Bad habit

dad

since changing to an o/u from sbs i have picked up a bad habit of sitting the bird on top of the barrels and shooting under neath and lifting my head up off the stock especially on driven birds over my head i have hardly hit one all season its got so bad i try to shuffle round and take ad a over head crosser. Any tips please.

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Use the sxs again. 

Sorry couldn't resist 

That is exactly what I would have said , we don't know why ( dad ) changed in the first place and how well he shot with a s x s when he was using one , he might have his own logical reasons and I hope he get it sorted out one way or another .

hello, a bird that is coming directly over head needs a conscious thought of ahead lead time, i went from a side buy side back in the 1970s and it takes some getting use to, i brought the gun up from below a shot  past bird, crossers its a swing through and judge the lead time, not forgeting your footwork  that plays an important part of shooting, i bought the book The Art of Good Shooting by major ruffer, . i think my self taught way you do get into habits with a side by side than can effect the shooting of an O/U, saying that i am still what i term an average shot, if you do shoot better with a side by side and do not clay pigeon shooting as a priority i would say as above keep shooting the S/S  as the main gun

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

A comb raiser could help the gun shoot higher if you wanted to stick with it. Try it with tape first, then decide what to do?

We don't know how old the op is and how long he had been using his s x s before he decided to change to a over / under , If like me , I have been shooting a s x s for most of my life and must had developed many bad habits , but at the end of the day I shoot fairly well and to me that is all what matters ,..... if it ain't broke then it's no need to mend it :good:

Thanks for your comments guys i used the sbs for 30yrs i think it is quarter and half fixed chokes at the time in cambs area 30yd pheasants and partridge were the norm but now we seem to leave them untill 40-60yds and 32 and 34grm carts in the little berreta sbs with a plastic stock butt plate knocked my spine about too much by the end of the day. I did take it for a short trip out last week out of desperation on pigeon but it was very windy and the birds were all over the place and i struggled too much to risk saturdays game day

18 hours ago, dad said:

since changing to an o/u from sbs i have picked up a bad habit of sitting the bird on top of the barrels and shooting under neath and lifting my head up off the stock especially on driven birds over my head i have hardly hit one all season its got so bad i try to shuffle round and take ad a over head crosser. Any tips please.

get it fitted       the gun may be shooting low so you cannot understand why you missed   hence lifting your head to see if you killed  or left eye taking over as stock too low either way a decent gunsmith can alter the stock      elderkins  in Spalding  Wisemans in Cannock   or similar gun makers will help      a shotgun must shoot were   you are looking  and no two guns are the same          high end guns are fitted just like a high end tailored suit           get fitted  you will not regret the £ 

Morning dad cheapest way to go is  to shoot at a pattern plate to see were the gun is actually shooting then rectify bad habits with a good instructor or if gun doesn’t fit properly do as salting says get the gun fitted you won’t regret it ps it pays to shoot at a pattern plate quite regularly 

On 20/01/2020 at 07:08, dad said:

Superglue 😀

On 20/01/2020 at 07:08, dad said:

hello, what O/U did you buy and what side by side do you have