutral.

Bercow gave up neutrality over Brexit - and so Johnson has not proposed him for a peerage.

It seems that now Comrade Corbyn has stepped in and proposed Bercow. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7904117/Jeremy-Corbyn-nominates-John-Bercow-peerage.html

Aye, the £300 per day just for turning up will come in handy for him!:mad:

I, personally, have my house and pension thanks to John Bercow's intervention when the DWP found me fit for work whilst suffering Chronic Kidney Disease, with his help we brought the DWP to a tribunal and charged them with Professional misconduct ( my G.P. refused to sign me fit for work) - Mr Bercow was with me when they were found to be guilty and forced to pay me back pay plus considerable compensation - so he's not all bad in my book.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

That was good for you Bruno, shouldn't have happened in first place but you got the right result.

What the man done over brexit, I wouldn't let him have the title of toilet attendant, never mind a peerage but if that's the rules..

hello, good post figgy

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I, personally, have my house and pension thanks to John Bercow's intervention when the DWP found me fit for work whilst suffering Chronic Kidney Disease, with his help we brought the DWP to a tribunal and charged them with Professional misconduct ( my G.P. refused to sign me fit for work) - Mr Bercow was with me when they were found to be guilty and forced to pay me back pay plus considerable compensation - so he's not all bad in my book.

hello, i understand where you coming from Bruno, i went through a similar situation with the DWP and ATOS, the later i found were complete *******

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Thats simply what he is paid for isn't it, like someone empties your dustbins, so on that basis I elect mel to a peerage for doing his job.

I see Ms Bailey Bridge has said she will not support a peerage for him in the mornings papers.

Edited by Walker570

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i heard there was talk of The House of Lords to be set up outside of London, any ideas where ????

Redcar ?.....................that will cramp their style...........wont be able to sighn in and get their allowance then nip into their various london clubs for the rest of the day...followed by the opera...and a nice show in town...........it will be more of fish&chips at harry ramsdens followed by...star wars at the local flea pit.....

what a shame ....i feel for them

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i heard there was talk of The House of Lords to be set up outside of London, any ideas where ???? or where would you like ????? 

I don’t really care where it is, my concerns are more about the way people are appointed and un-removeable. It needs to drop the title "house of lords" and be a fully elected upper house. 

No more appointments of friends or appointing people for favours rendered, or failed politicians.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

I don’t really care where it is, my concerns are more about the way people are appointed and un-removeable. It needs to drop the title "house of lords" and be a fully elected upper house. 

No more appointments of friends or appointing people for favours rendered, or failed politicians.

hello, i fully agree with you but elected by who, it will never be made a peoples vote

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i fully agree with you but elected by who, it will never be made a peoples vote

It will never change, they may move it but it will fundamentally remain the same.

It should be elected the same as the House of commons, the people of the UK should have a say on who their law makers are and who is taking from the public purse. But I'm not naive, this will never happen.

Edited by Newbie to this

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thats simply what he is paid for isn't it, like someone empties your dustbins, so on that basis I elect mel to a peerage for doing his job.

I see Ms Bailey Bridge has said she will not support a peerage for him in the mornings papers.

How very kind of you neville . I'd actually fit in quite well in the house of Lords,  I go to work as little as possible,  and do xxxx all when I get there😊.