Which Traps are good?

silver pigeon69

Having used promatic extensively in the past, I would have to say they make the better products, although I prefer the bowman rabbit type traps. I always found promatic easier to fine tune and fettle. We used to hire bowman traps in on occasion and they never let us down. I haven't had much experience with the most recent models of any clay traps, the weak points of promatic always used to be the motor/gearbox which would give trouble if they ever let water or had been improperly serviced. But they were out in all weathers and were used heavily. They may well have gone brushless now which would eliminate a lot of the problems I used to experience. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the big names, and certainly laporte and autosporter are worth considering. It all comes down to cost I suppose. 

Promatic and Bowman both make really good quality commercial grade machines and both will provide reliable service.  Bowman’s typically don’t need any tools tools to set and adjust the trap for tilt, rotation and elevation and not having to carry a bag of spanners is great.

Bowman also offers a really personal level of support, if you need to you can pick up the phone to Andrew Bowman himself and ask him a question about the traps that he designs and builds.  Support from Promatic is also very good indeed.

If buying a load of traps for a commercial ground I would go for Promatic, if buying a few traps for a small club then either would be a good choice, if buying 1 or 2 traps for personal use then Bowman just for the level of personal support and convenience of the machines.

10 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Why only the two, we have 12 auto traps and 50/50 promatic and Laporte and they have all given good service. Laporte recently did an offer of the pallets of Clays with a new trap. They may well be doing a deal for the upcoming shooting show

Nowt much wrong with Laporte traps for sure and the deals with the pallets of clays was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Promatic are possibly the World leading brand , but some of the build quality is questionable  and often takes a bit of tinkering to get the trap reliably working ( cost cutting?)

Bowman robust , reliable and as said personal service from Andrew.

BUT ! What's wrong with International maker Laporte? Quality proven product , good engineers based in the Midlands , first choice for Olympics and Olympic disciplines , plus with the pallet of clays options you get the traps at very close to zero cost after you have sold the clays at retail or competition prices .😄

LaPorte Traps are excellent Build Quality and The Clay Pigeon Company are a pleasure to dealt with. Watch out for when they have there Free Clay Deals on as it vastly improves the costs of purchasing one or more of their traps.

I also recommend Bowman Traps due to their excellent aftersales service from Andrew. He is always available to give advice over the phone or even visit your ground to pass on his experience. The traps have been produced with a great deal of thought for the ease of adjusting without the use of spanners and I now have quiet a large number on my shoot which are proving to be very reliable along with the LaPorte traps I also use.

The most important thing for me with both these Companies has been the friendly and professional after sales service even though we are not a large premier Ground. 

• 1 month later...